1 Gun.................. | Page 2 | Trap Shooters Forum

1 Gun..................

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Passport, Jan 17, 2015.

1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I'm certainly no EXPERT but IMO a 50/50 gun is a little low. I would suggest 60/40 for all around shooting.

anti thanked this.
  2. anti

anti Well-Known Member

Agreed.

And while you could use one gun for anything, because people who don't make a lot of money do all of the time, it's always more enjoyable when you have the "right tool for the job".

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned

If you are shooting under straight away's, compensate. Tell yourself to shoot higher.

You should buy a P or K gun, people don't like getting beat by lessor guns.

4. Heeringa

Heeringa Well-Known Member

stop lifting your head. or if you're gonna lift your head, at least try to shoot a little higher.

5. bobski

bobski Banned User Banned

welcome to the trap of chasing dope and information saturation.

it boggs down a lot of shooters, where they over stimulate themselves with too much info and not enough common senses shooting disipline. seems today everyone is looking for that secret side door to the top, using technology, math, science, and snake oil...bypassing years of shooting and accumulating trigger time.
    the 1100 you have will crush targets all day. so what if its a 50/50 pattern. as long as you know that..adjust!
    one gun for each sport is for people who dont want to adjust and can afford the luxury of a set of golf clubs for clays.....and listen closely to this......

snake oil and gadgets are for people wanting that ONE EXTRA BIRD to win a match. if you arent shooting straights yet......stop worrying about all this data and techno stuff.

grab your gun, grab a box......go shoot and learn your gun. do this, if all you want is one gun for all sports.

old military saying, 'it aint the gun, its the nut behind the bolt.'

its all i teach at my range.... shooters who never shot and show up with grampas guns. i teach them how to COMPENSATE for its quirks. most that come here just need to know how to shoot in a barn, or in a field of corn at crows. no one out here aspires to competitive levels. so all this snake oil traning and data is meaningless to this kind of crowd.
    learn the gun, shoot the gun, hit your targets.... be it with a 100.00 gun or a 10,000.00 gun. shoot it until it wears out and buy another one.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  6. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Active Member

Passport - if you can break 20 with that 1100, you can break 25 - just give it time for the computer between your ears time to calibrate. BUT, if you really are looking to make a switch to another 1-gun soluition, consider that new Browning everyine is all gaga over - I think it's called a Cross Over? I think you'll be fine w/the 1100 if yotu stick it out. Believe Rudy Etchen shot an 870 and he did ok.....

7. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Active Member

If you know where it shoots - that's where to shoot. My TMX is a dead nuts 50/50 and it breaks a lot of good scores. But being perfectly honest, no better than my 1100.

8. Dolby Connor

Dolby Connor Active Member

1. Are you shooting trap any better with your 1100 Trap? (i.e., is it the new gun or is it you?)
    2. Are your scores in skeet and sporting down too, or just trap?
    3. If you like a different POI for different games, why not determine your POI for a given number of washers on your adjustable comb and adjust washers between games? If you're slow, it might take about two minutes to switch.

9. jacksback

jacksback Well-Known Member

First a question: how good are you really with the 1100 at sporting clays; meaning what class are you in, about how many registered targets do you shoot in a year and what is your current average?

10. CactusJW

CactusJW Well-Known Member

you can never have to many guns, I've got one for every shooting sport. including pistols and rifles. LOL

jack mc

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned

ONLY ONE?:) Get out there and spend some money. It's more fun when everything is multiple choice.:D

12. gbanker

gbanker Active Member

Hope it works out for you as I have given some thought to doing the same as you with the 1100 CS.

13. bigben

bigben Active Member

Passport, yes you can shoot one gun for everything, however the only non variable is the receiver! skeet open choke, and sporting clays depending on the lay out slightly tighter, now trap, adjustable stock, full choke a barrel either bent or an offset choke tube to impact higher. I know you will hear from a few shooters that they can shoot all 3 sports with one gun, but they are not championship scores! Go to the Grand with your 50/50 gun and shoot 27 yd. targets against the best you will probably not prevail! Play Tiger woods with one club 18 holes guess what? your hind end will be served to you on a plate! The old days are gone forever, scores are up across the board in every sport, yesterday's winning scores are atta boy today! enjoy your quest, incinerate em!

14. jacksback

jacksback Well-Known Member

Passport, my question above was not intended to be a smart alec reply, but an effort to help you understand the foibles of a "1 gun" solution. I'll elaborate with an assumption you are a reasonably accomplished sporting clays shooter, because I can then relate directly to you.

I am a sporting clays shooter. I shoot skeet recreationally or for sporting warm-ups with my clays gun. I shoot trap and wobble trap recreationally with my clays gun. My clays gun is set up a skosh higher than 50-50 (not quite to 55-45), which I think is about ideal for the variety of targets we see on a the tougher sporting and FITASC courses. I am in Master class and have about an 83% average -- IOW, pretty competitive but not (yet) among the top dogs in the 90's ;)

I can expect to shoot a 98 in skeet if I really focus hard at it and on my best day, maybe possibly a 99. I might shoot a 98 or 99 in regular trap from the 16 yard line, that will drop 2 more at the 21 and prolly drop more like 8 more still if I shoot at the 27. IOW, I am recreationally competitive in skeet and trap, but not tournament competitive in either...

In order for me to be tournament competitive in skeet, I would probably only need to raise my comb about 3mm and switch to proper skeet loads and then practice like crazy for 6 months to get the timing down. To be tournament competitive in trap, I would need a dedicated gun with different stock, pad and barrel, and probably weight bias, and then seriously have no idea how easy (or hard) it would be for me to learn to focus well enough at that game to bust 100 straight -- and to be competitive in trap from the shorter and mid handicap yardages, you need to be able to pretty regularly post 100's; a 98 and you're out of it.

15. Leo Suhre

Leo Suhre Active Member

change barrels

16. Passport

Passport Well-Known Member

OK, cant be done with 1 gun..... Went back to my 1100 Trap, ran 50 as hard as ya can run em. Problem solved............. Guess if you wan to shoot good trap, shoot a trap gun...... Who knew?

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, one gun "fit" works for me.

My basic target shotgun for trap and sporting clays is an 1187 with a raised comb.

I have a lot of difficulty hitting aerial objects with a different POI. So I set up an 1187 20ga, a camo field 1187 12ga and an 1100 trap with the same exact POI. I can switch between them because they all shoot where I look.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

I shot 50 Singles with my trusty K-80 last Saturday and broke a whopping 41. Totally confused as everything looked good but the targets kept flying and I wasn't getting around on anything to the right. I brought along #1 son's Winchester SX-1, stuffed a release in it and broke 49 out of the next 50. Maybe I found the gun!!

19. anti

anti Well-Known Member

A couple of months back there was a 13-year-old kid who had his dad drive him up to Triple B's in LA County all the way from San Diego who wound up breaking 100-straight with his stock SX. Whooped all of us! They were still nice enough to give us some money since the kid was a junior.

20. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Leo has a video that might help you figure out what is going wrong, or you could spend thousands of $$$ on trial and error for many years to come. If you are interested, contact me: [email protected]
    It's nearly impossible to determine what is happening sight unseen, maybe someone needs to stand behind you? good luck

Search tags for this page

trap shooting scores gone down