1 Gun.................. | Trap Shooters Forum

1 Gun..................

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Passport, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Passport

Passport Well-Known Member

Im sure this has been beaten to death but what the heck..

Over the last few months I have been trying to use 1 gun for everything, PLEASE DONT MIX THIS UP WITH ONLY OWNING ONLY 1 GUN (got forbid), Im not that deranged......

Im shooting a 1100 Comp Synthetic and love the gun, love taking only 1 gun to the club, its easier. Im shooting 3 dram #8's at everything, its easier.

Problem is my trap scores have gone down by about 2 birds, Im usually a pretty strong 24 shooter, I know, 24 is like kissing your sister but what can I say. Now Im in the low 20's and Im officially pissed. I know Im shooting under straight away's. Please do go down the ammo path to the misses, its me.

So stick it out and make it work or go back to my original "golf bag" theory? 1 gun for skeet, 1 for trap and another for sporting?

Im really a sporting clay guy at heart and do believe the old saying "watch out for the guy who shoots one gun"

2. redudley

redudley Well-Known Member

I've never been able to use one gun for everything even though it would be nice. Suggest you get yourself a proper trap gun and shoot for perfection.

3. bobski

bobski Banned User Banned

one gun works for me.
    winchester knew the theory pretty well with its 2 bbl sets.

my2bblypigeon12[1][1].jpg

slide action thanked this.
  4. Rem_1100

Rem_1100 Member

1100 competition is very much a trap gun... Use a birchwood casey shell catcher for singles and flip it down for doubles

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned

passport, How about your other scores? You're smart enough to know it's not your gun loosing accuracy. Did you shoot 24's with your 1100? That 1100 can break anything thrown. You seem to like it, I'd shoot it and have fun. Keep your eyes on the target, they will start breaking again.

6. Rem_1100

Rem_1100 Member

Fwiw I my adjustable comb is adjusted noticeably higher on my 1100's than my BT's or XT to achieve the POI that I prefer. My .02

7. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I think if your serious about being the best you can be, then one gun doesn't work. If you get one of the Browning O/U Sporting Clays guns with tubes you may have a chance. I'd hang up the 1100 and get an O/U. Leo shot a quiver full of 1100's and became an expert at fixing them. I still think some of his friends stole them all, so he would get better equipment. Long story short, he got hooked up with Beretta and the rest was history. I've heard it said more than once, when Leo was starting out, that if he had a decent gun "NO ONE" could beat him!

8. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Yes, it can be, mine is, depends how their adjustments are set.

I have set the comb adjustment to match my other montecarlo stocked trap guns, if gives the same comfort for me and POI as my other trap guns, it weighs close to 9 pounds, has a great trigger, and the Probore full choke grinds trap targets.

I have had mine for two years and it has spoiled me for shooting anything else, the perceived recoil reduction is amazing. It helps me to keep my head on the stock for follow through. In my last 100 targets at 16 yards I am 98/100; this is cold weather winter practice, I am not shooting a lot and I am getting over recent arthroscopic knee surgery, so I am pleased with that run.

Back to the original post, I am assuming you have checked out the POI and it is set so it is suitable for trap? I am sure you have, but thought I should ask.

9. leadingedge

leadingedge Active Member

I shoot one gun for everything, trap, skeet, sporting. It is a 34" MX 10, I also tried a new single barrel for handicap last year. The single barrel was easier to control in the wind but my scores did not change, and I found myself wondering which gun to shoot and would I be better off today with this or that one. The KISS rule comes to mind, I also ask people if they look at targets differently when they are shooting the different games or do you always look at the target the same way. If you always look at the target in the same way, then why would you have guns that shoot in different places. Like you said, my father always warned me about that guy with one gun. Hope this helps.

Darrell

10. Passport

POI is 50/50, remember Im shooting skeet and sporting with it as well so 50/50 is the only way to fly for me. My trap guns shoot 60/40 or a tab bit higher. I can set the gun up to shoot higher but don't want to jack with messing with the comb, want to just change choke tubes and go.

11. Passport

Been there, done that. Owned em all from K guns all the way down and keep coming back to a good old 1100... Trap shooters in general feel a new gun will help them shoot better, I disagree. Its the Indian, not the arrow. Thus my thinking 11 gun might be the way

12. Passport

Maybe Im not being clear with my goal. The goal is to not just shoot trap well but ALL clay target games. Factor that into the equation, probly should have been more clear from jump. My bad.

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Are your scores lower at just one club in particular, or do you shoot at other places with the same results? Perhaps you've developed eye dominance issues that you're unaware of?

14. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

If your serious, then change comb height.

15. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I would be shooting under some targets with the 50/50 POI, myself.

Keeping the same comb height/POI for all the games is a challenge, IMHO.

It is easy for me to say, trap is my main game and it is the only option in our area (other locations I have lived have had more choice).

I have shot trap for 40+ plus years and found I can do pretty well on skeet with a trap comb. However, if I was shooting skeet or sporting more seriously, I would likely go for a 50/50 POI.

I would agree with Pheasantmaster, if I really wanted good scores, I would adjust the comb; for me on the 1100 CS, it would be a matter of the two Allen Screws and adding or removing some washers, adding, for trap to get the height where I needed it.

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Passport, it seems that you know the answer to your problem. As stated in your first post, "Im officially pissed", and "I know Im shooting under straightaways."

GneJ

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Get your favorite break open (maybe a bt99) out of the safe for trap.
    Use the 1100 for the rest of that crap.
    Bill

18. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Shot with a man who shot a Perazzi, I think a Comp 1 O/U for everything, trap, skeet, bunker, flyers and sporting. He was a very tough competitor especially on flyers.
    His gun had fixed chokes and when he started shooting sporting he would pull the trigger out and change the tree to change the firing sequence depending on presentation. This guy was in the money more often than not in every game he played.

A lot of great scores have been put up with flat shooting guns, I think it's know your gun well enough so you know where to put it on any presentation rising, falling crossing, incoming.

Surfer

19. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What's not clear is, were you shooting 24's with the Comp? Or are you shoot poor scores since you switched to just the Comp?

20. Passport

I was really shooting my 1100 Trap well, lots of 50, odd 100 here and their. Just wanted to go to the Comp to do the 1 gun thing. Im just bitching I guess. Im going to keep on with the comp and make the adjustment.... I need to give it an honest run, if I cant make it work Ill go back to my trap gun.

Search tags for this page

trap shooting scores gone down