Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version -

Anybody have any experience loading STS with 1 1/8 of shot, ~17.8 grains of ClayDot, WAA12 clone wad, and either WW-209 or Fiocchi 616 primer?

Long version for inquiring minds that need to know -

I generally use 1 ounce reloads for most shooting, but use factory 1 1/8 ounce when it really counts. I'll be shooting a shoot where is counts, but doesn't quite meet the 'really counts' threshold. So I thought I might use some 1 1/8 ounce reloads.

I'm using Clay Dot. I'm using that simply because at my last purchase my dealer had Clay Dot but not the Promo I usually use. I know, that's not the way it is supposed to be, but it was. But I sorta like Clay Dot's cleaner burn and especially like its better metering.

But I never loaded 1 1/8 ounce Clay Dot before. I was surprised how few 1 1/8 ounce Clay Dot loads that Hercules lists.

I'll use STS and WAA12 clone wads. I generally use Fiocchi 616 primers but have a couple of bricks of WW-209s set aside for special occasions.

My MEC #32 bushing throws ~17.8 grains of Clay Dot. My MEC #31 a tad less than 17.0.

Alliant book shows 17.3 grains with the WW-209 primer for 1145 fps. I can live with 1145 fps. Nothing listed for 1200 fps with those components. But I'll be using an auto that can get funky with wimpy loads and I'm afraid <17.0 might send it funky, and I'll not have the opportunity to test fire these loads before the event. That auto just gobbles up and spits out 17.8 grains of Clay Dot with 1 ounce of shot.

But Hodgdon shows 18.4 grains of regular Hodgdon Clays giving 1200 fps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not really THE answer you are looking for, but I have loaded about 5 lbs of Clay Dot in both Rem. STS and Fed. ribbed hull. Pretty forgiving powder as I've loaded a few recipes using Rem. and Fed. primers with Downrange clone wads accordingly. In the STS w/ Fed. (hotter) primer, I went down to about 16.5 grains and the Beretta auto I used spit them out, no problem. STS w/ Rem. primer and Fig 8 clone w/ 17.5 worked great also. I think the powder is very dirty to work with, but shoots great. Sorry, I don't have the exact component info you are looking for.*** Edit: As 687trap says, published data is absolutely the thing to trust. Only saying what has worked for me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I recommend only using published loading data for my or your reloading. Clay Dot is suppose to be a clone of Clays and the data is suppose to be the same according to Allient. That being said if you look on Hodgdon Website and look up data for Clays powder it will give you a good idea where you are at with your reloads. They have a lot of Clay's data for loading the load you are trying to achieve . I use STS Hulls, Fio Primers, AA replacement wads (Blue Dusters), 1 1/8 oz of hard shot and 17.0 grains of Clay Dot. For me this load works, pretty mild. You have to be careful with this powder as pressure will go up in a hurry. You are right, there is not a lot of data on Alliant's website. This load works for me; please research the numbers for yourself. Never trust one of us on this site!!!!!!

Hope this helps get you in the ball park. Good Shooting to You.

Ron

·
Banned
145 Posts
I have been using claydot/clays for many years with the mec #31 bushing. Load STS hulls with a claybuster windjammer clone and either winchester or federal primers. Shoots very soft but breaks targets very well. Tried using clays/claydot for velocities of 1200 FPS and found the recoil to be unbearable, need to use a slower burning powder like green dot or 800X. Will not make many friends shooting 800X as the muzzle report is very loud, good velocities, low recoil but very very dirty.

Good shooting, Tony Generose

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have loaded Rem and Win shells with WAA12 clones, W209, Clay Dot 17-17.3, 1 1/8 shot. Nice loads. Have switched to WAA12SL clone with powder 17.3-18.3, 1oz shot and I seem to be hitting targets a lot harder. As always....if I do my job I can't blame it on my shells. Brian M Stevens

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would certainly caution loading anything not published, but what nobody has mentioned is the pattern deformation when the pressures get too high. The burn rate for ClayDot is perfect for 7/8 and 1 oz. shells. When pressures start to get high, the pattern goes all kerflewy. I realize it's the only powder you have on hand, but I'd rather shoot a 1 oz. load with a good pattern than a 1 1/8 oz. load all over the place with the middle of the pattern blown out. Or, maybe you can find a 1 lb. jug of a 12 G. powder more suitable for 1 1/8 oz. loads.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would load the 17.3 gr. with the 1 1/8 oz. , which will give you the 1145fps. That load should cycle any autoloader. (Unless there`s something wrong with the gun.)

Regards , Pete

·
Registered
421 Posts
STS hull with 17.5 gr of Clay Dot, 1 1/8 oz #8 shot,DR Fig 8 clone and a Cheddite primer is what I use for my 16 yd load. It's good for about 1145 fps and is comfortable to use; shot my first 100 straight with that load. Clay Dot is not the powder for handicap beyond the 20 yd line. Go with 20 gr of Green Dot with the above components for a comfortable 1200 fps load that you can use to the back fence.
John

·
Registered
101 Posts
I load 1 1/8 with waa12 wads, STS or AA hulls and win 209 primers, 18.2 gr Claydot and have for many years. I LOVE THIS LOAD I use this for 16 back to 27 without much difference. Very happy!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
IMO, Green Dot for 1200 fps and Unique for 1250 fps. Save the Clay Dot for 1 oz. loads.

You can use a hammer for a screwdriver but it is best to use the right tool for the job.

I love 19.5 grains of Green Dot in a ribbed Federal Gold Medal hull, a 12S3 ClayBuster clone wad, a Nobel Sport 209 primer and 1 1/8 oz. of magnum 7 1/2's. This load is probably around 1125 fps with the Nobel Sport primer. I use Federal 209A's when I can find them at a reasonable price. The Federals make this more of a 1145 fps load.

I used to use the original Federal Gold Medal Paper Extra Lite load which was listed at 1125 fps and this load seems to me to be very similar. I have shot it so long that I can break targets from just about any distance up to 35 yards behind the house in games. It is very light recoil.

Ed Ward

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Sam Browne

Call Alliant and ask them.

Period.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alliant says ClayDot "Duplicates the performance of Hodgdon® Clays™ at an economical price"

Hodgdon has a load with my components with 18.4 grains of Clays.

Why would 17.8 grains of ClayDot be a problem?

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Sam,

"Hodgdon has a load with my components with 18.4 grains of Clays. Why would 17.8 grains of ClayDot be a problem?"

Because although ClayDot has nearly the same performance, it is NOT the same powder formula. The prudent and wise person would call the manufacturer of the powder you are actually going to use, and NOT go by the data of the manufacturer of a powder you are NOT using, to find out for sure.

You are a big kid, and can do what you want.

I'm just telling you what I would do.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I load 17.2grs Clay Dot with one ounce loads and find it a soft shooting, target smoking recipe for singles. With the heavier 1-1/8oz payload I keep the 17.2grs and it works great for 2nd shot on doubles. Tried some at 17.5grs but recoil got a bit snappy to suit me so backed down to my standard 17.2grs. Use WW209 primers and DR tgt copy for ounce and DR fig 8 copy for the other.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I am using a jug of Claydot right now making 1 1/8 Oz @ 1150 fps shells. I think it is very good powder and it will run any gas operated 12 gauge. Don't try to push for higher velocities with this powder and the 1 1/8Oz payload.

FWIW, the 1 1/8 oz x 1150 fps shell with #7 1/2 or #8 magnum grade shot will smokeball any trap target you may encounter.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm glad I opened this post. From what I've read here and gathered off Alliant and Hodgdon's reloading pages Clays and ClayDot are NOT interchangeable. I had my doubts.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you will just put 18.5 gr in there you will love them for life and won't look back. Been doing that for years now. the beav

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you will just put 18.5 gr in there you will love them for life and won't look back. Been doing that for years now. the beav

1 - 20 of 30 Posts