Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin shoots at the 22 yard line and came into a bunch of Estate Super Sport with these characteristics and wants to try them at handicap.

Any thoughts on whether he is wasting his time and ought to go back to 7 1/2's for handicap?

·
Registered
32,296 Posts
Sounds good to me.

Reactions: SDBigDog55

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You're going to hear it both ways. Bottom line .... have him shoot them and come back and share his opinion ... it will be based on real-world experience, unlike a lot of responses you're likely to get. OR, have him ask his girlfriend.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Way more speed than needed, but they will work. I wouldn't shoot them, but I don't like fast shells.

8's is all that is needed for any distance and any discipline.

·
Registered
32,296 Posts
Way more speed than needed, but they will work. I wouldn't shoot them, but I don't like fast shells.

8's is all that is needed for any distance and any discipline.
zactly, 1-1/8- 8’s at 1145 fps plenty nough, from 22.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
My cousin shoots at the 22 yard line and came into a bunch of Estate Super Sport with these characteristics and wants to try them at handicap.

Any thoughts on whether he is wasting his time and ought to go back to 7 1/2's for handicap?
They will break clay for sure.

Its All Good
West

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ran through a box of those from 26yds recently, broke clays well...although another shooter I was watching you could hear an audible 'clank' on a couple misses and light breaks, I would not hesitate at 22yds to use them, recoil was manageable I thought (shooting through a ported barrel though)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have a number of cases of clever mirage 1 1/8 OZ #8 @ 1250, got a great deal on them and am working my way through them in my A400 sporting, to much thump in my o/u, but they do smash targets.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
At 22 yards 1250 11/8 is way overkill.

1145 of 8,s or 71/2,s is more then enough at 22 yards.

Sooner or later he will find that it's a trade off.
Recoil from 1250 will at some point will cost your friend targets and at that point he will begin to wonder why he chose such a heavy shell at 22 yards.

Then he if shooting lighter loads he will ask himself when he misses targets, would he have broken the targets with a heavy load.
When it all comes down to putting the shot on the target.

The final verdict will be a trade off.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most answers seem to hinge on recoil. At less than 27 yards shoot 1145fps but when you get to 27 yards most seem happy with 1250fps. Why not just get used to recoil at all distances?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Couple of thoughts

I think the affects of recoil are cumulative.
I want the right tool for the job.
For me that is no longer a 1250 fps shell at any yardage.

I have a friend who has started to shoot the Estate 1250 FPS, 8's @ 16 yards.
He has a couple of 100's recently and loves the shell.

I can think of a couple of top handicap shooters who use 8's all the way back to the 27.

I always want a Premium shell from the 27.

Its All Good

West

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
If one try's to just get use to and shoot the heavy 1250,s at everything as you have stated sooner or later ( depending on the individual felt perceived recoil)
And if he keeps shooting. With in time age will becoming a factor as well. I would highly recommend that he needs to start now looking as well as deciding who makes the best release triggers. For in MOST cases if he continues shooting on a regular basis.

He's going to need one!!!
You might take my word with a grain of salt but the dreaded thing will happen to him. The devil itself.
FLINCHING!!

As a good example no one can walk Thur a door thousands of time with someone slamming it into your shoulder or face everytime you walk thru it.
Sooner or later you are going to start cringing and bracing yourself when you walk up to that door and you see the door knob turning.

You know what's coming next!

This is a very crude description but with the exact same outcome.

Just my honest opinion!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts