Trapshooters Forum banner

1 1/16 shot loads

4124 Views 20 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  WPT
I am loading 12ga winchester AA shells with 18.4gn of reddot and 1 1/16ozshot load with WAA claybuster wad. Anyone have any comments on this load? I have never seen a recipie for 1 1/16oz before. Wonder if I should have any concerns. I use to load 1 1/8shot with 19gn of reddot and a waa claybuster wad with good success.

Give me some feedback
Steve
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
8,351 Posts
I used to shoot 1 1/16 oz factory loads, never knew the difference between then and 1 1/8 ... I can't remember the name of the company that made them, but they were good shells ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

· Registered
74 Posts
If you use a winchester primer in your 1 1/8 load you are one full grain above Alliant's max listed load which is 18 gr. If you want a load that fast you would be better served with green dot. The pressure on your 19 gr load of red dot would be way up there!

· Registered
2,526 Posts
WPT: I am sure he does but I gave some thought to 1 1/16 oz. loads too at one time. The purpose being the elimination to two loads. Never did try it but I can't see why it wouldn't be a viable all around load. Shooting ATA may alter one's feelings.

· Registered
6,205 Posts
If you reload using a recipe for 1-1/8 ounce loads using hard shot, you actually are loading 1-1/16 ounce shells. All shot bushings are calibrated for soft shot, which is heavier than hard shot, so hard shot yields 1-1/16 ounce in those bushings.

Ed

· Registered
1,716 Posts
Not going to get into an argument over the matter. Just saying I've had some of my best patterning results with 1 1/16oz loads. Go ahead and use 1 1/8 data, as long as your not shooting a low pressure load to begin with they should work great.

Robert

· Vendor
20,986 Posts
I doctored my extra one ounce bar to drop 1-1/16 by weight. A few less pellets makes for a better crimp. But maybe like Ed says, I am really at a higher number of pellets anyway. I like the 1-1/16 because of felt recoil. less by a significant "feel" amount.

· Registered
348 Posts
I am loading 1 1/16 oz 7 1/2 loads in Win AA and Rem Gun Clubs. I have an adjustable charge bar on my MEC 9000H and the adjustable charge bar allows me to fine tune my load to produce a great and consistent crimp. The result was 1 1/16oz. Works fine. The difference between 1 1/18 and 1 1/16 oz in terms of BB's is very few.

For AA HS with 1 1/16 7 1/2 here is my load
Win 209 primer
Downrange DRA-12 or CB-1118 wad
17.6g CLAYS
AA HS Hull.

Nice load that patterns well and looks good as far as crimp is concerned.

· Registered
988 Posts
AA-HS hulls seem to be the way to go - if you are looking for 1-1/16 oz loads. Probably due to the slightly lower volume inside the hull. I get perfect crimps with AA hulls and 1-1/16 of shot (scale weight verified) using the DR Versalite wad and also the OEM Fig8 wad. I am sure other 1-1/8 wads would work as well.

· Registered
2,397 Posts
1 1/16 oz. loads seemed to be almost totally overlooked in this country whereas in the UK and Continent it is the standard shot load as is the 1 1/8 load in the U.S. I switched to 1 1/16 oz loads about 25 years ago as my "heavy" shot charge for clays (trap, skeet, sporting). I have loaded with PW equipment since 1971 and when PW offered the 1 1/16 oz bushing (5.5) I have never loaded anything heavier. As for a load with this shot charge in a AA hull, Win 209 primer, CB WAA12 equivalent wad and 17.6 gr. Red Dot has always performed very well. I notice a decrease in recoil with no change in target crushing ability even when playing games such as Annie Oakley or Back Up. With this load in either a Ljutic Mono or Simson pre-war Pigeon gun I find that as long as the target is not in the weeds it will be broken if pointed right. I also use this same load for Sporting in a Perazzi MX8 with fixed chokes. With the long history of success with this load I probably won't be loading 1 1/8 oz. loads anytime soon. Best of luck in finding what works best for you and your equipment. Lyle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.