Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody make a 1-1/16 bar for the Mec 600 ? Mec does not advertise one. I don't want to go to the adjustable bar (had one and didn't like it). I know I can ream one out but, I would prefer skipping the processes of boring and checking until I got it right.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
if you remember the old saying.... if you want it done right .. do it yourself.

maybe bore one out to accept a PW bushing ? may not be enough metal there to do that....

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried the PW. Way too many moving parts and harder to adjust IMO. I went back to a Mec Grabber --To each his own I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,024 Posts
Does anybody make a 1-1/16 bar for the Mec 600 ? Mec does not advertise one. I don't want to go to the adjustable bar (had one and didn't like it). I know I can ream one out but, I would prefer skipping the processes of boring and checking until I got it right.
Mike, a standard 1.125 bar general drOps 470-475 grain scheme rally with good mag shot such as Lawrence or West coast. You need 465grs. A simple piece of tape should suffice.

·
Registered
22,910 Posts
MEC Charge Bar Progressive Press Lead Shot

lists 1 1/16th oz bar.

I've run MEC loaders so long that it is second nature and less time that it takes to explain a needed change to make that change. On PW's it takes longer to make a change than I like to contemplate for me. Others might have a reverse experience so like slider sez; To each his own.

·
Registered
22,910 Posts
OOPS sorry, forgot the 600 part of your question. Clear nail polish plus/or tape inside the shot cavity will do your job.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, a standard 1.125 bar general drOps 470-475 grain scheme rally with good mag shot such as Lawrence or West coast. You need 465grs. A simple piece of tape should suffice.
Martin , I did that once and the tape wore thru. Will probably do that again until I get to the Machine shop. If PW makes a 1-1/16th bar I will order it and have my buddies in the Machine shop tap a Mec bar out to accept it. I'm staying with 1 oz. for singles and doubles and all the better half's shells. Just thought I would try a few extra pellets for the Caps. Looks like the Boys at Mec would have made one by now But, maybe that's just me. BTW forgot to congratulate you on that great doubles score! Good Shootin!

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Get yourself a 1 ounce charge bar and open it slowly with a rat tail file. Easy to do, Aluminum is easy to work with a file.

The MEC Shot Bar typically throws a little light. Weigh your 1 1/8 oz bar and see what it throws. Mine are around 1/16 oz light.
That is the same thing I found on my Grabber, I never measured it on a 600.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
1 1/8 oz bar and a couple turns with a tapered reamer and you are done. HMB
You can't ream out a 1 1/8 hole and get 1 1/16th. I'm a retired math teacher, and used to teach fractions. :)

·
Registered
32,293 Posts
since charge bars and bushings are a volume measurement, I would suspect the majority throw a weight of 1-1/16 oz when weighed.

Question

Three ways to measure a shot charge, by weight, by volume, by accepted pellet count of shot size in 7/8, 1, 1-1/, 1-1/4, etc., such as with 7-1/2, 350 pellets in an 1-oz, 393 pellets in 1-1/8-oz.

If recipes are generally produced with volume measurement not weight and a shell is loaded with true weight measurement, then the performance given in the recipie will be off.

Now, what is method of measurement of a challenged shell if one ever was? Chronograph?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Curiosity forces me to ask the OP: Do you really need precisely 1-1/16 ounce? If so, why?

As several have already said, a standard MEC 1-1/8 ounce bar actually drops "close" to 1-1/16 ounces of modern alloyed shot.

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
647 Posts
Both my progressive bar and my single stage bar marked 1 1/8 oz throw almost exactly 1 1/16 oz of Lawrence Magnum shot in size 7 1/2 with no alterations. I'd been shooting these light loads unknowingly for years very satisfactorily. I did wonder why the 1 1/8 oz factory loads seemed to kick harder. So as others have said see what drops you are getting as is. Shot size and antimony level can make a difference.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The MEC's aren't bad machines for the money but in reality the materials used and workmanship isn't there if you're comparing it to a PW or Spolar. It took me a couple of weeks to get my MEC 9000G dialed in. I bought it used from a guy on here and when I received it I noticed it'd been damaged during shipping. The guy did a good job wrapping it and keeping things separate but he didn't pad it which is the most important step to any good packing job. This led me to assume I was just doing things wrong but come to find out that parts were bent way out of whack. The arm that pushes the charge bar was bent so badly it'd actually push the entire charge bar assembly back when pulling the lever down. I eventually figured it out by seeing how the machine works and from the help of others on here. Once you get it dialed in and properly lubricated it'll last a very long time if you keep maintaining it. I will be purchasing a Spolar in the future, though, since they're local and that makes support much easier.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The MEC 1 1/8oz Skeet Special charge bar throws 465gr of 7 1/2's almost perfectly.

Aaron
Aaron, I quit shooting skeet in competition many years ago after I retired from the Air Force. I have heard of a "skeet special" (which wasn't around then) and that it was designed for #9s to drop 1-1/8th without an over drop. I think I was told it is a tad bit smaller than a regular 1-1/8th bar. If that is so it might work out well for dropping 1-1/16th of 8s or 7-1/2s. Thanks for the idea. I might give it a try

·
Registered
171 Posts
In my experience with MEC loaders the 1 1/8 oz bars throw nearly dead on (492gr) with Eagle shot. Lawrence Mag, West Coast and STS all drop around 480gr or so. The Skeet Special will get you 465gr or very close.

Good luck,
Aaron

·
Registered
32,293 Posts
Not mine, and I use WCS too. you one lucky feller.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts