Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one tell me if there is a difference in patterning between 1 0z. vs 1 1/8th oz shot ? I shot 2 rounds of trap today with 1 0z. loads and did not notice any substantial difference in the target break at 16 yards.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
1.125oz has more pellets than the 1oz. So with the same choke you'll get a denser pattern from the 1.125oz. Through your full choke you probably won't notice a difference in your score at the 16 yard line so it's really not worth thinking about.
At long yardage handicap 1oz of pellets is going to put you at a disadvantage. 1.125oz patterns back there are already at their limit (or a hair passed).

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I've been experimenting with 7/8 oz loads instead of the 1 oz loads I usually use for practice. I don't notice much - if any - difference in breaks from the 16 yard line. If you have the gun pointed at the right place when you pull the trigger, the target will break. I'll still shoot 1 1/8 oz loads for trap league, but if I can practice effectively with a lighter recoil, less costly to reload round, it's all good. The pattern will be a little denser with more shot, but the size of the pattern should be the same.

I don't notice much difference in recoil between 1 1/8, 1 oz and 7/8.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
1.125oz has more pellets than the 1oz. So with the same choke you'll get a denser pattern from the 1.125oz. Through your full choke you probably won't notice a difference in your score at the 16 yard line so it's really not worth thinking about.
At long yardage handicap 1oz of pellets is going to put you at a disadvantage. 1.125oz patterns back there are already at their limit (or a hair passed).
The 16 yard line is much more forgiving than the 27, so my vote is not too much difference. Handicap is a whole different ballgame once you get back there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gentlemen. At 70, I am just a recreational trap shooter, 150-200 rounds a week. Having fun. Like I said, didn't see much difference at the 16. Recoil wasn't much difference either.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When I returned to trap shooting after surgery I noticed in practice whenever I went straight for 25 I was using 1 1/8 7.5 not the 10z 8's I had access to.
It convinced me there was a difference even if slight.
Obviously anecdotal and others experience may be different.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,763 Posts
1 oz of #8 lead shot has about 410 pellets.
1-1/8 oz of #7-1/2 lead shot has about 393 pellets.
The way I look at that is 1 1/8 oz of #8 is 461 pellets..

This topic always goes the same way, and it’s the same every time, ......someone wants to know the difference in pattern and effectiveness between 1 1/8 oz and 1 oz. “Not much”, they say. Then someone says they use 7/8 oz and don’t notice much difference between that and 1 oz. With that logic, you’ll eventually end up shooting 12 pellets.

To @Colorado 2018, if you don’t see much difference between 1 1/8 and 1 oz., then use 1 1/8 and it’ll pay off in targets even if you don’t always realize it.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
The way I look at that is 1 1/8 oz of #8 is 461 pellets..

This topic always goes the same way, and it’s the same every time, ......someone wants to know the difference in pattern and effectiveness between 1 1/8 oz and 1 oz. “Not much”, they say. Then someone says they use 7/8 oz and don’t notice much difference between that and 1 oz. With that logic, you’ll eventually end up shooting 12 pellets.

To @Colorado 2018, if you don’t see much difference between 1 1/8 and 1 oz., then use 1 1/8 and it’ll pay off in targets even if you don’t always realize it.

What is the ATA speed limit for 1/2oz of 9s? Asking for a friend!

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I still don't understand why some practice with 1oz loads or 7/8s then use 1 1/8s in a shoot. 1 1/8s all day ever day.
1. Less costly reloads
2. Reduced recoil
3. Refining your technique. Since you have less density in the pattern with a lighter load, it forces you to be ON target when practicing, improving results when competing.

Those are the reasons I can think of - there are likely others.

Pete

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I don't know about trap, but I recently shot a sporting clays tournament using 1oz instead 9/8oz for the first time and did significantly better than usual. I've never thought of myself as recoil sensitive, but I noticed I felt a lot less fatigued at the end of the day after about 125 rounds. I might try it out on trap and see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
For 7.5 shot at 90% PE at target distance, the following diameters are the portion of your pattern that guarantees at least a one pellet strike. 7/8-6.4". 1 oz-9.8". 9/8-12". The differences narrow with higher PEs, and widen with lower at target break distance.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts