Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me specifics of Cheddite, Fiocchi & Rio hulls. Are they all:

1. Unibody hulls like Remington & Winchester?
2. Straight Wall or tapered?
3. Can they be reloaded as many times as Remington?
4. What brand/type can be used in these three brand of shells.

I have only ever loaded 12 gauge Remington and Winchester AA as that’s what My Granddad & father told Me were the best. I have a harder time finding empty Remington & Winchester hulls. Especially in 16 gauge which I want to start loading soon as I was just given a 16 gauge Lee load all. Cheddite, Fiocchi & Rio seem cheaper and plentiful. Would prefer to use the same wad I use for Remington and Winchester on these seem to be “cheaper” hulls.

Thanks for any help, advise and shared experience!

Ned in NY

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
Cheddite, Fiocchi and Rio’ are all two piece hulls, a extruded plastic, cut to length, joined with a plastic base wad, covered with a steel case head. They are straight walled and not like Remingtons. Not worth reloading, but if you do, you need a wad for a straight walled hull.

The current production of Winchester hulls are not one piece hulls. The are made like other two piece hulls, but they are tapered inside. Different loading than Remington.

Federals are now like the Chedditte, Fiocchi and Rios, but they have a 8 star crimp instead of 6. If you want to reload steel base throwaways, better to load Federal/Estates.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheddite, Fiocchi and Rio’ are all two piece hulls, a extruded plastic, cut to length, joined with a plastic base wad, covered with a steel case head. They are straight walled and not like Remingtons. Not worth reloading, but if you do, you need a wad for a straight walled hull.

The current production of Winchester hulls are not one piece hulls. The are made like other two piece hulls, but they are tapered inside. Different loading than Remington.

Federals are now like the Chedditte, Fiocchi and Rios, but they have a 8 star crimp instead of 6. If you want to reload steel base throwaways, better to load Federal/Estates.

Thank you for taking the time. I have well over 1,500 12 ya Remington shells so will stick to them and then look for som used 16 gauge Remingtons for the new 16 ga reloader.

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
Thank you for taking the time. I have well over 1,500 12 ya Remington shells so will stick to them and then look for som used 16 gauge Remingtons for the new 16 ga reloader.
good luck with that, I seldom see 16ga and I have a couple 16ga guns.

Reactions: Devildogvet

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
The best way to get a stock of 16 ga. hulls to load is to buy loaded ammo and shoot it. You made a wise decision to stick with Remington hulls. They are easy to load, and no problems with stack height with bulky powders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts