1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ZZ's at Stockton this Sunday

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Guy, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy

Guy Member

wgh_2008_030319.jpg

2. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Dumb question but what are ZZs?

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

If you google the word Helice then you will get an education in ZZ's.

Basically they are clay targets (actually domed plastic targets) covered with a propeller wing that are launched upon the shooters call and they fly at great speed and in a random direction. The game is designed to be an animal friendly version of pigeon shooting. The objective is to separate the white dome and the orange wing so the dome lands inside the ring.

A VERY difficult game.

4. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I've never seen it or heard about it, but it looks fun! How many clubs are doing this? Huntinandhotrods

5. Guy

Guy Member

Here's the newsletter after the World Championships in Spain this year:

Dear USHA Members,

At the beginning of the month, the team of Rick Mein, Weldon Nichols, and Cody Compton traveled to Seville, Spain, to represent the United States Helice Association at the FITASC World Championship Helice event. They came back as the World Champions, and Rick Mein won the individual world championship. Cody Compton gave us a wonderful report; it is below. Please join me in congratulating them!

Mimi

Helice World Championship 2011 – Seville Spain

In April, I had the opportunity to travel to Seville Spain to represent Team USA in the Helice World Championship event with Rick Mein and Weldon Nichols. The shoot was comprised of three main events, The President’s Cup, the world championship event and the team event. This was my first experience with an international shooting event and I thought I would share some of my observations and experiences from the trip.

First, it turns out that Weldon Nichols is funny and amusing in all lands, both foreign and domestic, and his unique brand of charm bridges all language barriers. As we all know, Weldon cannot be guarded one on one, therefore Rick and I were sent to run a zone defense and our primary goal was to keep him out of trouble. I can report that for the most part, we were successful! Weldon served as the team captain, and did a great job of getting us organized and ready to go both before and during the shoot and he deserves a special thanks for all his efforts.

I would also like to thank one of our team sponsors, Theodore Wells, as he graciously provided the team with new shooting vests. I believe that the sharp vests clearly intimidated the other shooters and were at least partially responsible for our success.

The shooting facility was located between the towns of Seville and Carmona, and was nice and new. It had 6 combo fields that each had bunker trap, helice, and pigeons on the same layout, and two of the fields were also configured for international skeet and one even had what appeared to be a five-stand type set up. The clubhouse was large and open and there was a full restaurant and bar facility on site.

For this shoot, 3 of the helice fields were utilized, two of which were serviced by automatic traps. Unlike our shoots in the U.S., the format here had the shooter shoot two targets per field, and move on. It is a very different shooting experience to step up to the line knowing you are only shooting two targets before moving on, but you quickly get acquainted with the system. For the main race, the program was 25 targets, or 5 misses, whichever you got to first.

As I am sure you have heard, Rick Mein won the World Championship, and in typical Rick fashion he did it with class and humility. Our flight shot 12 birds on Saturday and 13 birds on Sunday. Rick ran them all, and after all the shooting was over there were only 2 perfect scores on the board. The other shooter was a Spaniard and therefore had the crowd behind him for the shoot-off. The shoot-off format was 10 birds, 2 at a time, and if it remained tied after that, it would move to a miss and out.

Rick went first in the shoot-off, and promptly separated his first two targets with two dead-center, deliberate and silky-smooth first barrels (for those of you that have watched Rick shoot, you know exactly what I am describing and it is no surprise). If that is not intimidating I don’t know what is and the other shooter realized that on this day beating Rick would be a tall order. His nerves showed as he stepped forward to shoot his two targets and he missed the first bird out. As it turns out, that was one miss too many. Rick proceeded to run the 10 target race (using 11 shots I believe) and when the dust settled the shoot off score was 10-8 and Mein, Riccccky (as he was known by the local announcer) was World Champion.

In his new found role of USA Shoot Ambassador, Rick made many friends by buying a round for everyone in the bar at the gun club. Glasses were raised, Rick was cheered, and for a moment all foreign relations were in order. That night, the three of us dined at a steak house across the street from the gun club (the World Champion’s treat of course). Rick made the mistake of walking through a large room in the restaurant full of shooters from other countries to go the bathroom, and he spent the next 30 minutes getting his picture made with other shooters from all over. While no one spoke the same language, the sign for “picture?” is universal and the smiles and laughs were hardy and free flowing!

The team competition followed, and each team put forth 3 shooters who would shoot 20 targets each. Again, this was shot two targets per ring, over three rings, so there was a lot of walking during the event. After the shooting was over, Team USA was tied with Spain at 53 targets each. The shoot-off format was 2 targets for each team member, and if it remained tied after that, it would go to a miss and out. Our fearless team leader, Weldon, did what he does best and opened the shoot-off by separating the first two targets with quick, solid first barrels. This set the tone for the rest of the team, as we scored 6 for 6 and Spain missed one. After the shoot-off was over, the American flag was flown once again and the national anthem played.

Having the USA take the individual title and the team title in the same shoot was quite the accomplishment, and we received sincere congratulations from the other shooters. The overall experience was incredible, and coming home with our mission accomplished made it even better.

6. Guy

Guy Member

huntinandhotrods: There are only a few clubs with rings open to the public....that's the main reason the game has a hard time attracting new players. The game has been played in Europe for 30 years.... and has become more popular there with the outlawing of live birds in some places.

The Italians have some fine clubs....more like resorts.....manicured sod, restaurants, bars.....and they shoot 5 or 6 days a week....but could be only 5 or 10 targets.....and they gamble on everything.

There are rings at the Dallas Gun Club, Stockton, Ca. and Martinez, Ca. Don't know of others......but there are many at private places......aside from the two clubs here, there are 3 more private places where we shoot. It is mostly pigeon shooters here.....when there is no flyer shoot around. Maybe somebody will chime in with other club info.

Seems that the biggest issue for alot of shooters is the money.....but that's only because it's a different kind of day, you don't shoot as many shells, and things move slower. The Stockton program above tells the story....but trapshooters look at that and say "TWO DOLLARS A TARGET!!".....and then, when they give it a try and find it's a very tough game to play, they don't come back. So it's all about how much money you spend for your day......at this game you can play all the money and spend $150 for the day, lunch and drinks included.....now figure how much your trapshooting costs for the day.....and here's the kicker.....the way we pay out the purse money, it usually pays 1/2 the players something. Most days you can win second place on just one of the 15's and pay for your day. Figure it out with, let's say, 15 players, and see what it looks like. Win much trapshooting these days?

We shoot the big bullets....1 1/4 oz. 3 3/4 dr. loads are max.....and with our crowd, you better not have a thin skin....there's always alot of bs flyin'.....but that's only because this group of guys just likes hanging around each other.....which is a nice thing about private places.....assholes don't get invited back.

Another issue the game has is that if you have only one ring, the max for players is about 20.....otherwise it's a long, slow day. With two rings things open up considerably.

It's too bad more clubs don't put in a ring.....it is a good money making deal for the club. But you need someone to ramrod it and promote it.....and you need a core group of about 13-15 players that will play every month. I have printed up forms for the things we do, and I would gladly send out copies if anyone is interested.....and can put you with a distributor for machines if you want.

7. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

WGH - Sounds like a great time. I love to shoot anything in the air from live birds to clay birds to beer bottles. If you throw it in the air I will shoot at it. I also like the games that take the heavier shells. I believe I have shot with some of the guys from Stockton at the Kingsburg pot shoots. With all the BS that was talked back and forth (all in the name of fun) I know what you mean about being thicked skin. I'm from Bakersfield and going that far on short notice isn't possible for me this weekend, but please let me know when the next ZZ shoot will be ahead of time and I would love to make the trip to shoot it. A new game that sounds like a blast. Thanks for the explanation of the game and good luck to you! Dwayne

8. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

Would like to shoot some ZZs but none around me. There is still a lot of live pigeon shooting that goes on, have a friend that does it but they are very hush hush and its tough to get in. Invitation only.

9. Guy

Guy Member

Dwayne: We generally shoot Stockton the first Sunday of the month, and Martinez the second Saturday of the month. pm me with your email and I'll put you on the email program list. We were going to change the September shoot date because of the holiday....but we changed it for the 4th of July weekend and the boys were whining there wasn't anywhere to shoot that weekend......so, after this Sunday shoot, we will decide the date for September. I think we'll shoot 9/4.

10. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Any more shoots schedules for Coon Creek?

btt..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting tournament spain weldon nichols