1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ZZ's at Coon Creek this Sunday

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Guy, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy

Guy Member

ZZ

Sunday 2/20.

Practice at 10am - Event at 10:30am.

pm or email me if you'd like a program.

Guy

2. Guy

Guy Member

ttt

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Where is Coon Creek?

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Northern Ca.

What is a ZZ shoot?

Bryan

5. Guy

Guy Member

It's the next best thing to the heroin of flyers.....it's shot on a pigeon ring with zz machines instead of bird boxes, and plastic propeller targets that will kick your ass. Google helice.

We've got the makings of a nice circuit here in Northern Ca. There are rings in Lincoln (Coon Creek), Stockton, Martinez, Comanche, Vernalis, and even out by Berryessa. The last three are private, but I don't know of anyone who couldn't get an invite if they wanted one.

Generally, we shoot in Stockton the first Sunday of the month....at Martinez the second Saturday of the month....and although the schedule is not confirmed as yet, we've been shooting the third Sunday of the month at Coon Creek.

It's a different kind of day than trapshooting.....you don't shoot as many shells.....you toe the line, shoot 5 targets, then go to the end of the line and wait until it's your turn again.....and if the targets don't smack you around, the peanut gallery surely will.....not really.....but when you draw a smoker, and you bust it solid, the boys will be whoopin' behind you.

Here's the other thing....when was the last time you won any money trap shooting....and how much was it? At our shoots, the purse is $90 entry, targets are $60.....for a total of $150 for the day.....and a day of trap, including shells and lunch and practice is how much? Anyway, the purse is split $30 to the front 15 (60/40), $30 to the back 15 (60/40), and $30 (one money) to HOA, ties divide.....but, if you win HOA, you cannot win either 15.....so money is essentially paid down 3 places.....and with 15 players in the purse, and break a second place score on just one of the 15's, you have paid for your day.....and that is a beautiful thing.....and let's say you tie with someone for second place on one of the 15's.....you still get back $90, and your day of shooting ends up costing you $60. It seems like half of the players get paid something...and if not, it's just swapping spit the next shoot.

It's just a slower moving day, there's usually alittle bullshit flying, but we have a fine time, with lots of food layin' around, and plenty of laughs.

Come look us up if you're close by. First time players shoot for half price ($30), targets only.

Guy Hungerford

6. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I'll be there as a first timer..A few quick questions:

Shot and dram limit on shells?

Number of shots per target? (gun and number of shells to bring)?

Register at the club?

Thanks

7. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

shell limit: No dram limit, you can shoulder it you can shoot it, 1 1/4 or less of 7 1/2 and smaller, plated shot ok. No reloads allowed. 100 shells is a lot to bring for a day unless you plan to practice more than a few birds.

Number of shots per target, two. Three if your shooting a single shot. (that's a joke) two shots per target.

Gun to bring: something light with 30" barrels, choked IM/F

Register at club: Bring cash. This is a great bunch of guys to shoot with, I wished I lived closer, I'd shoot it every weekend if I could.

8. Guy

Guy Member

Thanks Rick. I heard about your 29.....new stock works good, huh?

9. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

1 oz for FITASC overseas and US helice team qualification matches. 1 1/4 for west coast ring rules.

Guy, New stock is working well, selling my other stock to make room for the new DC model, SC2 or SC3- can't afford the SCO......trying to get 12/28 combo built, but looks like a year wait or longer to get that finalized.

10. Guy

Guy Member

The Italians invented ZZ's after live birds were outlawed in Italy.....so when the game came here, most of the players were live bird shooters.... 1 1/4 oz was the accepted program, as it was in Europe. Last year, FITASC, the governing body for sanctioned (registered) shoots in Europe and the US, decided that the ZZ game should be shot with 1 oz. only. Traditionally, the Italians have shot big bullets, just not that many....alot of their games are shot miss and out. So I think the old men that control things over there got tired of the thump of big bullets....and so the 1 oz. rule. It didsn't help that every other FITASC game is 1 oz. or 7/8 oz. Other than one US Team Selection Match a year, none of our shoots are FITASC sanctioned.

The deal is, most players here also shoot flyers, and since the ZZ game is played on a pigeon ring, except with plastic targets, they want to be able to shoot the big bullets.....and if you play this game, you'll know why. It is tough sob with 1 1/4 oz., let alone anything else. Of course, you can shoot 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. if you want.....there are some stiff 1 1/8 oz shells out there.....Federal has one at 1500 fps....it will shake your teeth.

Funny thing....the zz machines are made in France. Who'd have thought?

We're just really lucky here....we've got ZZ and flyer players that support both games, public and private rings to play on, and I think what helps the most is that these guys just like hanging around each other....this past Saturday, I swear, I laughed my ass off all day....and didn't win a thing.

11. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

My shooting friend and I (both new shooters) will be there Sunday.
    Our shooting is going to be ugly!

EDIT: One last question: Do you shoot both shots if the first only wounds the target?

Domenic

12. ekuhnhausen

ekuhnhausen Member

I have never shot this game but am interested. Can you shoot as a first timer without having to pay into the purse ?.

13. Guy

Guy Member

Purse is not compulsory.....and first time players shoot for half price....one time only.
    wgh_2008_0303113.jpg

14. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

ttt..

See you all tomorrow!

Domenic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.