1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ZZ's at Coon Creek this Sunday

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Guy, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy

Guy Member

Practice starts 10am - Event 11am.

PM or email me if you'd like on the program list.

Looks like it's going to be a nice turnout....the valley boys are coming.

Guy Hungerford
    916-802-5323

2. cafowler

cafowler Member

How much is it. Sounds interesting.... Supposed to be sunny and 54, ducks aren't cooperating, might be a good day to shoot something else.

3. 87AA

87AA TS Member

I believe Coon Creek is in Northern California about an hour from Sacramento. Helice (ZZ birds) normally go for $3 per bird and are shoot in 3 10-bird sub-events known as cranks for a total of 30.

4. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Coon Creek is in Lincoln CA, near Sacramento.

Mapquest 5303 Waltz Road 95648.

Fone is 916.539.8544. Be patient, Geroge doesn't always hang out in the club house; you may have to call a time or two.

- - Bill

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

The shoot program that Guy puts together for the Northern California ZZ rotation (Martinez, Stockton, Coon Creek and a couple of private facilities) is a 30 bird race shot in two 15 bird halves. Purse is non-compulsory. Price - well, contact Guy for the program but targets are cheaper than the price mentioned above.

If the weather cooperates I might video tape this match so folks can see what it is like. The targets are really difficult as the flight is completely unpredictable and random.

6. Guy

Guy Member

Note how we split up the money....the HOA winner cannot win the front or back 15....so essentially money is paid down 3 places.....normally a second place score in either 15 will pay for your day.....also, the miss and out pot can get up there.....$20 buy in...$10 buy back on the first crank only.....last man standing. This past Sunday, we had 8 players in the miss/out, $320 in the pot. Most can't pay for their day trapshooting.

This game just makes for a different kind of day....you don't shoot as many shells....things move alittle slower....there's usually some bs flyin'.....we lay out the food and drinks all included....figure out what a day trapshooting costs...targets, shells, couple rounds of practice, lunch.....then figure the chance of winning any money.

Alot of the players here are pigeon shooters....so when they aren't flying....we shoot zz's.

Also note that first time players shoot for $30, targets only.

The phone for Coon Creek is 916-539-8544

wgh_2008_030392.jpg

7. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

All you guys have a big time.. I know when I make it out there, I"ll have shotgun in the trunk.. Do you guys do this year around?

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Hatshooter - short answer - yes. Send an email to Guy at hungerford@live.com and he will put you on the email list for notifications of the ZZ bird events and you can match that up to a planned visit. The event rotation in Northern California includes Stockton, Gun Club, Martinez Gun Club, Coon Creek as well as a couple of private ranches. There are matches going all the time - not big crowds of shooters but this game is really, really dificult and that tends to keep numbers down.

9. Guy

Guy Member

We shoot at Stockton generally the first Sunday of the month. If there is enough interest, I'll do the same at Coon Creek.....like maybe the third Sunday of the month. There is a new ring at Martinez now.....they will shoot the second Saturday of the month starting February.

We shot last Sunday in the rain at Stockton....but we have pop-ups, a covered area to hang out, and a burn barrel to stay warm. What more can you ask for?

For clubs with only one ring, 18-20 players is max.....otherwise it's a all day affair. Stockton usually has 13-18, we start at 10am, and we're done by 2pm usually.....and if some guys want to shoot another 15 or 30, we just have at it.

A club needs to have a core group of 8-10 players that will play every month, to make it worthwhile.....we're hoping that 3-4 of those new players will go to the other clubs for their shoots too. So your core group of 8 plus 3 or 4 guys from other clubs means 15 -18 players. Just right. Now look at the program and figure the money with 15 playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.