1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ZZ Trap Shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Anyone hear of this or participate in it?

Electrocibles or helice shooting

Originated in Belgium during 1960s, helice shooting is similar to trap shooting, but the clays are equipped with an helice that will give the clay an erratic and unpredictable flight. The helice is composed of two winged plastic propellers with a white clay in the center.

Plastic propellers holding a detachable center piece are rotated at high speed and released randomly from one of five traps. They fly out with in an unpredictable way; so-said buzzing through the air. It is designed specifically to simulate as closely as possible the old sport of live pigeon shooting. Its original name of ZZ comes from the inventor who made them out of zinc, and had previously shot a specific breed of pigeon called a zurito; hence the term the zinc zurito. It is great fun to shoot, but can also be a very competitive sport with World and European Championships being held on the continent every year.

2. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Ive shot them before. If the whinners on here want a tough game i suggest they shoot these. Alot of fun.
    Chris

3. Kingranch

Kingranch TS Member

Does anyone know where/if they shoot these in my area? I live in NE Oklahoma. I looked up the United States Helice Assoc website and found that a Shooter from KS is on the National team that won the 2011 Mens World Helice Championship in Spain earlier this year. He apparently lives in east/central KS. So where does he shoot them at?

KingRanch

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I've shot it quite a bit. It's PETA approved flyer shooting, though not
    as expensive - still a lot more expensive than trap. Some people love it. Me, I'd rather shoot trap or sporting clays.

5. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Kingranch,

That shooter is Rick Mein and you'd need a good vehicle and frequent flyer program to keep up the him. There's a reason he's do good at helice but that's for a another discussion. His son Derrick is also very accomplished; one of the most natural shooters I've ever seen. Don't lay your money down against these guys, they'll take it every time.

The closest to you for helice is Dallas Gun Club where they usually hold a couple of registered shoots a year. I've driven down from Tulsa once and it was worth every dollar.

6. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

I have shot them in Reno and Lincoln, Ca. Fun as hell, expensive too. Search for WGH as a sign on name, he posts on the results from time to time.

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

ZZ birds (helice) is actively shot in Northern California at three clubs - Stockton, Martinez and Coon Creek as well as at some private facilities.

Guy Hungerford (sign on name WGH) does a SUPER job facilitating these events to keep up the interest in the sport.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

In Europe, typically winning Helice scores are lower than box birds out of the flop down traps.( Jaula Europa)

9. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Loads of fun, but can turn into a long day with too many shooters..

10. Guy

Guy Member

You can get a look at the game if you Google "helice". Go to the USHA site.

We are pretty lucky around here.....there are three rings open to the public at various times.....and there are three private setups too.

We shoot usually the first Sunday of the month at Stockton. The ring at Martinez is closed for a few months, but will reopen before spring I think.

We have a pretty strong core of players in No. Ca. But the game has it's issues.....first, it's TOUGH. Many a trapshooter has come to play, only to never be seen again. And if there is only one ring, and more than 25 players, it will take awhile....but done by 4pm. The day of ZZ's is a slower moving deal, you'll only shoot 3 boxes of shells all day (usually ends by 2-3pm), and you'll shoot 5 then go to the back of the line, but the issue most have problems with is the money. They say it's too expensive. I say it's not even close.....I'll tell you why....

Figure out what a day of registered trap costs you.....$80 for targets, $80 for shells (350 shells - 100 x 3 events + 50 practice), $10 for practice targets, $5 for lunch....so $175, and you haven't played a Lewis yet.....and your chances of winning anything is what?

Here's what we do at our ZZ shoots.....$60 for targets (30 bird race), most will shoot 5 practice ($10), $90 to the purse (not compulsory)......so, $160....lunch, drinks, and plenty of other food included.....the purse money is divided like this: $30 to the front 15 (split 60/40 ties divide)....$30 to the back 15 (same split)....and $30 to HOA.....but if you win HOA, you cannot win the front or the back......so essentially we pay down 3-4 scores. Normally, with 20 players for example, 10 get paid.....and it's not unusual for a second place score on either the front or back to pay for your day. Work the numbers.

All that is well and good.....but the real reason ZZ's is going good here is that there is a core of players that actually likes hanging around each other.....and the bs is always flyin'.......unlike trap, there are guys talking and yukin' it up while you shoot.....and you'll hear from them......you draw a screamer, and hammer it, the boys will be whooping it up. So, thin skin....stay home.

One more thing.....if your club has the space, and someone willing to ram-rod the deal every month, and at least 10 guys willing to play at least one day a month.....then they should consider putting in a ring.....it is a good money maker for the club. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. The ring at Stockton was bank-rolled by a member.....and when he got his money back, the club owns the whole deal.

Guy Hungerford

11. Guy

Guy Member

One more thing.....Team USA and Mr. Rick Mein won the world championships in Italy this year.....Rick stoned 30 straight to win high individual champion too. The clubs in Italy are not like our clubs....theirs should be called resorts.....groomed sod, very fancy clubhouses with restaurants. And they play the game differently too.....shooters go to the club 4 or 5 times a week....and only shoot 4 or 5 or 10 targets each time. BUT....they gamble on every target.....it's a social thing.....so they look at us and our 30 target races as nuts. I believe Ricks 30 was shot over 3 days! That sucks, huh?

12. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AKK7KOKKcaE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AKK7KOKKcaE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

13. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

The only thing wrong with that video was the guy keeping score at the end......... talk about a fox in the hen house. :) l.g.

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Guy- What is the initial setup cost, and what is the minimum amt of land required?

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Boy that looks like fun.

Penalty points for shooting the machines? Some of the birds look like they go pretty low.

16. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Just doing some quick digging, it looks like to setup the traps, targets, ring, ect, $20k would probably be just enough to get you started. And that would be for one ring, not the 3 that had been mentioned before.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

They had it set up at the Ohio State Sporting Shoot. $10 for 5 birds. Derrek Mein was the was running the course at Cardinal at that time, so I'm sure he and his dad arranged for the equipment to be there.

Requires good reflexes and quick moves.

18. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

what's a typical Helice gun set up as? Just like a Bunker/Live Pigeon spec'd gun?

19. ledbet

ledbet Member

If anyone in Central or Western Virginia wants to give it a try, let me know. We have a ring set up at our club.

Bill

20. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

United States Helice Association

http://ushelice.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
american zz bird machine for sale
electrocibles or helice shooting
helice traps for sale
helice zz europa