1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ZZ Bird

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grindem, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grindem

grindem Member

Anybody shoot ZZ bird?
    How big is ring?
    How many targets per round?
    How much $ per round?

Any info helpful

grindem

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AKK7KOKKcaE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

$1 more a bird is not unusual. Seen it at over $2.

Try this link...

http://www.ushelice.com/

3. Guy

Guy Member

At most rings a 30 target race is $60.....plus a purse if you want to play. I can tell you that many, many trapshooters have tried this game once.....and not come back. It's tough! But if you want the closest game to live birds, this is it. There aren't alot of rings open to the public.....that's the biggest problem.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Is there any club in the northeast that throws ZZ birds? I'd love to try it.

5. deankol

deankol Member

Perfect game for those like me with ADD.
    Shoot five a sit down for a while.

6. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I'd like to try it also. Any of these around kansas or Missouri ??

7. Guy

Guy Member

We shoot the first Sunday of every month at the Stockton, CA. Gun Club.....next shoot 1/6/13.

Don't know of any rings in the areas you want. Dallas Gun Club has a ring.
    We had a club member pay to put in the entire set-up...about $20K.....when he got his money back, the club became the owner. I think it took 3 years, maybe less.

8. deankol

deankol Member

Hey Guy

What about Martinez Gun Club?

Dean

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I've shot a fair amount of ZZ birds. Unless you reuse the unbroken targets, it's very expensive. Not much shooting for the money, and you have to shoot the
    target quickly while it's still spinning fast.

I'd much rather shoot trap or sporting clays.

10. drgondog

drgondog Member

The ZZ Bird/Helice ring(s) are set on our no longer used live bird pad. It is 15meters from outside pad in a radius and extends 15m beyond each of the pads and around on a radius from the last pad/box - then both fences come back to about the 25meter line. Think of it as a Triangle with rounded edges and top.

WGH - I am not aware of the donation. I was on the Board when we bought the two 'original' systems from Houston about 1986'ish timeframe. I think Cyril Adams helped us.

I was away from Dallas from 2002 to 2010 so something else may have happened. IIRC Mike Harris runs the Helice program.

Candidly I wonder why the Club wouldn't buy the Helice set up outright if we had to replace the old ones. The rings and pads and fence were already there and the Bunker cost us around $100K with zero issues in buying the stuff out right - ditto all the new Sporting Clays/Five Stands.

I think practice birds are $1.50.

11. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

str 7s

12. deankol

deankol Member

Guy wasn't referring to DGC as having the set up donated. He was speaking of Stockton Gun Club.
    The generous donator was the late Curt Paul, a true gentleman and all around great guy.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dicktax: ZZs are cheap when compared with flyers, and that's what the game is for.

14. drgondog

drgondog Member

deankol - you're right, I missed the change of reference.

15. Guy

Guy Member

There always seems to be the conversation of how expensive the game is.....well, I've shot a fair amount of trap, and here's what I think....

First, calculate how much your day of trap costs.....let's say $30/event + $5/box shells + $5 lunch + two rounds of practice @ $5 = $175.....with NO purses played.

Next, consider how much you will win....really?

ZZ's around here are $60/ event (that's $2/target), plus a non-compulsory purse of $90, for a total of $150.....that purse money is split $30 to the front 15 (split 60/40), $30 to the back 15, and $30 to HOA. If you win HOA, you cannot win anything on the front or back.

Last Sunday we had 13 purse players out of 16 total.....figure it out....HOA won $390.....first place on the front/back paid $230, and second place paid $160. Ties divide. So at least 5 guys out of 13 got paid pretty good.....and even if a score tied and split, it still makes a nice payback in your daily fun expense....

It's all about what you pay for your day's entertainment.....yes, the day goes slower, yes, you don't get to shoot as many shells. But there is more time to bullshit and laugh......and with our crowd, you better not have a thin skin, and you better not have to have it completely quiet.....because you'll get some conversation when you toe the line.....but you'll hear them whoopin' when you bust a tough one. And even though we shoot for money, heads up, everyone wants others to do well.....it's a special crowd.....I'm surprised they let me hang around.

One more thing....if you need to know....targets cost $.75 if the white witness caps are used 10 times (and they are).....so go figure how much the club makes with 15 players.....subtract $75 for food, and $75 for trap help, and not counting any practice targets, you'll see it makes a nice payday for the club too.

16. deankol

deankol Member

Guy is right. The shooters he and I shoot with are super cool and competitors.
    Its cool if you want to pull the trigger more by shooting other games. I wish I had the time to shoot them all, but I don't. I put my time and cash towards ZZ because that is what I prefer. Give it try, if you can. You will not be disappointed, except, possibly, with your score. It isn't easy.

17. drgondog

drgondog Member

This was the lure of pigeon shooting. Helice today is nearly as difficult, nearly the cost of 1975 flyers and the sky is the limit on options.

18. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

In Europe, with flop down flyer boxes, winning Flyer scores much higher than winning Helice (ZZ) scores. Not an easy game! Like flyers, you can get a rush by making a great shot, as opposed to just feeling stupid when you miss one at Skeet or Trap.

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Club here use to shoot them, said they can't buy targets anymore? Anyone know where you can buy the targets?

20. Guy

Guy Member

Theodore Wells in Tx sells the Mexican mfg target, and Joe Panetta in Ca sells the Italian target.....either one is OK....it's all about the shipping costs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best ammo to use for zz birds
zz bird event
zz bird for rent
zz bird trap shooting

zz birds

zz birds shooting for money
zzbird
zzdtibrddd