1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

zumbo moment

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Beni, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beni

Beni Member

sorry guys guess I missed it what happened with Jim Zumbo anyways, Beni

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Ask Trappy - he had his own "Zumbo moment" here a couple years back, for those who remember.

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Jim Zumbo, a genuinely nice guy, made a comment after a prairie dog hunting trip where many versions of ARs were in use that "he didn't see any use for those black rifles"....the backlash was so fast and severe that he was let go from Outdoor Life, lost his TV series for a while and was even brought on Nugent's "Spirit of the Wild" where Uncle Ted had a "come to Jesus" moment with him and talked to him about the nice uses of ARs and even had him shoot a few. He acted chagrinned, seemed kind of confused but allowed as how there was a sporting use for them after all.

I'm glad he has his TV show back.

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

the man is as anti-gun as nancy, chuck, biden and obama. Here is what he wrote in his blog a few years ago. Judge for yourself. Sportsmen, shooters, collectors, and hunters should stay clear of him. He hates guns.

On February 16, 2007, Zumbo published an entry on his blog which read, in part:

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms. I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers." Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms." This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.[2]

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

For a guy who "hates guns" he sure shoots some nice ones on his show. What you posted was what he said. Amost three years ago. I believe he's paid the price. He's back on and will never have the following he once had. At least he still hunts, shoots and promotes it.

Lets concentrate on those who actively oppose us..the others you name along with 99% of the liberals, PETAs, and dumb*sses like Rush who support the Humane society of america...did you crank on him after his support for those?

6. Beni

Beni Member

Too bad for Zumbo always read his articals and watched his shows. We had an old guy very prominent in our local sportsmans world i.e. Federation of cons. clubs old pioneer club,scope, and the NRA and my club, his downfall was he worked for our local large city newspaper and was used to clouding the truth sometimes. His downfall for us was he tried to eliminate all high powered autoloading rifles,ARS AK SKS. his explanation was people would view those guns ( not weapons) as machine guns and use it to shut us down. His philosophy got shut down,he's since passed away and our membership has increased by 45% since then without incidence. I think any gun shot safely is okay by me Beni

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

When did Zumbo pass away?

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Good riddance. Here's a guy who has become a privileged member of shooting society, treated like royalty, showered with free firearms, products and hunting trips and paid to promote products. He had a following, like Hollywood royalty.

Then he crapped on us mere commoner gunowners (the little people) and the Second Amendment with his idiotic statements, providing fodder for the anti-gunners, some of whom thanked him for his views and welcomed him into their ranks.

This twit did a lot of damage because he was miffed about prairie dog hunters in the next field spoiling his privileged coyote hunt.

Poetic justice struck back when he instantly lost his Remington spokesman contract, over the irony that Cerberus had just bought Bushmaster and was going to be releasing an AR15 under the Remington brand name (the R15). Not a wise decision to be denigrating the very gun the company you represent is going to sell.

Further, other sponsors were running for cover, over threatened boycotts of their products if they continued to support Zumbo.

Some magazine editors came out in his defense, especially one vocal one, only to suddenly have a lot of past anti-gun Fudd statements and articles suddenly became widely posted on numerous firearms and hunting websites.

But, Zumbo has supposedly "seen the light" and has come to accept these guns. Many feel he is too arrogant to have actually done this, but rather is just attempting damage control so he can once again enjoy his sponsored hunts and free guns and products. Given his previous statements and attitude, not a whole lot of people believe this turnaround is genuine, but is merely self-serving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.