1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Zoli Z Sport.....thoughts appreciated!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DUCKDIGGLER, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DUCKDIGGLER

DUCKDIGGLER TS Member

Howdy guys! New member here.

I am looking at a new Sporting gun and think I have it narrowed down to the Zoli Z-Gun.....possibly the Bilanx version 32" 12ga.

It seems through my research that this gun has a tremendously strong action, frame and internals are hardened, barrels are know for great regulation, trigger is drop out and mechanical (will probably small gauge tube the gun)and reportedly very crisp. I have been told to get these fetures in a similar gun I have to look towards they K-80, K-Gun and P-Gun at roughly double the price. The only downside I have come across so far is resale is sad.

My question to all who care to answer is:

Should I buy this gun or why shouldn't I??

All thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated!

Thank you! DD

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I would. Zoli makes quality guns.

3. HOJO

HOJO Member

My son shoot a Z Extra and they are a very nice gun. Resale at this time is not as good as some of the big names but will improve as they are a great value. There are also some big names shooting them now and that will help. As they win with them more people will look at them and see a great gun for the money. Bradd Kidd & Ashley Hafley National Champions with Z Guns

4. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I have a Kronos Sport & love it. I'd really like the looks of the Bilanx. It would be a great "one gun for everything".

i_shoot

5. saintlawrence

saintlawrence Member

I have one of the first Zoli's that came into the country. Through the use of different stocks I shoot it for ATA Trap, Int. Trap and Sporting Clays - although much more for trap. The gun is 32" and I have the Barrel Balancer weights installed. Some general observations from about 5,000 rds through the gun of factory ammo and reloads:

Incredible value for the price.

Warranty work done by Rich Cole who is as good as there is. I've had no issues with my gun.

I use the flush mounted Zoli choke tubes and find them to pattern as consistently as Beretta Optima's, Comp N Choke, etc. Barrel regulation is equal to my MX-8's and one heck of a lot better than my Beretta O/U's.

Triggers are good - not as crisp as a leaf spring Perazzi but good.

Stock design is excellent - I use their beavertail forend which is smaller than most but larger than their sporting clays forend which I find just a bit too small (for my hands). I have an International, Sporting Clays and Adjustable Comb trap stock that interchange as easily as a Perazzi with excellent wood quality and finish. Their recoil pads are thin and I replaced all mine with Gooey's.

The gun is lighter by about 4 - 8 oz. than a comparably barreled Perazzi trap gun depending on the P guns barrel(Zoli doesn't give you a choice of barrel weight)but I've never experienced a recoil issue even with HDCP loads and I am somewhat recoil sensitive.

Because the gun was so similar in build to my MX-8's and I thought I could balance it to a similar 'feel', I initially decided I would use the gun as my 'mudder' for weather I didn't want to subject my Perazzi's to. Now I find the P guns stay in the case more and more while I use the Zoli.

6. DUCKDIGGLER

DUCKDIGGLER TS Member

Great feedback guys! Please keep it coming.

Does anyone have anything negative to add? I want to hear it if its out there.

I shoot 15 cases a year right now but hope to at least double that and would like a gun that will last a lifetime.

Is this worth my $5K??

Thank you Gentlemen. DD

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Zoli are good guns. I have not heard any negative about them.

8. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

My grandson shot about 2k rounds through one from JTH Agency this Spring and early summer, and really likes it. It is trimmer and a little quicker that its predecessor LX980. The gun is at Ken Rucker's now getting BumpBuster; grandson would NOT turn loose of it for work until after State 4-H shoot in San Antonio in July. The only negative I have seen would be I don't care for factory choke tube MARKING system; tubes themselves are fine.

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

it's a great gun....I bought a Z gun in the fall of 08....the forearm was a real pain in the a$$ to get off though. But the wood and fit/finish was really nice. Only reason why I sold it was that I handled a K80 a few months later and preferred the heavier weight and the rib of the K80 more than the Zoli. The resale sucks so if you buy new, be prepared to take a hit big time if you decide to sell it after a few cases of shells through it.

10. DUCKDIGGLER

DUCKDIGGLER TS Member

I appreciate it Gents.

Anyone form the weekend crowd have any further thoughts?

Thanks!

DD

11. Bill Buffalo

Bill Buffalo Member

I just sent mine back to Cole for the third time because the triggers were horrible and I had them worked on several times. It would feel like you were pulling 5 lbs one time and 2 lbs the next. Never have been able to shoot the gun very well because of the triggers.

12. DUCKDIGGLER

DUCKDIGGLER TS Member

Bill...thank you for your candor.

Is it a Z-Sport or Kronos?

Inertia or mechanical triggers?

Thank you!

DD

13. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

All the new guns will have mechanical triggers. I have 1 Z sport, 1 Z extra, 1 Kronas for sale here in our shop.

Web site above - click on GUN ROOM

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 692 vs zoli

beretta 692 vs zoli kronos

zoli kronos

zoli kronos review

zoli vs beretta

zoli vs perazzi
zoli z sport vs beretta 692