1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

zink and shotmaking problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by plinker611, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plinker611

plinker611 Member

ATTN SHOTMAKERS;thanks to the tree huggers,as of 3 years ago,all new car mfgs.no longer use lead wheel weights.the replacement for lead is a steel or zink,or some zink/lead mix weights.independent tire stores & service shops still use lead,due to the higher costs of the new weights $7-8/100 more.

the zink or steel weights wont melt at normal casting temps(zink needs over 900 degrees to melt lead around 600)so they will float to the top to skim off. the lead -zink mix will melt at the lower temp,causing all kinds of problems when they are put into your shotmaker.be on the look out for the weights marked MC-ZN as a small amount of them in your mix will cause problems at the drippers,common problems are slowdowns,or stoppage,temporarly cleared by tapping,(and i hate to tap every 30-60 seconds),and eventually plugged drippers,witch can be a pain to clear,mark jones.

2. plinker611

plinker611 Member

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Do you have the tool for clearing the drippers? I save the zincs to do sinker molds. I haven't tried them yet but believe it will work. Jackie B.

4. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

The best thing to do is have a hand held propane torch and heat the slow dripper..it will free right up..

5. plinker611

plinker611 Member

blk cloud,i do run my blazer on occasion,but have found if you get rid of the zink mixd weights(MC-ZN) you wont have the problem.ive seen it stop every dripper,when you get good lead back into it and run out the contaminated lead it runs smooth,mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.