1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

zinc wheel weights

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you guys making shot what do you do with the zinc ones I would like to have a bunch to cast some rifle and pistol bullets. I want to see how fast I can drive them before they lead the barrel. If you have some that you want to part with email me thanks rick

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They will zinc the barrel, not lead the barrel, right? HMB

3. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

You can cast zinc bullets just fine, make sure not to have any lead in the mix as the two have a funny reaction to each other, it shows up in the form os a frothy foam and has a bad affect on the bullets, they do not look good after casting.

Zinc bullets will be a hard light bullet, I dont think I would want to hunt with them but they should poke a hole in paper just fine.

check back and let us know the results, I do have a few but probably not enough to do much with.

Rick

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

well i know all you shot makers have some that you have sorted out dont you want to get rid of them? rick

5. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Whenever we find them, they get pulled and put in the clip bucket...Josh

6. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

you looking for a pound or so, or a lot of pounds? I have a pound or so laying around.

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Zinc wheel weights are about half again larger than lead ones so Hivoltfl is correct you will have a very light bullet compared to a lead one. Good luck and watch for what was mentioned about mixing the two. Lead and Zinc. Be aware that melting zinc will release Cadmium into the air also. I have seen it written that as little as 1 in 10,000 of zinc will mess up your pours of lead. Just stop a local tire shop and ask them for some used zinc wheel weights,many cars already use them exclusively. Bill

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

i dont want anyone to send a lb or 2 but if you are discarding them would be interested thanks rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.