1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

zinc wheel weight casting with?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadman, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadman

leadman TS Member

I know that no one would try and make shot ingots from the zinc alloy wheel weights. Has anyone tried casting other things with them? Anybody have any input on a use for them, or any knowledge of a scrap value for them?

If any casting was done with them, it would have to be done with a dedicated pot and ladle. One that have not, (and will not) be used for lead casting.

Thanks for any input

John

2. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I make shot, is zinc commonly found in wheel weights? What temp does it melt at? How do you tell the differance? I 've found many stell WW and they are easy to seperate,how do you seperate zinc?

3. leadman

leadman TS Member

Just like you identify and seperate out the steel weights, you have to do with the zinc weights.

Many are marked with a zn, but there is a generic type that is unmarked. Size is also a clue. They are bigger for their weight, (htough not as much so as steel). The only full solution is to become intimately familiar with them. hope that helps

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

try this link

by far the most info on smelting lead for shooting needs.

Zinc melts @ over 780'F
    pure lead around 625'F
    lead with tin and antimony(wheel weights a little lower) The more tin the lower the melting point.
    I have a Lyman casting thermometer - I try to keep my smelting pot temp around 680-700'F Zinc and steel float to the top.

I melted down the 20lbs of known zinc wheel weights(marked with Zn on the WW) I was planning on makeing some sinkers for fishing. My friend told me only use molds that have provisions for the wire loop to hook onto. The molded eye loops tend to break easy with pure zinc ??? also he says the mold temp must remain high or you get poor mold fill out.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

dont get zinc in a shotmaker you will spend many hours cleaning.
    it makes good cast bullets but you need to add some lead to get a good fill out One other thing you cant use aluminum molds as temp need to be high and the sprut plate will gaul sinkers are good you may get a" ATTA BOY" from Gore
    oh if you dont know and what to check 'safely' cut a small nick on the ones you want to check put in a plastic bowl and pour a bottle of COKE on them. the next morning the zinc ones will be foaming. Toilet bowl cleaner is faster but cant get your hands in it

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I bought a set of sinker molds and have a spare crucible for melting lead (zinc). Big one for lead is a 200 pounder, small one for zinc is 50 pounds.

As I cull the weights for shot making the truck weights, etc. go to the sinker pot.

I agree that the zinc is more brittle than lead but I find that 'truck weights'/stick on weights added to the mix keep this from happening...

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

HSLDS, where did you get your molds, Im looking for some more. I have a 2oz mold and a mold for down rigger rig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
casting zinc sinkers
lead zinc wheel weights bullet casting
melting zinc for sinkers

melting zinc wheel weights

signs of zinc in wheel weights
understanding wheel weights lead and zinc
what will zinc or aluminum in wheelweights do to bullet molds
zinc wheel weights mixed in for lead shot