1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Z 71 Suburban help????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by over the hill, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

A local Honda dealer has an 04 Z71 Suburban on the lot.

Now is probably not the time to buy G.M. , or maybe it is, but its a beauty.

I see a lot of them at shoots and figure you guys and gals probably can give me some feedback. Mileage, durability???

The salesman was so knowledgeable that he didnt know if it is a 5.3 or 6.0.

So, any comments or other? let er rip...

Thanks. Gerald

2. RAScott

RAScott Member

Gerald The 6.0 will not be that good on fuel. I had one in my 2500 hd. Granted the gearing is different 5.3 -5.7 both good engines. I have had allot of suburban's and 1 Denali XL . Denali had the 6.0, fast, real fast, and handeled great. Milage wasn't that great.X wife took it in the divorce and the (PAYMENT BOOK TOO).HAHA! had allot of power if you are not pulling anything than the smaller engines will do.I had it to pull a 4 place snowmobile trailer. test drive. look on the fan shroud for the engine size or get the vin.# and call a GM dealer if there are any left and have them run the #.
    Bob S

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have Yukon XL which is the same vehicle. I never owned a car I loved more except perhaps my 1995 Tahoe. These are great vehicles for hunters, shooters, fishermen etc..

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a 6 litre in my Escalade and get overall 15.5 and 17+ on the highway. I think the 6 litre is great. They are very durable in any of the GM designs. Mine is the truck version. I have 40 thou on the orig tires and they are good fo ranother 20 at least.

5. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i had 02 suburban the good was it got 18mpg and was comfy the bad by 40k needed 400 stuck into steering 60k power steering pump 70k tranny 75 k wobbled going down the road then got rid of which they drop like a rock in value drove 2 yrs babied it no pulling

6. chemist

chemist Member

have a 2002 suburban 5.3 with 165K- change oil every 3-4k- nothing major and it tows my 20 wellcraft easily. with NJ winter gas 12mpg city, with NY state gas up to 18mpg on the hwy with no tow.??? great room. Z71 has heavier suspension so I can't help you there- use carquest(?) info to check the records- worth the $$$ - have mechanic smell the trans fluid for brownish color and burned smell- mine had a fuel pump go that a NY state GMC dealer charged almost 1000 dollars to diagnose and fix- full brakes about $700 at 95K. Tires get about 45-60 depending on brand- hope this helps- not a great resale value with economy unless you want and need one

7. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Not sure if this will help but miles are money. Been selling cars for over 20 years now and the suburban is an awesome vehicle, ride, room, towing capabilities, and ride. You did not mention how many miles were on the vehicle but I looked up what they are selling for at the auctions around the country and in excellent condition with good miles 40-60,000 about 15000.00 wholesale. With more miles the prices drop to around 13000.00. Remember these are wholesale aution prices that actual dealers paid for these vehicles. Most of those suburbans were made in the great state of Wisconsin by great people so I wouldn't be affraid to buy one. Besides with the push to build smaller vehicles there will always be a demand for a people hauler that can tow with the versatility of a suburban. Good enough for saturday night going out to dinner with friends and sunday huntin, fishin, shootin all in one!

8. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear OVER THE HILL,
    Eighth number in VIN code is the engine ID.
    T is a 5.3 gas, Z is a 5.3 Flex Fuel, U is a 6.0 gas engine (for 2500 series)
    I own a 2003 5.3 (Z)engine. Tows 6000 lbs almost anywhere with the Z71 rear axle ratio of 3.73. BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY, after 50K miles all kinds of expensive parts begin to fail. Starting with fuel pump, front wheel bearing units and starters. Even the digital dash has mountains of problems. Stay away from the all wheel drive versions (VERY EXPENSIVE REPAIRS)In spite of this, it's one of the most comfortable long distance vehicles I have driven and rode in. 15 mph in city driving/19 on the highway with 87 octane gasoline.
    Sincerely,
    Jet Boat Bill

9. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

YES, Definetly buy an extended warranty with any used vehicle! We see more repairs in our shop that are becoming normal everyday stuff, like wheel bearings and alternators etc that a good extended warranty would cover.

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Wow. What a great response. Thanks to all.

Thanks to Texshooter for the link.

Regards and good shooting....Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.