1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ysr_racer's Alaska pictures !!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ysr_racer, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

We had a great time.

http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2008.htm

[​IMG]

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

Believe it or not but in 1967 you could touch Portage Glacier from the paking lot of today. Nice pictures.

Jim

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

thanks for posting great pictures

4. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Thanks for sharing racer!

The wife and I have been kicking around several ideas for a US destination getaway to include some shooting. Add fishing to the plan, and Alaska just got added to the list.

Thanks again.

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

No, Thank you for the business!

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Thank you.

GOOD LUCK

7. Trapdog1

Trapdog1 TS Member

This does it. I am there - next year!

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Man!! What beautiful country!! Hap

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Here are my tips for seeing Alaska on a budget.

Travel:

So far I’ve gotten eight free tickets on Alaska Airlines by using Air Miles from their Alaska Visa card. When you get a Black Signature Visa, you instantly get 20,000 Air Miles (which is enough for a free ticket) plus you get a $50 Companion Ticket.

If you’re going to use the $50 Companion Ticket, buy your ticket in October. Currently, if you bought tickets for next year, airfare from So Cal to Anchorage is $850, in October it will be $450.

Rental Car:

I also use Alaska Airlines to reserve my rental car. Same thing, right now they’re about $30 a day, next year they’ll be close to $100 a day. Plus I always reserve a sub compact car. When I get there, they always upgrade me to an SUV for an extra $5 a day.

Accommodations:

I stay in Wasilla, an hour north of Anchorage, I stay at the Kozey Cabins. It's $800 a week for a cabin that has 3 queen beds. You do the math.

In Soldotna, on the Kenai Peninsula, I stay at the Spurrview House (It's a spectacular place) $175 -$250 a night.

Fishing:

On the Little Su I use Rainbow River Expeditions: $130 a day per person (1 guide and a boat).

On the Deshka River I use I Fish Alaska: $130 a day per person (1 guide and a boat).

In Soldotna I fly-out fish with High Adventure Air to the west side of Cook Inlet. $325 per person. (1 pilot / floatplane, 1 guide and a boat

Fish Processing:

In Wasilla I use Smoked Alaska, in Soldotna I use Ed's Kasilof Seafoods, both will treat you right.

So you see it’s really not that expensive to go to one of the most beautiful places in America.

Actually, from So Cal where I live, a trip to Alaska costs me about the same as going to the East coast.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

P.S. there’s plenty of time to do other things if you don’t want to fish every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.