1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

YOUTH TRAP GUN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shilo, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shilo

Shilo TS Member

OK TRAP PAL,S NEED SOME HELP HERE IT IS TIME FOR MY GRAND SON TO TAKE UP SHOOTING HAS BEEN AT IT FOR THIS SUMMER NOW WANTS TO GET HIS OWN TRAP GUN SO WHAT DO I DO AND GET WHAT IS THE BIG ?he is 11 now but time to get something he likes and i can aford thank you ,,,,grandpa

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The (default) answer is a BT-99 Micro, and a great answer it is, too.

For very few $$, I surely do like that H&R Trap gun for a kid or small adult. Well made, goooood shooter, ultra reliable and, with a visible hammer, very safe.

There are also on here F/S a Franchi single trap and an Ithaca Century.

You have a lot of choices, incl many Ladies & Kids automatics.

The 'right' answer, of course, is to let him try several.

Bob

3. Damifino

Damifino Member

Grandpa,

I hope you and your grandson enjoy this sport as much as me and my family do. This sport is the best thing you can get any kid into. Unlike the video games that seem to capture kid's minds today, there is no reset button in trap. If he is having a bad round on the first house of a 200 target event he has to stay on the line and be a good sport for the rest of the day. The grace and courage to do that seems rare now, it's a skill he'll need and use throughout life. (Can you tell I am a fan of youth participation in ATA?)

We started our son with a Beretta AL391 20GA at about the same age. He quickly outgrew it to a 12GA. If your grandson in big enough to tolerate the recoil for 100-200 rounds with a 12, I'd start with that. If he isn't; you can pick up a used 20GA youth gun and trade it (without losing anything if he takes care of it) in a year or so when he is ready. The 391 is great shooting, reliable and very soft on recoil.

My kid has gone from a 391 20GA to a 391 12GA to a SKB O/U; now we are looking for a higher end combo.

Have fun, life doesn't get any better than watching him reach milestones and grow in the sport.

Tom Boyer (Emanuel's dad)

4. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

Check Shyda's Browning specials on this site, they are very good. BT-99 is hard to beat and the price is right. The micro is nice for a youngin, but if he can shoot the reg model he will have a gun for a lifetime. Good luck. There is no bad choice if you teach them right and the gun fits. I hope he does well. God Bless, Al Baker

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Beretta 3901 RL (12" LOP), 26" or 28" barrel, mobile choke. Comes with two 1/2" spacers to lengthen LOP. $925.00
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

6. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Went through this with my son. I bought a BT 99 with two barrels, 32". I had one cut off to 29 5/8 and Briley chokes. The BT 99 is lighter than BT 99 Micro Plus with 30 inch barrel. My son had both. Unless your 11 yo is pretty strong, the Micro can be a little heavy. It is a great gun. The BT 99 that has two barrels is a great gun for several years, just go to the longer barrel when he gets stronger.

Charlie

7. Shilo

Shilo TS Member

thanks fellows yes trap shooting is a great time a lot of fun but what is really nice is all the fine people you shoot with and many are great friends and again thanks for all the help now i still wonder WHAT DO I DO ,,,thanks

8. Damifino

Damifino Member

OR... you could just go ahead and get him that K-80 Trap Combo now.<br>
    Have fun with him.

9. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Get the Micro bt 99, shoot the shit out of it and still only cost you 2 or $300.

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

mike in florida is right on!! if you havent shot/ seen a 3901 target-you shud !! there is a gun that is lite weight- a 12 ga w/ recoil like a 20 ga!! , will shoot and eject lite loads, an adj. comb and adj. lop. -- you can hunt with it or shoot skeet( more than 1 shell)-- i've had 2 for kids and woman- they love em! wally riebesell

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Started #1 son with a Model 32 Krieghoff at 10 1/2. 2 1/2 weeks later he broke his first 25 and not much later his first 50. Added an Unsingle barrel and off to the ATA All-American team he went. Plenty of versatility in that gun!!

12. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

1. something that fits, and doesn't kick
    2. use light loads
    3. good economy might be a Remington 870 TB or TC in good condition. I have one with a 28" barrel for youth shooters & it smacks targets very well, even out pretty far. you may find one for under $400 or less.
    4. the BT 99 is a good option too, but a pricier

as he grows, a lot of his characteristics will change, so get something he likes to shoot now, and save the (adjustable gun) investment for later.

good luck !

js in PA

13. mono1393

mono1393 Member

I second Mike Batista and Wally Riebesell. The 3901 Youth is a great gun for starting youth. Low recoil is a must. Adjustability very important too. It comes with a 4 way adj. comb and as said previously, adj. LOP. Give him Low recoil 1 oz. loads and he will smoke em with it. I am starting my 9 year old with one. My 7 year old likes to shoot it too! They have a blast breaking targets. After the first one grows out of it, I will hand it down to the second son. It all gets great watching them bust clays. Have fun.

I sold my K80(for financil reasons) and shoot a 391 Parallel Target now. My shooting has improved because I can keep my head down on the stock and the recoil doesn't mess with my head. You won't believe how much recoil those break opens have after you shoot a great autoloader for awhile.

Chris Morris

14. bill2

bill2 Member

My two eleven year old small frame grandsons that shoot with me are now using 1100 Remingtons 12 GA. They love the light recoil. They will use the field grades for hunting as well as trap. They use my 12GA reloads. Less than 1000.00 for two guns. 1100s are a little pain on the line with the shell catcher and release button. After those little skirts in high school start trolling ( no offense intended, I have a Beautiful Grand Daughter)boys tend to move from shooting for awhile. If they come back they are ready for the high dollar guns. My .02 worth. Bill2

15. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

AAAaaaaa, perfume and gasoline. These two liquids will draw a young man away from shooting everytime.....

16. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

here is the 3901 target RL - comes with 2 black spacers to go between the stock and pad
    [​IMG]
    get a bolt closer from ballistic specialties- button is a lil stiff for kids!! happy shooting!

17. MAX & TOBY

MAX & TOBY Member

Beretta 391 is an excellent choice that is moderately priced. They are reliable with little recoil but require regular cleaning which is also important to teach a young beginning shooter. A win - win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best youth trap gun
best youth trap shooting gun
what is the best starting youth trap gun

youth trap gun

youth trap guns

youth trap shooting guns