1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth trap gun

Discussion in 'Youth Trapshooting Section' started by Yohootie, May 10, 2017.

1. cmccoy76

cmccoy76 Active Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

I also have a son shooting one of the SXP Trap guns. He is 13 and on his second season with it. Has probably 6,000 shells through it. It has held up very well. He outgrew the youth stock but I was able to get an adult trap stock from Winchester for $55. He is averaging 88 with the gun right now. But I would like to move him to an SKB century III for next year. I'm just tired of cleaning it.

Sikiguya thanked this.
  2. Scarface

Scarface Member

My son bought a C3 a few years back and it has been a great gun. He had his share of 25 straights with it and it has been flawless. Last year he wanted a double so I bought a TriStar tt15 and swapped with him and now let a few other students shoot the c3. He is averaging 23.9 for the season and has a 99\100 and 75 straight in the past 100. I would highly recommend looking at that gun as well after seeing it in action over the past year.

3. Sikiguya

Sikiguya Member

Kids need to shoot a gun for a round. I've seen guns that one kids love and the other can't shoot it for nothing. With teammates and coaches...there has to be a sample somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

4. bowhunterklk

bowhunterklk Member

Beretta 682 with fixed raised comb... you can cut the stock and install a RAD. Makes for a soft shooter with the correct loads.

5. nag

nag Member

Since Browning stock dimensions seem to agree with your son, let him continue shooting the BT in singles and keep an eye out for a nice O/U like a Citori.
    Seems to me that most gun makers don't alter stock dimensions too much from model to model.
    Case in point is my Remington 1100 feels pretty much like my 870 and 3200. Even the Remington 20 ga guns I have, albeit smaller in size are again, similar.
    You know that if you get rid of the BT for a combo set and he doesn't shoot it well, you'll be kicking yourself in the you know what for selling the BT in the first place! LOL.

6. ozzro

ozzro TS Member

Browning also has the "grow with the gun" program that allows you to buy an adult stock later on

cmccoy76 thanked this.
  7. thisjed

thisjed Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

+1 for Gipson. I got my oldest daughter a youth model Century III from them and have a youth model IS300 on the way for my youngest daughter from them. Price and service are top notch!

8. nag

nag Member

I did not know that.

Brilliant on Brownings part for doing it :)
    I'm glad someone in that company made a good decision to stay in the game because SKB has been dominating the youth entry market with their Century III and IS and now RS 300 model trap guns. Go to any SCTP match and you'll see plenty SKBs on the racks.
    Value guns at affordable prices.

9. Hivelocity

Hivelocity Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

We have 2 girls shooting them and doing quite well and no problems to report. They are shooting the sxp trap 1 is a compact.

10. SEWER DOG

SEWER DOG Member

I set up a browning citori plus [1989- early 1990s model] for a youth trapshooter needing sub 13" lop. removed the recoil reducing unit and added a morgan style pad adjusting plate and a 3/4" kick ezz pad. ended up with 12 1/4" lop. With 30"long barrels and the shortend stock, it fit perfectly. Balanced well and shot about 70/30 at 35 yards with the comb all the way down. Might consider looking for a used citori plus or a bt99 plus that has the same stock set up.