1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Looking into youth trap guns for a friend with 3 kids the oldest of which is a girl perhaps 8 or 9 y/o, the kid's really excited about starting shooting in the spring and daddy plans to start trapshooting also. anyway;

What gun would ya'll suggest for a kid to start with? Browsing the internet here, Beretta 3901 Target RL looks interesting as does the Browning BT-99 Micro............any other suggestions? I thought Remington used to make a "youth" model of their pump 870 and also a "youth" model of their semi-auto 1100 but I can't find any mention of them on their website??

John C. Saubak

2. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Remington moved their "compact" models to a different part of their web site. See the link above.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you shud call me- i started trading beretta auotloaders for the reason you are asking!-- my duaghter started when she was 10 1/2yrs old-- a light weight beretta w/ 28in barrel and a short stock is the way to go-older models are cheaper and always resaleable--welcome to call me---wally riebesell--660-744-4115 cst

4. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Old Cowboy, PLEASE Call acss As he DOES Know he is talking About.!!!!!!!! Joe W.

5. PerazziMX2000

PerazziMX2000 TS Member

I work with small kids and we have went to the Beretta 3901 RL for the fact that they are adjustable(comb) and length of pull(come with 2 spacers). They are light and have very little recoil. You would not have a problem with resale at a later date as more kids will be coming along.

6. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Used 1100 with a shortened stock.

Doc

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

John, I would also suggest looking at that H&R (now Remington) Trap gun. From being involved in 4-H shooting sports programs, I can tell you that fit is everything for kids.

I don't know if Wenigs has a twisted sister youth stock for the H&R (or for any of the small autos, for that matter), but I think that short grip and length is a winner for kids.

Bob

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The 870 youth model has the grip and the length of pull right, but the stock is still to low for a youth. It can be built up with kick-ezz pads. The 21 inch barrel model is great for the kids, for the weight.

Good luck with what ever you buy.

Ajax

9. build4u

build4u Member

I just bought two 391 in youth 20 ga for my 8 and 10 year old for Christmas, I put on mid beads and changed the front bead and having our local stock guy cutting them down for length. I also bought two 3901 RL models. I wish they were a little stronger to handle the 12 ga. now. The 3901 RL is a great set up. RL grip length, comes with 2 half inch spacers to make the 12 inch stock longer as they grow, adjustable comb. a lot of gun and less money than the 20 Ga. and they can shoot it out of the box. I changed them to the Graco Comb hardware and it comes with spacers so you can raise it up for trap and back down for other games. I bought the 3901 RL for later, now because they are discontinued.

10. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

Having a son who stated at 10 and is now 16 I can say for sure that a young shooter should start with a Auto. Brand is up to you but recoil is the biggest problem with the young kids. Start them right with light loads 1oz at the max and enjoy the shooting sport for years with your kids. I like to add what a great sport it has been for us along with the people that have became great friends. Your kids will love you for this.
    Good luck and hope to see you and the kids at a shoot someday.

Mark Jonckheere

11. rrose

rrose TS Member

Browning makes a BPS micro in bother 12 and 20 that fits young shooters with smaller grip and shorter LOP. A BPS pump action is a great gun and is another alternative.
    randy

12. MR870

MR870 Member

If its for a kid I'll give you a deal on a composite stock 12 ga Winchester Super X3.It has the stock shim kit and extra pads for length adjustment.New in the box and I'll ship to lower 48 ffl.$800 firm shipped to ffl.My email is-johnseawright54@yahoo.com if interested.

13. clayman51

clayman51 Member

John,

Bt-99 micro with the Gracoil installed is one of the best options.

http://graco-corp.com/t/gracoil

Dennis

14. T-C Joe

T-C Joe TS Member

I started both my kids with a 391 RL Parallel Comb and within a year I bought them BT's and had Ken Rucker install bump busters on them. It was the best money I ever spent. They can litterally shoot them all day. I think the BT with the Bump Buster has less recoil than the 391. With the adjustable LOP on the Bump Buster the gun can grow with them. I have shot a BT with a Gracoil and it seemed to have a little more recoil than the Bump Buster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
youth trap gun
youth trap guns
best trap gun for kids
trap guns for kids

youth trap gun

youth trap guns

youth trap shooting guns

youth trap shotguns