1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth Trap/Clay Gun Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by druthomas, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. druthomas

druthomas TS Member

Hey Guys, I am looking to get a little advice on a trap/clays gun for my 14 year old son. I used to shoot twice a week at the Temecula Valley gun club in the early 90's and still have my 70's era BT99. My son got me to take to the trap range with a topper 410 his grampa gave him. Well know we both have the bug. I would like to get him a 12 gauge to keep us using the same ammo. He is a shorter stockier kid and I think he can handle it. I think he will also bird and possibly slug hunt with his step-dad. I am thinking about buyng a mossberg 930 auto combo with both the sport and slug barrell. The idea is he would have something reliable, have less recoil and could do anything. I would buy an extra stock and cut it down till he grows a little more. Also what would be the best recoild pad for comfort. He is bananas about clay shooting and I see us shooting 100+ rounds a week. Any imputs would be appreciated.

Andy

2. dzneff

dzneff Member

Recommend a Remington or Beretta auto with Kickeeze pad. Our junior shooters use Berettas in 20 ga. The team won the state championship this year.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

please call me wed am-- i have several beretta auto loaders that wud work for him-- ive set dozens of kids & new shooters up at my range- wally riebesell-660-744-4115 cst

4. druthomas

druthomas TS Member

Just curious why the remington or beretta over the mossberg?

5. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

My 14 year old who is also short and stocky, shots a BT-99 as his primary gun and an 870 as his backup. He has no problem shooting 100 rocks with either of them.

If you're looking for an all around gun that will last a life time, I think it's hard to beat an 870 Wingmaster.

Just my thoughts,

Blueraven

6. druthomas

druthomas TS Member

Yeah was about 15 when I got my bt. I appreciate the digestion. I was thinking an auto would be more versatile.

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a Remington 11-87 with a synthetic stock that has an adjustable comb and a 30 inch trap barrel, a 26 inch remchoke barrel for birds, skeet, sporting clays, and a slug barrel with a cantilever optic sight mount. Whole thing cost me about $1000.00. This is why I would recommend a Remington. FWIW. JM

8. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

I coach youth trapshooters in Ohio. Your son sounds like he will grow over the next few years, and nothing can take the fun out of shooting for a kid like a gun that doesn't fit, or one with more recoil than he needs to be consistently in the gun.

Probably the best youth trap gun I have found is the Beretta 3901. It has several spacers in the stock that can be added or taken out to get the correct LOP. It is low recoil, and has screw in chokes. It has an adjustable comb, so you can set a higher POI for trap. My older son has now passed his to my 13 year old, who is not only shooting trap with it, but has also taken pheasant and used it for deer hunting with the IC choke. They run abour $895 new, nice wood, and you can probably find a used one with a post in the for sale section here on ts.com.

If your son uses it for 3 years until he grows into a full size trap gun (or guns!) I'm betting you will easily find a new youth shoother that will give you within $100 of what you pay for a new one.

Joe Smoke

9. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

I agree go with a remington or beretta. I also coach a buckeye team. You will have no problems with either of these guns. Good shooting. Glenn Allison

10. RMR

RMR Member

Here is my 2 cents worth. I started my daughter in trap at 9 1/2 years old. I got her a 12 g BT99 Micro and had a bump buster put on it. She has been shooting 1 oz loads for the past 2 years ( generally 75-100 shells each time we go to the gun club) with it and consistantly can get a 20/25 and has done as well as a 23/25. My daughter is about 4"8", 75lbs when wet- skiny as a rail- but very athletic and competative

She has outgrown the micro stock so we took that stock off and replaced it with a standard BT99 stock. She now will shoot my XT trap for 1 round( gun still a little heavy) and then go back to the BT99 for 2-3 rounds. Im hoping to transitioner to the XT totaly by the time she is 14 as she wants to shoot bunker competatively ( she currently shoots it with the BT99 and does ok even with just 1 shell).

Might be something to consider for your son- worked for me. At first to gradually transitioner her to the 12 g recoil- I got a browning gauge reducer ( I think it was about 45$)that allowed her to shoot 28g shells through the BT99 and then gradually we went to 12 g shells.

Good luck
    My daughter and I make a sunday afternoon date to the trap range every sunday afternoon- she shoots mostly and I just watch and glout as she outshoots grown men.
    RMR

11. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

I couldn't agree more if all the boy is going to shoot is trap. The XT is great but I'm not going to shoot slugs through mine or carry it in the brush.
    Glenn Allison It's great that you and your daughter get to shoot so much. Enjoy!!

12. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

my 13 yr old son shoots 12 GA (2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 lead) out of a Beretta 391 Urika semi auto with a Reduced Length (RL) parallel stock.

The stock was modified by Country Gentlemen with their custom LOP butte adjuster, kick eze pad and an adjustable monte carlo. The LOP range is 1 1/2 inches from 13" to 14.5, currently set to 13.25.

The recoil of the semi auto with 2 3/4 dram shells is minimal and not an issue. When he was 11ish to 12, the weight was an issue but no longer at 13.

He has many interests (boy scouts, hockey, good grades!) so he shoots with me only about 3 times a month averaging 17-20. When he shot 2 or 3 times a week, his trap scores jumped to 20-23.

The most important thing is that it is fun for him. Though I prefer trap, when he come out with me we shoot wobble, 5 stand and sporting clays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.