1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth shotguns need ideas

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by redtail, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redtail

redtail TS Member

I am looking for some youth shotguns that won't beat the crap out of my kids.
    The 870 in 20 ga kicks to hard.
    Anybody have any ideas

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Used 1100 LT-20 or the new Youth 1187 20ga. They will cycle the 2-1/2 dram 7.8 ounce Mao mart loads from Rem, Fed and Win. That's a 1/4 dram less powder than the lightest 12ga loads that will cycle an unmodified gas auto. Recoil is very low.<br>
    <br>
    Whatever you get, make sure the kid(s) shoulder it before buying. Some guns just don't fit. My daughter found the girth of the Beretta grip was just too big for her.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I tried several guns with my son - settled on a Beretta 390 Youth Extended, 20 gauge.

Has 26" barrel (big plus) and a one inch spacer which can be added or removed at your whim.

It has transitioned into a great filed gun for him as well.

David D
    `

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The little Beretta Trap gun is the way to go. When your young athlete outgrows it, you will have folks waiting in line to take it off your hands. They are incredibly recoil free.

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Things you will want to consider for youth guns:

Size of the grip - both its circumference and the distance to the trigger

Overall weight of the gun - barrel length adds considerable weight forward

Length of the stock

Drop at the comb - smaller faces need higher combs

If some of the youths are female and they are teenagers, the pitch on the stock may need to be increased. It is uncomfortable shooting with the toe of the pad jabbing them in the chest.

How well the gun used by a youth fits him or her (how well the stock dimensions match their size and shape) will have an effect on the recoil they feel and how well they will be able to break targets. That in turn, will have a big effect on their enthusiasm for shooting.

Rollin

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Benelli Montie' 20 guage is an amazingly soft shooting gun that is also fairly light. I don't like Benelli guns as a rule but I like that one. The Remington M1100 LT 20 (used) is also a very gun for a new young shooter and you can find them at reasonable prices. If the shooter can handle a heavier gun then go with a full size gas operated 12 guage with an appropriate stock and use 7/8 Oz loads.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0040-2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> The big thing as Rollin stated is the Factory "Youth Models" grip to trigger length is generally no different than "adult". That being said. A Wenig New American ladies/youth Trap model in standard walnut Semi inletted is a great choice. I got this for the wife, got it down to 12 3/4 ish LOP. The shorter grip to trigger length was Key for a comfortable grip for the wifes small hands. It is almost a 1" shorter than the OEM Browning Ladies model stock. I cant remember the exact price but 2 years ago it was less than 150.00 shipped. If I where to do it again and I had known about them at the time a Beretta 3901RL. Comes with spacers, shims, adjustable comb......right out of the box. and yes, when it is out grown you will have no problem selling it or buying a full size stock and longer barrel.
    I started my wife on a cut down 870 with the managed recoil and AA feather light loads. Now the Gold with Wenig stock pictured.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

dont forget to tell us what you got!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.