1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth Shooting Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 9point3, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I was talking to some of our youth shooters tonite and they told me that they were getting ready for the state shoot, Great! I thought maybe I would get to see some of them in Cedar Falls, buy low and behold they weren't talking about the Iowa State Trap Shoot they were talking about something else and they didn't even know that there is an ATA or what it is all about(I told them)

This made me think

How many sanctioning bodies are there for youth shotgun shooting?(it seems like the youth are always getting ready for one state shoot or another)

How many divisions/classes are there at these state shoots?( I hear talk of varsity, JV , novice, advanced, rookie, )

Why are there there plenty of kids shooting in theses other groups but the ATA isn't even on their radar?

What can we do to makethe ATA the thing to do?

2. MJC1963

MJC1963 TS Member

SCTP- Schoolastic clay target pregrram
    Classes
    Rookies.... 4th,5th and 6th graders
    Intermediate entry level...... 1st year particapants 7th and 8th graders even if particapated as a rookie
    Jr Varsity......1st year particapants 9th - 12th grade
    Varsity........ 2nd yr + particapants 10th - 12th grade
    this is a nation wide shooting organzation put on by the Iowa DNR they also host
    IHS....Iowa High School Shooting........ 9th - 12 grade all particpants in the same class typical shoot is 25- 16 yrd and 25 19 yrds
    AIM shooting ....... this is part of the ATA youth program and the Iowa state AIM shoot is this weekend
    Big Springs shooting complex Searsboro Iowa must have shoot 300 registered targets.
    SCTP must be school approved
    IHS.....teams must all be from the same school
    Then there is ATA not many students particapate as they shoot skeet and sporting clay disaplines in these catagories also
    Most students that do shoot ATA targets are good although Iowa's SCTP championships will take 198+ to be the Iowa state champ I believe the team champion was in 950/1000

3. HUNTER64

HUNTER64 Member

My two boy's shoot sctp and aim. The thing with ata is my kids are 7 and 8 years old. My 8 year old has a 90% average and my 7 year old has a 81%. When we go to ata shoots they are in a 14 and under division. When we shoot aim and sctp it is 11 and under. They hold their own in the 11 and under but there are some darn good shooting 12-14 year olds at the 16 yard line.. I just think the more age groups keep the shooting a little more fair with my boy's young ages.

T.J.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

You might have run into some Scholastic Clay Target Program kids....SCTP (acronym) for short.

SCTP is just not into shooting registered targets. However, the Trap targets at The 2010 SCTP National Team Championships to be held at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta, Illinois on July 21 through July 24, the Trap Championships will be ATA registered targets. The Skeet and Sporting Clay, Team Championship targets, will also be registered with their respective organizations.

The ATA Sponsored youth shooting is called AIM, an acronym for Academics, Integrity, and Marksmanship. The AIM Championships will be held August 7-8, 2010. Since it is sponsored by the ATA, they "REALLY LIKE" registered targets.

The SCTP encompass all three of the major shotgun shooting sports; Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays.

AIM is only for Trap shooting.

Until 2009, The National Shooting Sports Foundation sponsored SCTP. The National Shooting Sports Foundation announced after the 2008 SCTP National Team Championships it was no longer going to be the sponsor for SCTP and some new organization would take over in 2009, but nobody knew for sure who. It is now been spun off to form Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation and is now the sponsor and governing body of SCTP.

In late 2008 and early 2009, there was so much confusion with the spin off, the ATA stepped up early and formed AIM. We didn't know until mid February 2009 that SCTP was even going to exist at all.

Most of our entire Hoosier Daddy SCTP teams shoots at least one other discipline besides Trap. There are a few kids that only shoot trap or only shoot skeet, but whichever, we are introducing kids to the shooting sports, and that is a good thing. Both Trap and Skeet are loosing more shooters than we are gaining.

Mark

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

MJC1963;

Where did you ever get the idea that all the kids need to be from the same school or school approved?

It doesn’t say that in my SCTP Rule Book. Thank God!

I heard of a kid get in a very nearby school district, nearly being expelled for taking an empty hull to school with him. Around here, we have way too many screaming liberals saying all guns are bad. To get a shooting sport approved by a school or by a school board would be near impossible.

Mark

6. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

All one has to do is study the photos below about Kelsey Zauhar and it's pretty obvious why our youth does not dream of, nor flock to the ATA.

Kids seek, and dream of being like her or that Army shooter......ATA does not offer that dream to our youth, and until it does it's a loosing battle.

Just ask your self this.....What does the ATA have to offer a youthful champion shooter, or one that dreams of being one???????.....playing the options????.....

Trapshooters have forgotten what it's like to be young, dreaming of being an astronaut or fighter pilot or baseball hero or an Olympian.

It's simple salesmanship.

AND have any of you noticed the military recuiters......They use what a youth wants to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

has the sctp taken over the iowa high scool trap shooting

youth shooting forum