1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth Shooting Issues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 9point3, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I am a member of a small club where we shoot Skeet once a week, Trap once a week and the kids get there own special days two times per week.( could be trap, skeet or training for clays) I love the fact that the kids are shooting but they are invading the Trap nights and making it a PITA to shoot and the wait times are making some shooters think about moving to another club.

How do other ranges deal with this issue? We give reduced rates for all kids, and I would hate to see the guys who pay full price move on or shoot less because they are inconvenienced by those who shoot at a cheaper rate.

Any ideas

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

huh, pissed because of potential new shooters, members??? Why is it such a longer wait with young shooters? how about mixing the kids with the other shooters.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Our situation is a little different, we dedicate one night, Monday from 6-9pm to our youth shooting program. This works well for us as the range is normally closed on Mondays. Only shooters from 10 to not 18 are allowed to shoot on Monday nights. You have set shooting times and rules and enforce them.

Eric

4. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I don't think that there is anybody pissed that there are new members I think that there are folks that are gonna either move on to another club or quit shooting because they can't show up and shoot two rounds in 20 min or they can't shoot 4 rounds in an evening because there are just too many shooters.

I had a shooter mention tonight that "Kids get to shoot 4 nights a week, we only get to shoot 2"

The majority of the kids are using the regular trap night as supplemental practice for the local youth shooting team.

Do you think charging fuul price for kids on regular night would be out of line?

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

9point3,

There's nothing wrong with charging regular price on the non youth days. In fact since I shoot at a county run facility, the county sets the prices. The kids pay the same for targets ($7/25) on youth night as they would during regular hours. No price breaks for anyone. I know $7 for 25 targets is high but it's the only game in town.

Eric

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i have a very small club-when kids practise for highschool conf its 1/2 price-remainder of the time full px. we put in a 2nd trap for the reason you comment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.