1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

youth shooter looking for tips.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bmuellersjr., Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmuellersjr.

bmuellersjr. TS Member

my name is brandon. I am from ashland pennsylvania and I have been shooting since this summer. I shoot the winter league for the youth trap team in Minersville, PA. I got my chrismas present early this year it was a bt99. I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for me and or about the sport of trap. THANKS!!!!!

2. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Brandon, congrats on the wonderful Christmas present.

My name is Bud Bartholow. I have two sons who shoot. Foster and Matt started when they were 14 and 12 years old. They came to me and said they wanted to trap shoot and give up all other sports. We have NEVER regretted their decision. You will find the most incredible people in this sport BUT it is up to you to respect this sport and make it better.

I spoke to Foster and Matt and they will be more than happy to answer any/all of your questions. Just PM us and they will reply to you.

I had my sons watch many of the good shooters at our club and in our travels. Learn from them. Read. Ask questions.

Practice with a purpose. (the mental approach is KEY)

Develop a routine that you require to shoot your best. Here are a few points I had my sons do. Glasses on early before you go out to shoot. Get eyes accustomed to glasses. Watch targets before you get to the line.

BE CONSISTENT. Do the exact same thing all the time.

NO ATTITUDE. Throwing shells or any sign of frustration when you miss one is NOT acceptable.

Know your long streaks but shoot them all ONE AT A TIME.

This could be a very long reply. Just PM us and we will help the best we can

Bud, Char, Foster and Matt Bartholow

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Brandon,

You won't get a much better offer than what the Bartholows just offered you. His two boys are some of the best in the Trap shooting community both shooting and with their great humble attitudes. They have accomplished things in a short time that many worked a lifetime to achieve. You should take them up on that PM and hang on their every word. I have met the family personally and they are true ambassadors to our sport.

Just a little info:

Foster Bartholow

2011 Singles--98.42%

2011 27 Yard Handicap--93.19%

2011 Doubles--95.57%

Matt Bartholow

2011 Singles--99.42%

2011 27 Yard Handicap--94.26%

2011 Doubles--98.55%

As you can see, these two young men have some impressive numbers and i'm sure they could offer you some great advice. The whole family prides themselves on helping other shooters especially those younger shooters such as yourself. Just Say'n................

Matt Parker

4. OldBT

OldBT Member

Listen to what the Bartholows say, and try to emulate what they do.
    Martin Henderson

5. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Matt and Martin, thank you for the kind words about our family but WE are the one's who have been blessed by getting involved in Trapshooting. TRULY, the best people anywhere!!!

My son's lives where shaped by many fine people in this sport.

We are very thankful and never pass up an opportunity to try to help out.

Bud

6. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I am by no means an expert shooter; in fact, I've been struggling for the past year to shoot high scores again. However, I have learned some fundamentals along the way. Here are some of them.

1)Don't move your gun before getting a good visual read on the target.

2) Stay in the gun until you see the target break. Don't be in a rush to put the gun down.

3) Restart your mount if it doesn't feel right. It's not a race.

4)Practice is for working on the fundamentals; as mentioned above, practice with a plan. Forget about scores and try to understand both why you missed and what you are doing right.

5)Try to learn something from bad scores. Don't beat yourself up over what you can't change. Try to understand what needs to be worked on.

6)Focus on shooting one bird at a time. Don't let misses distract you. When you miss, don't show emotion.

7) Call for the bird in a low tone of voice. Shouting for it often causes a jerky motion.

8)Learn to set short-term and long-term goals, and reward yourself for achieving them.

7. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

There will be no shortage of advice.

Two things:

1) don't listen to it all.

2) have fun.

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I recently returned to shooting after a 25 year hiatus pursuing a career, so I am sort of a new shooter as well. Some things that have helped me get back in the groove are:
    1.)Get a routine on the line and stick to it.

2.)Hug the gun, even after the bird breaks.

3.)Focus so hard on the target that you don't just see the bird, but the edge of the bird.

4.)See each bird break.

5.)Keep the muzzle swinging through the target.

6.)Practice with a purpose. Good luck! Martinpicker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.