1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth shooter help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by todd farris, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

Howdy guys

My 10 year old stepson is shooting now and I need to get him a trap gun. I am thinking Beretta 391. He is small for his age so if anyone knows of one for sale with a short stock(or not)or something that might work better, please contact me. As well, it needs to shoot two shots as 4H shoots 5stand also.

Todd
    turbotoddie@gmail

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Have you considered a Remington 1100 20 gauge LT? I saw a 10 year old kid inkballing trap targets with one that had a 26 inch barrel with a youth synthetic stock. They sell around 400 to 600. FWIW. JM

3. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

I agree, a Remington 1100 20 gauge would be a much, much better choice, especially for a 10 year old, and you can certainly shorten the stock or buy a youth stock and swap it out. Since you say he's small for his age, I'd be wary about starting him too quickly. A gun with too much recoil could negatively affect him in a way that may keep him away from shooting forever. We rarely encourage 10 year olds to start shooting unless they're bigger and then certainly start them out slow.

What's he been shooting to this point? And what part of the country are you in?

Calamity

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Todd:

The LT-20 is great for bigger kids but my 10 year-old son had to lean back to keep his balance with it.

Young or small kids do better with the Remington 11-87 Sportsman Youth Compact Synthetic because it's light, and yet has little recoil because it's gas operated (as is the LT-20). Click on "Adjustable Length of Pull" and you'll see the other reason it's so well suited for kids.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/compact/shotguns/model-11-87/model-11-87-sportsman-compact-synthetic.aspx

It will also have good resale value when your boy outgrows it.

-Gary

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Or you can do what I did and buy a LT20 M1100 for your 10 year old and then discover you really like the gun for your own fun. I think it might be my favorite quail gun of all time.

If you do get the LT 20 and then add a shorter stock, put a few ounces of weight in the butt such that it balances back around the trigger area. Makes a big difference on how well the kid can keep swinging the gun.

The 391 is a great gun but they are heavy and really something that the young person needs to work up to. Perhaps not the best starter gun but something you might want to consider a couple of years from now.

6. mag410

mag410 Active Member

An odd thing about LT20's is that synthetic fore ends can weight nearly twice as much as walnut fore ends. 10.8 oz for the synthetic and 5.5-6.5oz for the walnut. This can make a significant difference with a small child as the weight is forward of the balance point.

Synthetic stocks are a couple of ounces lighter than walnut.

My youth/ladies gun is a LT20 set up with 23" barrel, a walnut fore end, a synthetic Monte Carlo Model 6/7600/760 stock with an R3 Limbsaver pad. It is kind of ugly as the stock is camo and the fore end is walnut, but it is a soft shooter and the Monte Carlo stock really helps small/thin faces to be able to look down the rib.

Michael Goines

7. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

For skeet, he is shooting a Win 101 20ga and doesn't have much trouble.

Thanks
    Todd

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

bt 99 micro 7/8 oz loads load it for a kid

9. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

Take a look at the Beretta 3901 youth 12 gauge, comes with short stock with additional spacers as he grows, adjustable comb excellent gun low recoil and it will fit him. Mark Richards

10. RDF

RDF TS Member

My son started out using my Mossberg 500, then a 12 ga 391 with 1 oz reloads, it was less recoil then the clubs 20 ga shotgun. I bought a youth stock for it, which I still have, I traded up to a BT-99 when he was 14.

11. RRA

RRA TS Member

Good luck. I started my small frame daughter in trapshooting. In three years she has had a Browning BPS 20 guage, Citori field gun (28 inch), BT 99 micro and now a Browning XT 30 inch with adjusted length of pull. My vote would be a BT 99 micro with reduced loads. They are easy to handle, swing well and shoot forever.

The only reason I don't lean towards autos is having to clean them more frequently and my experience with a Remington 11-87 is they jam causing frustration to the shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.