1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rufus T. Firefly, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly TS Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Hi, looking for opinions on guns to start my 9 year old son with. Thanks!
  2. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

Aug 13, 2011
    St. Charles, Missouri
    Beretta makes the 3901 RL ( reduced lenghth) great gun.

Remington 1100 Classic Trap great gun.

I would definitely start with a semi-auto for the reduced recoil. We have 25 athletes on our team and there are 7 shooting 1100's, 3 shooting Berettas, and 2 shooting Binelli's, all semi-autos.

How big is your 9 year-old? Is he over 100 pounds? Typically, our team "rule of thumb,"is if the shooter is at least 100 pounds, he can probably handle a 12 Gauge.Whatever you decide on, make sure it fits him. Kids at that age grow quick and soon outgrow guns , sometimes over the course of 1 shooting season.

Good luck.
  3. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Bt-99 micro..perazzi tm1.. Thoes are good guns in the 1000 to 2000 range usually.
    just bought a rowning citori plus. Everything on it OS adjustable including the rib and has a factory recoil reducer. Helps a little but since he's 9 that would be a good gun to start with .its bot too heavy and the gun will last forever
  4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Single shot say a 410 or 28 ga. One shot at a time and simple to work. You handle all the ammo at all times and you will know when its loaded and when its not. They are lite weight and easy for them to handle. Get them use to a gun first and gun safety. Once they know what is what then move them up to a larget ga. 12 I would think would be a harmful start for a new young shooter at that age. Get him hungry for more, then have him to scared to shot again.
  5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    1100 LT-20....

6. zeebheath

zeebheath Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Mt. Zion Illinois
    Beretta 3901 RL Target hands down. My boy started shooting when he was 7yrs old. We tried a Rem 870 youth, Rem 1100 youth, Franchi 720 youth all in 20ga. When he was 8 we tried the 3901 in 12 ga. and he loved it. Less recoil than all the 20 ga we tried. He could shoot 300 rds a day and would never complain of recoil. It is a great gun. It has an adjustable comb and it comes with spacer plates to extend the length of pull as your child grows. It comes with a magazine plug which you can put in the gun that prevents you from loading any shells in the magazine, one shell in the chamber only. It is light and well balanced, easy for a child to handle. It will cycle any thing you put in it from 7/8oz. to Nitros. He went 3500 rds once with out fail before I cleaned it. And best of all it's made in the USA at Beretta's pistol plant. The only thing I had to do was install a Briley Easy Bolt Closer button; the factory button is hard for a kid to push. I have been very impressed with this gun and I see alot of young kids grinding targets with this model.
  7. Dave327hp

Dave327hp TS Member

May 23, 2012
    the 3901 is good gun to start with also micro bt99 would be good. they are not a bad price. on the size of your child depends on alot. 9-10 years old i would be looking at 12ga. why? if you load the right shell 1oz with low psi alot of the time they will kick less than a 20ga. why? weight 20ga are lighter. if the stock fits him lop pitch it shouldnt kick much. then a 99 is the way to go for the money, you can make the stock longer as he grows with shims or thicker but pads 30 32 inch barrel they could get 3 to 4 years out of it. i coach around 40 kids and thats how we look at it. but once again all kids are not built the same. so get them what they can handle. hope this helps some
  8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Started my son on a open hammer 12 gauge, he couldn't cock the hammer after two shots which was unsafe, so I moved him to cut down BT99 at 8 yrs old. I loaded the lightest 7/8 oz load that would hit a target and then moved him up to light 1 oz and the onto 1/1/8 oz a few years later.

We actually started on a BB gun at 6 yrs old learning all the safety precautions, first at home then at the range away from everyone and then standing next to me as I shot. We went through the same procedures with his 12 gauge shooting at the pattern board learning to rotate to the right with an open gun when stepping away from shooting station just as you would coming off station five on the trap line.

When we did go to the trap field for his first round, I stood directly behind him for several rounds to make certain there were no issues safety or otherwise, there never were, he was fully trained and safe before he shot his first round of trap.

Regarding guns, the least expensive with the lowest recoil are automatics, but they require more attention to be used safely and are somewhat bulky for small framed shooters, break opens are easier to operate and are shown to be safe when they broken open with just a quick glance.

I would not waste time or money on a 410 or 28 as a begining gun for a youngster or any new shooter, they need a gun that will hit targets with limited instruction or they will loose intrest quickly. In my opinion the best automatic that fits most budgets is Beretta's 391RL as stated by others, my number one choice would be a cut down BT 99 or a Micro BT 99 which is Browning's factory version of a cut down gun for small framed shooters.

The key to buying a gun for anyone it must fit them, don't make the mistake many others have buying a gun to large on the premise they will grow into it; if you do, they be over shooting before they grow into the gun. Shooting is about fun, not pain and discomfort.

There's no greater joy than shooting clay targets with your son or daughter. Whatever you choose, enjoy these fleeting moments together.............

THEKIDFAN Member

Nov 23, 2011
    FYI, Beretta has quit making the 3901 RL Target so grab them quick if you want one! I did see they are now making the A 400 in a RL but they're about $400 more I think!
  10. PerazziMX2000

PerazziMX2000 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    As said above Beretta 3901 RL tgt.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.