1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

youth gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I'm looking for a youth gun for my little girl she is 10 .Her sister shoots trap in high school but i think she will out grow it fast so i dont want to spend much.ps is there an age limit on trap ranges .

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

KR;

What is your daughter's height and weight? Does she have any experience with long guns?

Call me at 920-431-1137 if you want to discuss it at length.

Rollin

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

10 is pretty young, though truth known, I think I started my daughter at 11.

I firmly recomemend a Remington 1187 youth model, and low recoil shells, to start.

The 1187 is not cheap, but very soft on recoil, which is the young shooter's bane.

I believe that gun can be made into a full size gun with a nnew stock and a longer barrel.

Make sure you first establish her eye dominance! If she's left-eye dominant, I believe you should teach her to shoot left-handed.

Good ear plugs and eye protection mandatory! You do not want any harm to come to the precious young one's eyes nor ears.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Beretta 3901, most adjustment right out of the box, exspands as she grows.

5. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I think you may find front-end weight to be the biggest hurdle. Take her to a gun store and have her handle some 20-GA and 12-GA semi-autos (like the Rem 11-87 Youth & Beretta 3901.) See if she has the arm strength to hold one. The Mossberg Bantam 20-GA youth gun (a pump) is light, as are alloy-frame Franchi semi-autos. Anything Rollin Oswald advises, you can take to the bank. Phil E

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

light 20 gauge guns, kick like hell to kids. They also tend not to fit. My wife has small hands. The grip to trigger length on all "off the shelf" youth guns was to long. No different than standard models. Which made for uncomfortable shooting for my wife. Ended up with a wenig new american stock on a browning gold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.