1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

youth gun wanted or advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

My son is 10. What guns should I consider?

Thanks
    Dave

2. sara.link

sara.link TS Member

The gun I would recomend is the micro BT 99 and perhaps a special butt plate. I can also give you contacts for that.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

No he can never hold a BT 99 - micro or otherwise

Find a Remington Special field 20 gauge with a 21 inch preferably or 24 inch stock- cut it as short as you can

An 870 with a short barrel would be the same except the recoil sensation might be more

Buy a longer stock for when he gets older or an adult but till then just put spacers on the cut stock

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mossberg makes a really cool youth gun with a vent rib and 3 different lengths of pads that bolt right on to the stock. They are pretty reasonable around $325 as I recall. Come in 20ga. If you are interested call me during the week and I'll send you some pictures and get you a price.

Bob Schultz 800-684-6329

5. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mossberg also makes a Youth Bantam 24" barrel pump in 20 ga with a 13" LOP stock for about the same money...

Bob

6. sara.link

sara.link TS Member

I would recomend not getting the remington 20 gauge because when my daughter had that gun it beat her up so baddly she was scared to use. It also left nasty bruses on her sholder and cheek. Now she has a BT 99 and it is very light.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Suprised nobody first asked how big this young lad is. His shooting experiance thus far would help also. My son was easily shooting a BT99 at 12 but his size allowed it. I would say more info was needed to give all choices.

Matt

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A 20 gauge gas gun. My Nephew started with a Remmy LT-20, we got a youth stock for him to use while he grew. When it was no longer needed it was very easy to sell.

HM

9. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

BT 99 Micro Plus is heavier than the 30 inch BT 99 Micro. If the kids are strong enough to shoot either, I would let them shoot 7/8 oz. loads. Been there , done that.

Charlie

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

sara link has contacts- obviously a gun to sell

I dont know they are using but to say a BT99 is light in weight and going to kick a 10 year old less than a gas operated auto 20 gauge auto is nuts

Regardless of gun- it must be short enough- and not enough parents are willing to cut one short enough(thinking they want to leave room for growth)

And it must be light enough

And it should throw a significant pattern so targets will break ( not a 410)

The loads should be as light as possible

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. sara.link

sara.link TS Member

Hi this is that young lady your talking about. I was 12 when I first started with the remington 20 gauge. I did take a good beating with that gun but I can say it made me a better shooter. I am at the age of 14 and I am Shooting 23's and 24's between my Micro BT99 and my Citori XT Combo.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

This Remingtom 11-87 Compact with adjustable length of pull is the ultimate starter trap gun for kids that young. Gas operated = low recoil.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/compact/shotguns/model-11-87/model-11-87-sportsman-compact-synthetic.aspx

Plus it's a good youth or ladies hunting gun so it will be easy to sell if you ever want to unload it.

-Gary

13. Bullcreek

Bullcreek Member

My son is 11 and about average in size for an 11 year old. He started shooting a couple of months ago. I purchased him a Beretta 3901 Target RL with a 28" barrel. The gun is light in wieght and he can handle it fine. It comes standard with a 12" LOP and two additional spacers that will bring it to 13" LOP when needed. The gun comes standard with an adjustable comb.

This auto cycles 7/8 ounce loads no problem and is very soft shooting. He shot 3 rounds of trap with it yesterday. The only thing I would recommend adding to it is an after market bolt release. The button on his was very hard to depress and he stuggled with it. I purchased the Angle Port closer and installed it and that did the trick.

This gun is somewhat hard to find but there are still some new ones out there to be had. I think they quite making them a year or two ago.

14. FrankJ

FrankJ Member

Dave: I have a Remington 1100 standard 20 gauge shotgun. It comes with both a skeet and a full choke barrel. It comes with a 13 1/2 LOP stock as well as a 14 1/2 stock. The standard is built on a 12 gauge receiver unlike the Light Weight model. If you are interested, I will take pictures and send them to you. Price for the ensemble is $750 + shipping. With a 7/8 oz load, there is very little recoil. Your boy can shoot either skeet or trap with this gun. Frank Novotny phone 928-684-3957

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Whatever you get - RELOAD. Cheap factory ammo will kick too much and the factory low recoil stuff is expensive.

There are light reloads for the 20 and 12.

The brain is a funny thing. If both a 20 and 12 kick the same, many will believe the 20 is softer shooting because the shell is smaller.

If you go for a 12, I can attest to what Bullcreek says about the 3901. That is the gun I started my 115 lb girlfriend on and she loved it. I loaded 7/8 oz weenie loads for her. She shoots a BT99 now with a PFS and 1 oz loads.
    Don Verna

16. RMR

RMR Member

My daughter started shooting trap at about 10 1/2 yeras of age. She is average height for a kid, she is skinny as a rail- now at age 12 she weighs about 80bs and is still real skinny.

we got her a micro bt99 when she started, and had a bump buster put on it. I also reloaded her 7/8oz light loads. As a matter of fact at first we put a browning chambermate in so she could shoot 28g shells though the gun to get use to the weight.... She shot "practice trap" : stood right at the base of the house and we set it for straigh aways only while using the 28g shells. We then intoduced her to the light 7/8 oz 12g shells with the same set up. Within 6mths she was shooting 1 oz 12g shells and on the regular trap fiels at 16yds.

As she has grown- we recently took off the micro stock and put on a standard bt99 stock with a Nelson adjustable butt plate and adjustable comb and she is doing fine (she is just over 12 years old now)

This worked for us- not sure if it will for you or not. I tried the 20g route- didnt work so well- in my opinion , and Im no expert on shell ballistics,but the 20g shells didnt have any less recoil than a light 12g shell.

RmR

17. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I will second the comment on the Remington 1100 Special Field. I have a 20 gauge model and put a youth stock on it for my son last year. With the short barrel it balanced very well and had minimal or no recoil. During the season last year I tried to get him to move to a Beretta Parallel target 12 gauge with a youth stock, but he did not like it. This year I just started him on the Beretta and it works fine, but he has grown 5 inches since last spring.

The Special Field may not be a "trap" gun, but it is a great way for a kid to learn to shoot a shotgun. The youth stocks can be found for $35, so your total investment is $400 - $600, depending on what you pay for the gun.

David

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My son was 10 1/2 and all of 75 Lbs when I gave him a cut down Model 32 Krieghoff. Less than 3 weeks later he broke his first 25 straight. Settle for nothing less than a cut down BT-99!!

19. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I lot of fine guns mentioned here. I will add a vote for the Beretta 3901 for youth. I have been working with them and Jr. High girls since the gun was introduced. The LOP is a major advantage for smaller shooters. Don't forget that the BEST advantage is that the pistol grip is closer to the trigger (about 2.75") which smaller hands shooters rarely enjoy. SOLD my 3901 but may buy it back in the future as the shooter matures. Have visitation privileges and have used as a backup a couple of times. It felt like Home! Many other guns can do what this gun does but NOT right out of the box. IMHO Your fingers may reach farther. YFMRF Omaha

20. dontate

dontate Member

My son is of small to average size. He started shooting at 11 years old. The first gun was a Mossberg 20 ga pump (bantam), ALOT of recoil. If you are not going to a gas operated auto get him a BT 99 or similar type gun. Look at the posts and you will see most people ended up shooting a BT. My son went from the Mossberg to a borrowed Remington 3200 and really shot much better. Yes the guns are a bit heavier but if you get the stock to fit I think the extra weight really helps with the recoil reduction and does not become such a major factor in handling the gun. Also as said before, get lighter loads. Cheap loads will beat the kids up too much. Finally have your son start shouldering the gun for as many times as he can, start at five and work up. It's not easly to pick up a gun 25 times in a row, try it yourself! All of the kids I have ever worked with in the scholastic programs become easily fatigued when they see competition over 50 targets. Regardless of the gun, you have to work up stamina especially when you are a little guy. Once they get tired their interest goes right out the door as does their scores!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.