1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth 20 ga auto 303 and 1187 ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lavarock, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavarock

lavarock TS Member

A year ago I bought a sweet Beretta 303 youth 20 ga/ 24 inch barrel for my nephews to start shooting (oldest is 12). The problem is the gun is 13.5 LOP and does not fit him.

At the gun club I had him try a 1100 20 / 21 inch barrel (I think 13 inch LOP). The gun fit better (still to short), but he could handle the gun better.

The gun will be used 50/50 for clays and hunting (possibly even deer hunting). Over time, I'm planning on teaching at least 3 boys to use this gun (2 nephews and my son)

SO, I'm asking for suggestions. Should I pony up and send the 303 stock out to get cut and get spacers made? Where?

Would I be better off getting an adult 1187 for the 3" capacity and buying a youth stock for it?

Thanks

2. cleboje

cleboje Member

LR

Give jeffsoutfitters.com a look on the web...you can pick up a new full size 303 stock for $100...That way you can swap out stocks to suit a younger shooter or an adult with minimal cost.

Joe

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My daughter has a Rem 1187 20ga.<br>
    <br>
    I bought a wood Rem monte carlo stock for an 1187 12ga slug gun. I cut the tenon back about a half inch in the front, which is about where the checkering ends. The tenon was then reduced in outline, and shortened to fit. This moved her hand closer to the trigger. That's something that no commercial youth stock maker offers. You have to customize to get that.<br>
    <br.
    The back end was then cut down as far as the stock bolt would allow, and a thin soft pad (1/2") was installed. I had a shop do this.<br>
    <br>
    The resulting LOP is 12.5". And she can reach the trigger easier. The comb is a wee bit high. I need to work with her to reduce it a bit.<br>
    <br>

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The 303 will kick his ass off. I know as I have owned about three of them. get the 1100 20ga LT and buy a youth stock. If you decide to stick with the 303 cut the stock as short as you can and then have the stockman fit the biggest Supergooey pad that will fit and have the gun still fit the kid. The 303 20 ga youths KICK. Jeff

5. lavarock

lavarock TS Member

Thanks fellas-

Glad you replyed Jeff, I know your a very knowledgeable 303 guy. I actually had him fire a round about a year ago and nearly brought the boy to tears (big mistake). I don't want to make that mistake again! What is it about the 303 that makes it kick worse than other gas autos? Would the 391 RL be a better choice? Looks like this gun will go up for sale if that is the case. To bad, because it is near new.

After a little more thought, the boys won't be able to deer hunt until they are 16. So, the guns duties will be clays, waterfowl and upland hunting starting at age 12.

Thanks for the opinion on the 12 guage. This is an interesting option because 20 ga waterfowl loads are very limited. Anyone else think this may be the way to go? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The biggest reason is weight.The softest kicking 20 ga auto is the Standard frame 1100 20 ga. This is what I shoot when I shoot a 20. This was the first 20ga 1100 auto and it was built on the 12 ga frame. This gives it more weight and as far as I am concerned they point better. Stiff 7/8 ounce loads in a gun that weighs 2 to 3 pounds less is a no brainer, I always hear guys talk about how little a 20 kicks and it amazes me as any 20 ga that is scaled down usally kicks hard. A guy can normally find a Standard weight 20 ga 1100 on Gunbroker.com or auction arms for less then 500 bucks. I saw a near new one go for less then 600 last week and they haven't made the Standard weight in over 20 years. A regular youth 1100 12 ga stock bolts right on to a standard weight 20 ga as the reciever is the same except for the mods made to handle the 20 shell. These guns are always in demand as well and you will never have any trouble getting your money out of one. Whatever you choose load the ligtest shells that wikll cycle the action until the kid is large enough to handle recoil. Good luck. Jeff

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

8. Brian in Oregon

Years ago when I was shooting an 870, I shot a friend's 303 (both 12ga). I didn't notice any difference between the two for recoil.

9. lavarock

lavarock TS Member

Jeff-

Thanks again for the reply. Great tip on the 20ga 1100 in the 12 ga frame. It sounds like light weight is the recoil problem in this situation. I currently am set-up to reload for 12 guage only. What do you think about going with a fitted 12 ga. 1100 and loading the shells as light as possible? (as suggested before) It does'nt seem the weight difference between the 12 and 20 (with 12 frame) would be that different. I guess the other item in the back of my mind is the availability of waterfowl loads for 12 vs. 20 guages.

Thanks

10. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I have basicly the same problem. Only mine is a 12 year old Lady. She wants to shoot so bad she can tast ie. Shoot Trap that is. She got a 22 for Christmas with a scope and we fitted that to her and she loves it. The thing now is she is tired of the 22 qand wants to get going on the Trap Shooting. She wants nothing to do with hunting. Just Clay Shooting. I let her shoot my 870 12 only one time. No it does not fit her but she was big hearted enough to give it a try. As of comming soon we are getting her an 1100 12 gage and fitting it to her and loading the lightest I can so it will do the acrion thing without any problems. I have done4 this in the past for my wife and she loved how it shot and felt. I moved her up a liuttle at a time to some heavier loads by adding one here and ther and eventually she got to where she could shoot light heavy loads such as 15.5 Grains Red Dot and 1 oz. Shot in a AA shell. She was hitting 22 to 24 and some 25 straights there at the end. My wife told our Grand Daughter to hang in there that her Grandfather knowsb how to make the bigger gun work all she has to do is strenghthin her arms up to handle the weight of the gun. This she is doing. She has 10 LB. Weights and does a 20 minute session with them each day. She'll get it. I recomend going the 12 gage all the way. But get it to fit. If it dosen't quite they have a tendancy to cheek slap and tend to leave a nice bruise from this. But when it is completely fitted they are the smoothest shooting guns I have ever picked up. And I shoot for the 16's and handycap an 870. My scores with either are about the same. Not one any better then the other. With things changing for me it might be that I will have to go to the 1100 and sell my 870 or use it as a backup. But we will see. Rich.)inPeoria,Az.)

11. m70win

m70win Member

Lava I have 2 1100LTs plastic stocked 1 youth and 1 adult and 4 daughters. The LTs aren't that light. I find them to have low recoil. By swapping out the 1/2" youth pad with the 1" regular pad you can adjust the length of pull quite nicely.

Tim

12. Brian in Oregon

I absolutely disagree that it's a "mistake" to start a youth with a 20ga, especially a 20ga gas automatic.<br>
    <br>
    First, 20ga gas guns will cycle lighter loads than a 12ga gas gun will. The 20ga guns will cycle 7/8oz 2-1/2 dram loads. The lightest loads a 12ga will reliably cycle are 7/8oz 2-3/4 dram. That's a 1/4 dram difference, and it makes a difference. An LT-20 or 1187 20ga has very little felt recoil.<br>
    <br>
    Second, many people of small stature cannot physically hold up the weight of a 12ga gun. And some have problems with the girth of the 12ga grip and forend. A 20ga guns definitely can make sense in these cases.<br>
    <br>
    I've been shooting an 1187 20ga with a monte carlo stock for trap. It's a 7/8ths scale trap gun. I started shooting it a lot when I lost strength in my left arm due to a pinched nerve. At one point I couldn't even hold it up for long. My scores were the same as with my 12ga trap gun.

13. lavarock

lavarock TS Member

Thanks for the additional insight fellas. I guess the primary objective is to get set-up for hunting (this is why I shoot clays - to keep my shooting skills sharp). With this in mind, he needs to be able to swing the gun well on game. I'll see if some of the guys at the club can load light some 20 guage shells for me. Sounds like the 20 is the way to go for our application.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.