1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your worst job

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by yakimaman, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm bored, too much time on my hands today. So, what's the worst job you've ever had? I've had some I thought were pretty bad (gopher in a funeral home) but hands down, it's the 12 months I spent as a public transit bus operator.

Rich

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Well let's see...

Maybe being in a combat unit in Vietnam? Nah! Nope, volunteered, loved jumping out of planes and couldn't wait to get to there.

Truth is I've never had a "worst job", only some worst parts of the job.... as in when I was on the State Police and had to advise relatives of a accident/murder/death that their loved one. There was just never a good way to tell them and the timing always seemed to be at the most disadvantageous part of their lives.

Curt

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

That would be tough to do

The worst job I ever had was when I was a kid, Dad had a big farm, no problems with that, then he decided to raise turkeys, I figured I could handle that, but when he started building the buildings to hold them I thought oh shit, we would get 250,000 poults early in the spring, raise them to range size 4-6 lbs, then sell all but about 80,000, and we would move them to the range, it was non stop work, if it rained or stormed you had to go pick up the dead ones, and I swear maggots develop in an hour or less, then you'd have to move them to dry ground then in the fall loading them up, some of the toms would get to 50-60 lbs live weight, it was a workout, and they had some damn good sized spurs too UGH

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

When i was 14 (in 1979) I spent 45 days one summer working on a hog farm - a big one - with between 3k and 4k pigs at any time. The farrowing house had 72 crates, and the stench was unbelievable.

45 days work paid $150 plus room and board. I worked 6am to 6pm six days a week, and a half day on Sunday. But there was a farm pond that was just STUFFED with 1 lb bluegills and 2 lb bass, and I could fish every night after work and that half day sunday.

The worst job is the one I have right now. But that's a different story....

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Not mine, but, this will be the worst I can think of.

stevew_2008_030335.jpg

6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

prostate exam?

I know how that feels.

7. APrice

APrice Active Member

Went to work for my grandfather when I was about 12. He was in the wholesale produce business. Harvesting watermelons was the worst part of the job. Several guys form a line and throw watermelons towards the truck. You can't slow down or stop...every time you turn your head there's another melon in the air on it's way to you. Try that for 3 or 4 hours non-stop! The next worst thing was picking peaches. By nightfall, I looked like a strawberry and itched intensely. Gave me a little more understanding of what migrant laborers do for a living.

8. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

My worst, even after being a gofer in a funeral home, was my one year stint as a public transit bus driver. Constantly surrounded by a class of screaming, shrieking, ignorant, vulgar people and that was the other drivers - a good number of the passengers were even worse. It paid the bills but it damn sure wiped out any liberal tendencies I had.

9. ctreay

ctreay Member

Right now it appears to be retirement. I no longer get a paid lunch hour or two 20 minuite breaks every day, no holidays off, I miss my six weeks paid vacation, my insurance plan sucks, all my socializing during the day is gone, no more uniform allowence, I am telling you retirement is awful!

That said I believe that most if not all jobs are what you make them.

ctreay

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I was a bookkeeper for a Jewish rag man. Literally sold rags. Bulge.

11. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The worst job is trying to find a job when you're (say) 'over sixty' and not really a 'diverse employee'.

LA in MA

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Had several miserable jobs as life progressed, though there was always something in the sack of cash and the paychecks never bounced.

The experiences made me a better employer when I was in business.

Off subject - I think lack of experience is Obama's biggest problem.

13. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

And ego/pride is his other.

14. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Pearl Diver for a cafeteria ?? I guess I'm too old or too young to know what this is..

15. TERRYB

TERRYB Member

I too was a pearldiver....Black Cat truck stop, Hobart Indiana 1959.....damn, I hated that job but I found out early in life that you have to work if you want/need money.

70 cents an hour plus a tip from the cooks if you peeled potatoes and a tip from the waitresses if you helped them bus the tables.....Terry

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Some could have a job testing pillows in a pillow factory and still complain...

17. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Body and fender shop, beating out dents in fenders and leading them in for $7.50 a week plus painting them. What a miserable job.

18. avery53

avery53 Member

Years ago, but Septic Tank pumper. Sh!tty job!

avery

19. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

My own company with a dishonest business partner!

milt

20. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Used to run million dollar commercial construction jobs. Company went out of business. Then took a job selling wholesale to local residential contractors. We used to read the "crime beat" part of the paper every morning to see which of our valuable customers got arrested last night. I had to cater to these knuckleheads because they were the customer.They used to call and scream at me on the phone call me names, that they couldnt even spell. High school drop out dead beats calling me an idiot. Day in,day out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.