1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on the Beretta UGB25 Xcel Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MIke W., Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MIke W.

MIke W. TS Member

Hello everyone. New to the site and would like to read your thoughts on this gun. I personally like the new design and the idea of a break-open/semi-auto, but I haven't read any articals on it that they wern't trying to sell me one.. I'd like to here from any owners or fokes that have test drove one. Love'em or hate'em.
    Thanks
    Mike W.

2. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Member

Mike W. I have one for sale if you are interested. 30" trap model with Joel Etchen Comb parts installed. Probably a little over 1000 rounds fired. $2900
    BTW I liked the gun for sporting clays, it points and works well. I'm just selling a few guns to buy a new combo. mac davis ogden UT

3. samer0214

samer0214 TS Member

I shot a friend's 2 times, and couldn't warm up to it, although I have been wanting one since they came out.

I just can't get over the mechanical sound it makes every time it is fired. To me it sounds way too loud and metallic, if that makes any sense. In comparison I shot my friend's Benelli semi and had no complaints about the noise. I know the guns are fundamentaly different in design, and should sound different, but even with my ear protection on, it was too annoying.

I hope that makes sense, and helps you out, because any gun should be judged on the way it points and shoots rather than the sound it makes, but in this case that issue outweighed all other factors.

Samer

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mike save yourself alot of money and buy a 39l instead!!! Or buy a 682 Gold E O/U, and still save money! There are just two many moving parts in the Ugly 25 as I call them. I've shoot them and they do point OK, but they are too clunky for me. To each there own though. They were made to shoot bunker in Europe as you need to use a break open gun to follow the rules, this allows some shooters to get a lighter recoiling type auto and still be in the rules. Way to complex to break down and take apart as well. Break-em all. Jeff

5. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

They incorporate the worst features of both...they kick like a break open gun and have the functional reliability of a poorly made auto. You would be way ahead buying a 391 Beretta auto like the post above suggests.

Bob Schultz

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Echo what what Mr. Schultz said more of less. I wanted one in the worst way...until an acquaintance who wanted to sell one, loaned me his UGB Sporter for a week. 3 flats through it on both trap and sporting fields. It did point and shoot nicely for me. BUT..its got to be the most complicated gun I have ever seen. That was slightly worrisome. Still, I wasnt ready to give up. Called the Beretta shop I deal with up in Maine (you know who they are) and told them I was thinking of buying this gun and could they crisp up the trigger a bit. They said, yes we can can but added they have no plans to provide any type of support for the UGB. Just for my own curiosity I contacted a major Beretta dealer to ask if they were going to service/sell the UGB's. This dealer said they have sold a few, have one in stock but in the future will no longer have any in inventory, special order only. No parts in stock and no plans to change that. Decided to pass on the UGB.

Crystal ball says.... UGB's will cease production soon.

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

A friend was in the Beretta showroom in London, England, and asked if they had any single barrel trap guns. The salesman pulled out a UGB, and was all set for a hard sell, but was informed there was NO WAY my friend was interested.
    The salesman then relaxed a bit, and in conversation agreed with my friend about the UGB. He also said they had sold several, and they had all come back as unsatisfactory.
    That being said, I shoot with a guy who has one, and since he got the bugs out, he shoots it really well.I personally wouldn't buy one, but I might try one sometime, just to find out more about them.

8. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I've owned a UGB25 for a couple of years and like it a lot.

I was looking for a gun with recoil like an auto but without getting shells thrown across my line of vision, which most gas autos do because I'm left handed. (The gun throws empty shells down in front of you.)

As to recoil, once I got the stock to fit me, recoil on the UGB25 was somewhere between an 1100 and a Citori. I think people who find a lot of recoil in the gun have been subjected to a poorly fitting stock.

My UGB points well, and really smokes targets when I'm on them.

As to the noise, the action utilizes a spring in the stock, and that spring can ring when the gun is fired. You hear it because the spring is behind the wood next to your ear. It's a little strange, but not loud or annoying. You get used to it quite quickly. This thread is the first time I've heard anyone complain about it (or even mention it).

As to parts and support, mine failed to lock up after about 8,000 rounds, so I sent it to Beretta in Maryland. They sent it back after about two weeks and $130, and it hasn't malfunctioned since.

If you can get one to try, it's worth the effort to find out if the gun suits you. I'm sure not sorry I bought mine.

Ted K.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

They're good for making friends. Every time you show up to a shoot you'll draw a crowd and every one will want to try it or at least shoulder it.

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

One might be worth purchasing and put in the gun cabinet for a few years.

I helped sell one for my neighbor, who sold it for a good price.

He was told only a limited number were imported and that Jaqua sold the most.

Possibly a collectors item in the coming years.

Regards....Gerald

11. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

"Collectors Item" ... Something you own that might be worth a few dollars long after you are dead.

No dealer I know will take one of these in trade (unless he's selling you an already over priced POS he wants to get rid of) at anywhere near what you'll pay for one. Look elsewhere!

Bob

12. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Ted K's, response tells me right away whether I would want one. Broken after only 8000 rds and Beretta charged him $130 to fix it. NOT!

Buz

13. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Yeah, and if it hadn't broken, the statements that the gun gets no parts/service support would have been right, so the gun is no good for that reason. You win either way. The fact that I'm still shooting it (without any problems) and like it counts for nothing, compared to the views of people who have never owned one.

Do I have it right?

Ted K.

14. autogun

autogun Member

I have one-- I like it.
    Search for other discussions. The general theme is that people who actually have them, like them.

15. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Here's a URL for a recent thread on another forum discussing the benefits of owning a UGB25:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=199348&sid=485122fe36e44bb2a299f8bf7f41d5ca

Careful - it's catching . . . .

Ted K.

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

There junk. A friend of mine was given a second one for free from Beretta because his breaks so much.

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Ive read all the responses, shot the gun myself, and the gun is a target cruncher, when it works. With that being said, the name of the game in the shooting sports is reliability, and sorry to say this is where the gun is lacking. If I had the funds to purchase this gun, I would. I would keep it in the original box and store it away. Thirty to 40 years later, sell it, as it will be a collectors item. You will have earned more money for the gun then just having your cash sit in the bank.
    Steve Balistreri

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've never met anyone who paid over $3K for that gun say anything bad about it. Most don't still own one.

A creative solution to a non-existent problem IMHO.

19. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Think Browning Recoiless...........Are they a hot item now?

20. Smoke 1

Smoke 1 Banned User Banned

Mike, listen to Bob Schultz- he knows. You are asking for trouble with an unproven gun. Get yourself a break open gun- automatics are problematic.EB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ugb25 for bunker