1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your stock measurements help me

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet100, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Ok I have been learning more and tweaking my stock, over 10+ years, till I have finally got about what I want but I just have to know am I a freak of nature with these measurements or am I normal?

I have learned a heads up position is better than head roll over or neck bent way down so here I go and you tell me......

LOP: 15"
    Comb: 1&5/16"
    Cast: none straight comb
    Drop at heel: 3&1/2"

I also cock the adjustable butt plate for a "bottom out/top in" so it fits my shoulder pocket. I don't have the equipment to take all those measuremets.

The 3&1/2" drop at the heel is the one that has got me to thinking wierd, the most.

I once was so happy with a standard ole factory stock and now look what I have become........what kind of a wierd-o have I become. I could once just sit and look at folks with stock contraptions and now I need the hardware....

your comments and thoughts, please

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with any of those measurements if that's what it takes for you to be comfortable and shoot better. Would you question the same measurements if you paid to have a stockfitter fit you for a custom stock?

Eric

3. skeet100

skeet100 Member

probally not

do others have a 3.5" drop at heel ????

MORE than that ?????

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The drop at the heel of 3.5" seems a bit excessive but it may compensate for a low gun mount or a long neck in which case it would be fine.

The other dimensions, LOP in particular suggest that you use an oblique stance rather than standing more square to targets' break points.

Dimensions are correct when they allow you to use the shooting form of your choice and do not force you to use a particular shooting form, correct or not.

The position of the head is best when it is upright and looking straight ahead although turning the head toward the stock slightly to compensate for ideal cast is not a serious disadvantage.

Creating cast at the toe (rotating the toe outward) is find unless it is necessary because of inadequate pitch on the stock and not because of chest muscle shape.

The key to a well fitting stock is dimensions that allow the shooter to use the shooting form of choice. Problems arise when the dimensions require the shooter to use a particular form and the form does not promote shooting as well as could be expected if a correct form was used.

Rollin

5. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Actually........

I stand fairly straight up.
    LOP has been fairly consistent no matter my other changes.
    I do have a slightly longer neck. I am a large frame and with fair muscle mass.
    My chest muscle/shoulder has a very pounced pocket and has little options due to my chest muscle.
    I also mount the top of my pad not too much below the top of my shoulder.
    A few years back I went to a good stock fitter and didn't do what I was told. I am now working in the direction he taught me. For me it has been a gradual change for the better and not a quick fix. I don't regret spending the money and not following advice, I learned a lot and I am now using it. At the time I just couldn't deal with it. There is a lot to learn in shooting sports.

I have tried a stock with cast and they don't fit me.

Oh well, live and learn.

I see a lot of nice custom stocks on here and I often wonder how long you need to shoot before you know enough to spend that kind of money.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The answer is in your score

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

The bottom line is..........Are you breaking the birds. That is really what matters.

And what is good for another man may not be to your liking. If it fits, and breaks the birds, then stick with it.

Hauxfan!

8. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

To me the most important question to ask your self is "As I made these changes to my stock did felt recoil go down ?" I have found , through my own experiance (so take this for what its worth)if your stock truely fits you felt recoil will be substantial lower. We as human beings can just about adapt ourselves to any stock and , after awhile with practice score very well with it , but the recoil thing will really tell you if the fit is right. To me it is of the upmost importance for gun fit , there is a chance if you have adapted the wrong form over the years that a well fitted stock will actual cause scores to go down up until you have shot enough shells through the gun to adapt to it. How will you know if you made or are making the right adjustments as you go...........there will be less felt recoil.

9. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

skeet,

I think many answers here apply, the most important criteria is are your scores better? Followed closely is the gun comfortable to shoot?

Dimensions don't mean a lot by themselves, they must match the individual shooter. A person with a larger distance from the eye to the shoulder pocket will naturally need more drop at the heel than a person with a short neck and shorter, rounder face.

I have had Wenig build two stocks for me and have bondo'd several other stocks myself. My Wenig build sheet shows 3&3/8" drop at heel, 1&1/8" drop at the comb, its a double monte carlo stock with plenty of toe out. 14&3/8" LOP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.