1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

your state regs on buying guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tbobaa, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

here in ill. we have to have a firearm owner identification card renewable every 10 years 24 hour waiting period on long guns 72 hours on hand guns how does your state do it?

2. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

In Indiana you fill out the form, the dealer calls the FBI for a background check , can come back three ways- proceed, hold, or denied. If proceed you pay for the gun and leave. If hold the dealer will call you if the FBI calls back for a proceed or deny. It is my understanding if the FBI does not call the dealer in a set amount of days it is an automatic proceed. No waiting period on any type of firearm.

3. tomc66

tomc66 Member

Gary, your reply is very harsh. If you are tired, then take a rest. The feds are not coming to take your guns.

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

VA:

commercial sale of long guns and handguns: fill out the background check paperwork and the FFL dealer submits it to the VA State Police. VA State Police act as conduit for the NICS stuff for whatever reason. I usually pass the check within 15 minutes. No Firearm ID card needed. No pistol permit needed. Non-US citizens are not allowed to purchase, from a FFL dealer, a long gun defined as an "assualt rifle".

Class 3 items are allowed for private ownership as long as you fill out the proper paperwork (e.g. ATF form, etc.) and your local LE chief sign off on the paperwork.

Private face to face sales are allowed of handguns and long guns. I do not know the rules for private transactions for Class 3 items.

No magazine limits for handguns or long guns. If there is a magazine out there that can hold 1000 rounds, it's legal in VA. LOL

The "One handgun a month" law was just repealed earlier this year.

The only thing I wished VA would do different would be the background check as MD does it. I have bought guns from a dealer in MD and he was able to phone direct to the NICS and get the instant check done without waiting on a "middle man", like VA does with the State Police.

5. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

MOVE OUT OF ILLINOIS

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Idaho, dealer calls the Feds, usually cleared within five minutes. That is unless the buyer has a concealed weapons permit - in that case the sale is immediate, no call necessary.

7. tachyon

tachyon Member

Nebraska longuns, fill out federal form 4473, dealer does the check via NICS. Pay for gun. Take gun.

Handguns require a "Firearms Purchase Permit", acquired from the County Sheriff. Cost is $5.00, good for 3 years. Time to complete depends on the County and the disposition of the clerk handling your application and can take up to 3 days. Omaha has a special process by which you must register your handgun. Buy from dealer with the permit given by the sheriff, get permission from the Omaha Chief of Police, pay the Omaha Police $15.00 then pick up gun.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

In Pennsylvania, you fill out the 4473 for a long gun or 4473 and PA State Police form for handguns. The FFL holder then runs an instant background check, which takes two minutes maximum, and if approved, you take your gun(s) and go. No waiting period, no limit on number of guns, no special pre-approval or permits.

The State Police does look at the applications sent to them, though. I once bought a collection of S&W handguns and transferred them all at the same time. A month or so later, I received a call from PSP confirming everything. It was very polite and non-threatening, almost as if they were making sure my identity was not being used by another person.

Ed

9. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

In NJ for long guns, you need a Firearms ID card. At pick up, you need to fill out a certificate of eligibility, form 4473, and pass the NICS. FID card has no expiration date, but needs to be updated within 30 days in case of a change of address, etc. When I first applied for the FID card in 1966, it took about a week. Today, I've heard cases where it has taken about 6 months.

For handguns, you need a FID card, and a separate purchase permit for each handgun, plus form 4473, and pass the NICS. By law, the chief of police of your town should issue or deny the purchase permit within 30 days. In reality this discretion is abused and they can practically take as long as they want.

The chief of police (of your town) or the superintendent of the NJ state police are the only people authorized to issue FID cards and/or handgun purchase permits.

Class 3 weapons, forget it. Your chief of police will never sign off on it.

10. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

sorry Gary that was such a stupid question and i am a member of the nra

11. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

Walk in the store.

Say I want that gun.

Show ID and proof of residence.

Fill out paper work.

Sales guy makes phone call to the feds.

Pay for gun.

20 min from parking lot to parking lot on the last one I bought.

If I had a current CCW the time would be cut in half or quicker as it eliminates the paper work and phone call but......I don't need a CCW

12. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Michael, what state is that?

Charlie

13. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I really don't know all the hoops you have to jump through here, don't buy that much for a store front any more.

I do know a CCP waves any waiting period.

I like the cash and carry purchase. Find someone selling what you want and pay that person and carry on, with life. And lately LIFE is good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.