1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your personal experience with Wenig?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by steevo, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steevo

steevo TS Member

I have never used Wenig, but from what I have heard he is one of the best Steve

2. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    I have not personally had a stock made by them, but a number of our customers have over the years and it is suppose to be a wonderful experience. Wenig just made two stocks for Kim Rhode (a very tough fit), which we then put our system on - they did a wonderful job. I don't think that you could go wrong with them. Also, in case you are interested, I believe they also have a large selectiion of wood on site, some of it is suppose to be really stunning! In any case, good luck, I think you'll be very pleased. Mike Gregory

3. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have been through two fitting sessions with Wenig for different guns. I would suggest the folllowing:

1. Take your gun and your shooting stuff, including ammo.

2. You will probably start about 7:15 AM, Jimmy fitted me and he is great to work with.
    3. They will take a rough stock and file away or add bondo until you say it feels right. Pay particular attention to the grip for comfort and an elevated right elbow. Be patient, mount the gun MANY times.

4. Know exactly what POI you want at 20 yards (that is about the distance where you point the gun with a laser in the barrel after the stock is bondo'd) for the height of the comb.

The stock will be ready for duplication on wood you choose by about 11AM, you can probably shoot it at their range about 2PM. They can seal the stock and you can shoot it for a few months or you can leave it for final checkering and finish. Their gloss finish and fine line checkering is very nice.

I added the adjustable comb before the stock was finished and sent to me. They use good hardware.

Wood upgrades? Only you can decide, they will show you as many sets as you like (or can afford) in all grades. A friend of mine bought a blank, took itto the fitting and it was not dry enough to work. He bought a blank from Wenig.

It was truly an enjoyable experience to go through at their place.

Don Rackley

4. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

John,
    I had a stock made by Wenig's from my own wood. They spent the day working with me. Elbert would add a little bondo here and there and shape things to fit perfectly. When he was satisfied with the fit, they took my blank and chewed out a rough copy to work on, leaving plenty to do the final fit. I was then taken out to the range where I shot on a patterning board and then on the trap range, with Elbert ordering adjustments as we went. When the stock was fit to perfection, they sent me on my way and finished the shaping, sanding and checkering. (you get to pick out your finish, checkering.) They glass bed the iron to the wood after you leave, and one day a package arrives with a piece of wood that fits like a glove and looks perfect. I have another piece of wood that I bought for another gun, and will let them do their magic this winter.
    Pat Haskins

5. JEB

JEB Active Member

My wife had a stock made by Wenig about a month ago. Don describes the process exactly. We used their wood, a beautiful piece of Bastogne, but I understand that you are welcome to supply your own. She is thrilled with the results and says it fits like a dream. One very satisfied customer here!

John Bergman

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Only have bought there semi inlet stocks, great pieces. Custom must be grand!

7. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

What do they charge for the fitting & shaping - not including the wood?

hubcap

8. Sixshooter

Sixshooter TS Member

I've had seven stocks made by them. Every experience was great. Jimmy did all but one and he is a great guy as well as a real craftsmen. Plan on the whole day and getting all that you want.

Mark Zauhar

9. PITA ; please move East

PITA ; please move East TS Member

Buy your stock from him. The reason being if he starts turning the stock and the wood turns out to be bad he will get you another piece of wood at no cost to you. If you have somebody elses wood you either have to leave and go back to that wood guy to get a replacement then back to Wenig to try again; or you then buy wood from Wenig and then try and get your money back from the other wood guy.

It is always the best choice and least hassle to get your wood from the person making your stock.

10. guncase

guncase TS Member

everyone just kinda "glides over" the question about what they charge,, don't they??? If you have to ask,, you probably can't afford it!! But then,, what is it worth to have a gun that shoots exactly where you look??

Might as well figure on around $2000. for a finished stock, on a nice piece of wood. Better the wood, the better the price.
    I had Jeff Mainland help me to get a stock that is a pleasure to shoot for my
    Kolar. I have since duplicated it for a 3200 Unsingle. It also is a great shooter,well worth the money.

It takes a special talent to fit a gun to someone else. I thought that I had a good idea what I needed,, but with Jeff's help, we found some things that I needed and hadn't thought of before.

Just be sure to take the time to get it RIGHT FOR YOU!!
    Paul

11. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

The Crew at Wenig are just Great.
    They took the time to work with me and I could not be happier.
    In Fact, when next I get back too the Kansas City area, I will make the trip to Lincoln and have them make another forend for my Ljutic which my GrandSon took a nice BIG chunk out of.
    Wenig is a Great Bunch....Go for it.

12. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

If you REALLY want to see some quality wood, contact Cecil Fredi. His website is www.gunstockblanks.com. Send him an e-mail and let him know about how much you want to spend and what you are looking for in your blank. He will then send you pictures of 50 or so blanks. Don't like those? (Unlikely) Let him know and he will send more pictures. Cecil has something like 30,000 blanks air drying in Las Vegas. I just bought a piece of exhibition grade English Walnut from him for my K-80. Couldn't be happier.

A fancy grade finished stock from Wenig will cost you $3,200.00. It will cost more if you want really nice wood. I was quoted 5 - 7 months for a stock from Wenig. There are several really exceptional stockmakers out there if you do some research. Regards, Bob Ramsden - Dallas, TX

13. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

John Malcolm

If you have any questions about the quality or cost of a Winig crafted gunstock give them a call at (660) 547-3334 or (660) 547-3335 or visit their web site at http://www.wenig.com/..... Don't listen to a bunch of hype about what their finished stocks might cost, call them up yourself and find out first hand.....

For those shooters that are on a budget, Wenig also offers an extra full unfinished stock in your choice, completely inletted for you to finish the fit to your gun and to your personal form and fit for around $100.... So call Wenig and you won’t be disappointed, I can assure you of that!

14. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

Wenig doesn't quote pricing on the website. You will need to request a catalog.

15. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

I had Wenig build a stock for me last winter. I am very pleased with the stock and the service I received. As for fitting I think is was around $250-350. Whatever the charge the fit is great and well worth the money. I'm not the easiest guy to fit, but Wenig's did a great job. I'd reccomend them to anyone. When my son quits growing, I'll have Wenig fit him for a stock.
    Dan King

16. old tex

old tex TS Member

Some years ago I had Fred make me a fancy Ljutic Mono stock with hi-dollar wood.

After I received it I found that it was low, I caled Fred and he asked me to return and be refitted.

Long story short I did and they did, they made another out of equally beautiful wood and at "NO CHARGE". They even let me keep the first one!!!

Super folks!

Dick Lindsay

17. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

Sometimes the smallest of things say a lot. I have bought several stocks from Wenigs over the past few years. I will go nowhere else due to an incident when I bought my second stock from them. I was quoted a price on the phone for a stock and it seemed fair to me and so I sent the money as quoted for my order. When I received the stock included in the package was a a credit for $27.00 that was accompanied by a short note stating that I was quoted an excess cost and was being compensated for that amount. Honesty when no one knows the difference speaks volumes to me. They are the kind of people I want to do business with and will look no further for my gunstock needs.

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Always the best, I highly reccomend them, beautiful wood too.

Dr.longshot

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Why not just buy a PFS and be done with it. You'll end up there anyway.

20. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

great guy

John the wood matters -- even if they tell you up front that your wood breaking is your problem- they have learned that some people will give them grief that it was their fault

if you want to use your own wood- you do it at your risk and expense--

there are a lot of other stock makers if you dont want to do it their way

there are very few true stock fitters

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.