1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimbob, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Scenario:

Last day of shoot.

Windy weather.

Targets set that morning before shoot.

Management/workers make honest attempt to set targets correctly considering weather.

High targets (very close to but probably not over 12 foot ) on the first two traps.

Good targets on the last two traps. Not too high/ Not too low.

All squads except one, shoot targets as they were set that morning.

The last squad on a certain bank has trap worker follow them to each trap and wait to see if squad members wanted targets re-set.

The target height on the first and second trap was re-set for said squad by the trap worker.

Method used to re-set traps was as follows: said squad members looked at targets as worker lowered height until squad members said "OK, that's where we want them."

No cross bar was used.

No radar gun.

No standard target setting method was used except for the squad members "eye balling" the targets.
    What's your opinion on this? No big deal?

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The traps should have stayed the way they were originally set. No ifs, ands or buts! I've been at shoots where the "big dogs" pulled that same crap in the same way and it doesn't wash with me.

Morgan

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Tarkets should be set by speed and cross bar. No by sight adjustments.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

That happened yesterday at the shoot I was at.

Second last (or thereabouts) squad had "good" shooters and they had targets reset on the last field. I had dropped three birds on that last field - GRRRRRR.

Figured I was toast, but still managed to squeak out a win with a 95 in HCP. Oh well, I was at 22 yd - they were long yardage shooters and needed/demanded "legal" targets.

I have not earned my stripes yet, so I do not bitch about targets. If I complain, it may not be received well by others. Anyway, I need to learn to shoot them all so I don't get worked up about it. But I do feel everyone should shoot the same birds if at all possible - level playing field.

One thing I did learn is to shoot after the "big dogs".

Don

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I was at the Grand this summer and watched the squad in front of me start off in the 100 degree heat. Position 1 and 2 shot, then no. 3 said the targets were to high and called over the line judge. She called the target setting crew and they lowered the birds to #3's approval. They then continued the shoot. 1 & 2 did not get to shoot over.
    I asked the line judge if this was proper and she said they would do anything to make the shooters happy.

6. Hauser

Hauser Member

Regardless of what you think there is nothing illegal about re-setting targets if management agrees.

I dont like the rule that permits this to happen and would like to see it changed so the only time a trap could be re-set was if it was throwing an illegal target.

Right now it's the rule so if you want it changed tell your delegate.

Jerry Hauser

7. Hauser

Hauser Member

Heres the rule. I don't know how long its been in affect.

Should a trap be throwing targets that, although not necessarily
    illegal, appreciably vary from trap to trap, any shooter may request that
    management reset the trap even though prior squads have shot. The
    final decision as to whether or not a trap is to be reset will be made
    only by shoot management.

Jerry Hauser

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

There is a fellow that doe's it quite often in Oregon. The secret is to be able to follow his squad, if you have enough patience. Richard

9. Hauser

Hauser Member

Read the rule again.

It applies to everyone including you and I.

Jerry Hauser

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

What's the problem? ANYONE can ask for the targets to be reset, you don't have to be a bigdog. Targets that are fair and legal in the morning can become illegal and unfair later when the wind kicks up. Unless it's really cooking, one notch up or down will get them back into range without a speed adjustment. However, if there is a big change in temperature, you may want to regun them as well.

11. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Hauser, read the scenario again and then read the rules. Do the rules allow the scenario exactly as stated? You are assuming the management made the decision to re-set the targets. They did not unless it was telepathically. I say "READ THE SCENARIO AGAIN". Make NO assumptions. Give your opinion on the scenario as stated.

12. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

With all due respect to everyones opinion, if I were at a shoot where "set'em and leave'm" was the procedure regardless of changing winds, I would withdraw from the event, and never darken their doorway again. That is until management/procedures changed, or unless the club was hosting the local zone or state shoot, which would leave no choice. Zone/state shoot clubs should honor a request though.

We are in the targeting hitting business, WITHIN a set of rules, not the business of making them extremely difficult to hit. No one wants to go to a club and shoot low 90's singles, or low 80's hdcp and doubles. I don't.

This rule needs to stay in the book;

"Should a trap be throwing targets that, although not necessarily illegal, appreciably vary from trap to trap, any shooter may request that management reset the trap even though prior squads have shot. The final decision as to whether or not a trap is to be reset will be made only by shoot management."

With $50.00 shot, shells climbing in price, high gas prices, etc, a club today needs to throw "the most hittable target it can" within the rules. In my opinion, there is ample flexibility in the rule book to address this. 8 ft to 10 ft.

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

jbmi, I'll have to check the book to be sure, But I believe resetting a trap once the first target has been shot is illegal.

Jim

14. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I agree with Capt Morgan and Hairy, but the shooters should have had no say as to how "they" wanted the targets set.They should have been set according to the book and left that way. Wind, after they are set, is just simply the way the cookie crumbles.....the targets aren't changed everytime somebody wants them to be or because they just don't like 'em. What was done was also very unfair to the first teams.

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

With all due respect to all opinions let me say that any adjustments requested by any member should be made as long as they need to be made.

Which means that they should be sticked for elevation and checked with the Radar gun if one is used at that club if the targets are found to be off then change them if they are on then don't change them. No where in the rule book does it say that targets are to be set or corrected by eye.

Everyone is discussing a rule that has nothing to do with the procedure for setting targets and no where in the rules does it say to ignore the procedure for setting or resetting targets.

Bob Lawless

16. Hauser

Hauser Member

Jim101

No offense but you are incorrect. The rule can be found on page 14 Section G5 of the rule book and was quoted vebatum.

wild bill JP

Yes. They can be re-set at anytime, by anybody, for any reason, as long as shoot management agrees.

They can ask to have them raised or lowered thrown shorter or longer as long as what they ask for doesn't result in an illegal target. As an example they cant ask to have the trap throw a 45 yard target when the minimum is 49yard.

India-3-9

Im not the state delegate. What Im suggesting is you contact your state delegate and tell him or her you don't like the rule and would like to have it changed. Id suggest you include new wording that addresses your concerns.

Jerry Hauser

17. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

If you asked to have them changed and management refused they you have a bitch coming.

If you weren't smart enough to ask for a re-set and they were then the only person you can blame is yourself.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for a trap to be re-set. There is absolutely nothing wrong with management re-setting a trap whenever the want to. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a squad member telling management what adjustments they think should be made. There is absolutely nothing wrong with management listening to the advice from the squad.

Next time you think the targets aren't right try asking politely to have them changed, you might be surprised at the result.

jim brown

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Entirely legal, just as Jerry Hauser said earlier. If the early squads wanted lower targets, they should have asked for them.

Neil

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If the so called "big dogs" had taken the time to observe the targets before going to the line they would know the targets were to high and that they were going to ask to have them reset. Therefore they could ask that a setter stay close because they were going to ask for a reset. Solution: If you would have taken the time and prepared you could have asked for the same thing so quit bitching.

Don

20. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

So, Jerry, you are saying it's ok to stop in the middle of a subevent and reset the targets??? The way it was described in jmbi's post.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.