1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion on what caused the damage ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Seitz231, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

See the pictures below. Looking for what you think was the probable cause ? Nobody was hurt, even broke the bird before this was noticed.

dillin4_2008_03039.jpg

My original note

I bought a LF choke tube from you about a month or so back (invoice # 54073), and used it for the first time at the Autumn Grand in Tucson last week. On the 34 shot in the handicap on the second day, the choke tube fell out of the barrel onto the ground. I looked at the barrel and to my surprise it had burst. I have inclosed some pictures in a .zip file, any ideas what has happened ? The consensus was possible crack or metal fatigue. If infact it was material defect, is there any warranty from your company ?
    Awaiting what your opinion is.

Regards,
    Skip Dillin

Reply from OEM

I can't see the pictures you sent but i'am guessing the choke backed out and the wad or gases got between the barrel and the choke. Darian,

I resent the pictures the same day

What are your thoughts ??

2. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I had a failure like this in my Ruger Gold Label SxS. I suspec that there was a small lip that formed at the fron of the tube opposite from the muzzle. I think shot caught on this and upon firing, ripped the tube from the gun. I had used it for steel shot a few weeks before and that may have had something to do with it.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

More information needed. Who did the choke installation ? Ways there any barrel damage?

I suspect an aftermarket choke install job coupled with an improper fitting tube that allowed the skirt to catch wads that eventually allowed to flair an d peel.

Tom

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dinged up choke tube- it then bent inwards slighly with each shot until it bent completely in and blocked the bore

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You didn't like the answers you got on your original post?

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Most don't like to hear the words "shooter's error". Just accept the fact that you screwed up and it cost you a choke tube and barrel. Just be thankful it didn't cost someone their life.

ss

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

FYI guys i think he mistakenly posted it twice. Give the guy a break.

Bryan

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If it was a duplicate posting, it could have been deleted to avoid the confusion (and in fact, could STILL be deleted to avoid any future confusion).

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

need to know gun type, bore diameter of barrel, id of choke skirt...

right now, my guess would be the gun was backbored, but, a standard size choke installed. the wad caught the edge of the choke, cocked and blew out the side of the barrel.

but, just a guess...

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If he would have been using 8's instead of 7 1/2's it would have never happened.

11. BigM-Perazzi

yep, 7 1/2's are like 3 fat guys trying to go thru the door together...

12. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I had the same thing happen with a thinwall choke. I must admit I had been pretty careless with handling them and had dropped one that got a small flat spot.
    Since all barrels and chokes may differ in size from what is expected, I measure them all. I also check to make sure the barrel ID is larger than the skirt of the choke. You can shine a light in the muzzle and see the difference.
    Some believe the choke comming loose will cause this but I doubt it.
    I have shot many chokes loose and not have one damaged.

13. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Here is the original thread.

Dillin you better delete this thread. The next thing you know someone is going to be asking where you live so they can send someone after you.

14. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

"I also check to make sure the barrel ID is larger"

Sir, I think you mean smaller.

15. BigM-Perazzi

Maybe that was the problem...

16. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Shot between the wad and the bore.

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What I see in the pic are two things. One is an implosion and an explosion. If you look at it some metal is going inward and other parts are blown outward. Strange?

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Very strange. Since it occurred between the porting and the end of the barrel. It looks like a lot of pressure was involved to burst the barrel like that. But having the ports there would reduce the pressure. Maybe it was a powder detonation that caused the damage. HMB

19. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

A piece of choke metal gets grabbed by the wad/shot column passing and leaves a chunk sufficiently exposed to act as an obstruction to the next shell, which creates the blow-out.

Why exactly the edge was exposed in the first place would be likely one of three causes:

Choke hole offset, crooked, not on the same centerline as the bore, allowing one edge to be exposed of an otherwise properly sized choke tube.

Choke actually not made correctly sized (or chosen improperly) for the bore and should be including some modicum of safety clearance for the edge to account for residual distortions (out-of-round, oval or ?), dirt/crud holding the tube to one side of a loose hole (somewhat larger than the tube diameter at that point - I have seen some "custom" big-name holes with side clearance of the main body of the tube to hole at least .005" in choke hole/tubes provided with the job, not ordered later)

Unintentional damage of the tube edge whether by maker or buyer or shipper, as the case may be.

Kirby

20. Habib

Habib Member

Think back dillin4 , ever drop that choke onto concrete ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.