1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion of SR7625

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Jack, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I inherited about three pounds of SR7625 and it has sat on the shelf for about a year. Out of curiosity, I loaded a few test rounds, Gun Club Case, Fiocci primer, 24.5 Gr. powder, Windjammer wad, Hard 7 1/2's, just under 1230 on the crono. Couldn't believe the great breaks from the 27. Very few pieces, lots of smoke! How many of you use this well kept, though rather expensive secret.

Big Jack

2. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

I tried it once a few years back when PB was not available. It's a great powder and patterned tighter than I had expected, probably due to the reduced pressure. If you liked it try PB for about the same price and can drop 2-3 grains and get the same velocity, with only slightly higher pressure.

Jeff

3. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

It's all I use in my 20 ga skeet loads. Love it.

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Best powder I ever used on caps! Very clean at 1200 fps and best metering powder I have ever used including the Winchester ball powders! Expensive but everything is relative compared to the price of shot! Tom Rhoads

5. FranzSodia

FranzSodia TS Member

Another good use of 7625 is for back up loads when playing long shooting games with ounce and a quarter loads. It performs much like 4756. John E.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use it in 7/8's, 16 yard loads. No recoil, smokes targets.

7. shot410ga

That's right, contary to popular threads. 7625 works great in light loads at around 1150fps. Once again, there is no recoil.

8. tp

tp TS Member

Wanker, take a deep breath. I tried several 7/8 oz. loads looking for reduced recoil due to a neck problem. I settled on the following load, which is on IMR's web site:

STS hull, WAA12SL wad (I used a Green Duster wad, which is a direct replacement), Fed. 209A primer, 20.5gr. SR7625 powder. IMR's loas data says this is 1,150fps and 5,700PSI. Patterns look good on paper and better on the targets and shoulder. I have shot approx. 4 flats of these so far in my Kolar and Beretta 390 with ZERO bloopers ,ZERO failures to cycle, and ZERO indications of ignition problems.

These were shot in fairly mild to warm temps, high 40s to mid 70s.

9. larryjk

larryjk Member

I have used SR7625 in handicap loads and really got good results. If you shoot a revolver with cast bullets, you can't find a better powder for consistent velocity, low SD, and low extreme spread. I shoot cast, plain base bullets out of the 41 Mag, 44 Mag and 45 Colt using SR7625. Kep the velocity about 1050 to avoid leading and have some real enjoyable shooting.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My experience: Dirty, pressure too low with resulting inconsistency of speed.

That said, you can get a 1 & 1/8 ounce load to go 1450 or so and kill mallards like a laser beam.

HM

11. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I ended up with several pounds of 7625 when a local sporting goods store closed out some of their powders. I have a friend who loves it so I tried the powder in cast bullet loads and some trap loads. In my experience I found that I prefer Clays in both applications. Clays seems to burn cleaner. 7625 shot ok and patterned well, but not better than Clays so I am selling the 7625 to the friend that loves it at a good price and buying more Clays.

12. shot410ga

The Kissable Wanker: Here is the load 7/8's 8.5's, Rem 1oz green wad. STS hull, Win. 209, & 22.5 grs. of 7625, IM choke. Don't run your mouth until you try the load. I tried it because of "head lifting" and it works. I suspect you will change your mind if you try it. If one is very recoil sensitive this load will surprise you.

13. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I used it a lot in the late 70s. Dirty..., Yes. Worked best with a hot primer like Federal. Real popular at my local club then. Gerald

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

SR7625 and the old Red Versalite wad accounted for MANY smoked handicap targets some years back. It was a little more expensive than some other powders, but it worked just fine, right down to some sub-zero temps. Worked real well in some game loads too, back when you could use lead on waterfowl.

15. shot410ga

The Kissable Wanker: That's the idea "dummy" Lower the PSI, reduce the shot weight, and ERGO; less recoil. OH! it's a sissy load to be sure. Well, maybe I'm a sissy. Can't seem to keep my head down. I remember shooting 1 1/8 7.5's using 19.5 grains of 700x, 30 years ago. Maybe that's why I shoot the sissy loads today, wacked my brain to much. To each his own, it works for me. And I don't care if anyone else tries it or not, but it's in the IMR manual.

16. shadow

shadow Active Member

7625 takes up too darn much room in the hull for my 1 1/2oz 16 yard target loads.

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

C'mon Shadow..Use a Uniwad with the red insert removed..it'll fit.
    As a disclaimer: Kids, don't try this at home!

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.