1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion of custom FIT stocks

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Alamo, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alamo

Alamo Member

Am considering a custom fit stock. I would like to know whether one has
    helped your shooting enough to recommend one. Would like to find someone who
    fits a stock rather than just turns out a beautiful stock. Looks are
    important too but, are secondary to fit. Would also appreciate tips on how to
    correctly judge a stock blank as to strength and looks. From asking around
    with other shooters it appears that DeVault and Kolar do the best job of
    fitting. Thanks

2. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Dennis Devault did mine three years ago and I love it. Fit is everything. One tip: Don't get a stock custom made unless you've been shooting for awhile and KNOW that you are into your stock right when mounting. When I first started shooting, I went to Wenig. I wasn't into my stock well enough at that time. The stock never fit right. It was my fault, not Wenig's.

3. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

must be something wrong with me, a factory remington 1100 or 870 right out of the box is a perfect fit.

4. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I went through 30 years of 870s, 1100s, and BT99 with factory stocks. I could shoot them but running 100 stright was rare. Last February I had Kolar make me a T/S with a custom stock. It took them about 3 hours to figure out the right dimensions. Now my gun fits and it shoots where I look. 100 straights are common and when I miss I can tell what I did wrong. I should of had a custom stock made years ago. Its the only way to go if you are trap shooting.

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

FlakeTM is right. You have to know what you need for POI and you have to be consistant enough to let the Fitter actually fit you. I've said it many times, inconsistancy is a stockmaker's nightmare.

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Of all the money I've spent, the extra $500 for a custom stock when I bought my Kolar combo was the best money I've spent. I've only had that one custom stock made, but it would take a lot of convincing that someone could do a better job than Jeff at Kolar did.

Scot

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

custom stocks are great and beautiful, As long as you can afford the custom $$ tag . If on a budget a PFS is a great way to go. Also can be moved to several other guns if and when the GUN part is in need of updating or change. I do agree with many above If I had a custom made just last year? my shooting style stance and mount have changed alot since.....might have been a waste

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I think a fit stock is a plus to a shooter, but don't discount gun mount as a more important aspect of your shooting. A custom fit stock only works when the gun finds ths same place in the shoulder pcoket evry shot.

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Another vote for Dennis DeVault. I am amazed what this man knows about getting the gun to fit you. I had mine made out of bubinga wood. EXTREMELY hard.

10. turmite

turmite Member

When you guys are talking about custom fit stocks, are you referring to custom stocks with adjustable combs and butts, or stocks that are shaped to fit the individual shooter with proper cast, drop, pitch, lop and comb?

Could someone or point me in the correct direction for a 12 year old just starting out? I rebuilt his factory stock to fit, but with him growing that isn't going to last too long. Which would be the better way to go for the next stock? Adjustable or fit?

Mike

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Mike,

I have a 14 yr old son that shoots a LOT (international trap). When we finally got done with gun progression and put him into a Perazzi he was in the midst of a growth spurt that put inches on him in a hurry. I was chasing the gun fit ALL the time so finally we went the route of a PFS. He has been shooting it about 7-8 months now and he loves it. We can make any adjustment we need to the stock to ensure that the mount, fit and sight picture are EXACTLY the same as his body changes. Seems to be about every other month we need to make a minor adjustment and usually it is in LOP and the comb, takes all of a few minutes and we're done. take it on down to the grease board to confirm POI is the same and we're off shooting again.

It is a plus that he now knows what he is supposed to see when he looks down the gun. He also wears a custom vest and he can get the gun mounted into the SAME place each and every time.

If I was king for a day I would make PFS mandatory on all youth guns.

The fact that there is no recoil is a bonus. The real benefit is having a stock that fits and is adjustable as your kid grows.

Someday he wants a custom fit wood stock - but not until he's done growing. Maybe I should buy the wood now!!

Look into a PFS stock for your kid - it might look goofy but it works.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I guess I am lucky. My K-80 with adj comb fits me well.

For those who NEED a custom stock because adj combs, LOP and such do not work should realize that high buck stock is worthless if you sell the gun to someone the stock does not fit.

The PFS might be the ticket. It can be made to fit about ANYONE.

13. turmite

turmite Member

ffwildcat it seems the PFS is only available for o/u type guns, and the price is not something my daughter is likely to shell out for on a $375 gun! I think I will try the adjustable route for him on his next stock and see how that works.
    Mike

14. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Usually, the strongest wood is the least figured. Wenig custom fitted the stock on my Alfermann 9 years ago and it worked beautifully. In the interim, I have changed physically. The stock still fits with the exception of POI. I'm seeing about 1/8 inch gap between the front and middle bead now due to a fuller face, which caused a slightly higher POI. I like the idea of the Precision Fit Stock, except for the grip which feels like a club and the whole thing is b-tt ugly.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.