1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Most Difficult 100 Straight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Breaking 100 straight is never easy for some of us, however, some events can be tougher than others. Now and then one will come along that is the event from HELL. Every negative thing that CAN happen DOES happen and many times it’s during a big shoot.

The trap machine breaks, your rib falls off, the puller/scorer starts to cry (for whatever reason) and suddenly your bowels turn to water! Many of you shooters know what I mean.

Has it happened to you??

BB

2. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

1st one is the hardest, Mine came on a perfect day , on the last post

my voice sounded like I was going through puberty again, That still

may be problem

j park

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm still battling that 100 straight burden. I can't get over that 99 hump. Have shot my fair share of 99's in the few years i've been shooting registered birds. Still haven't got the almighty 100. Thank goodness i have not dropped the last bird to end up with 99. I believe i would fall down right on the Trap field and cry if that happened. :)

Matt

4. BMC

BMC Member

The first one. The rest either happen or they don't, not nearly as stressful. Usually they happen when I'm in a good mood and just relaxed and having a good time anyways. The harder I try, the more likely I will fail.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The puller wasn't wearing any panties

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

distraction?

7. The Stive

The Stive Member

Yep. The first one. Enough said. John

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The most difficult by far was at the Va. homegrounds...shooting with Curvy and Guy Babin in a driving rain..you could see the shot going to the target..but you could barely see the target..unbelievable how the sky opened up thunderstorm style and did it the whole program ..sheesh I wish I would have just watched the rest of them from the golf cart

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The first one! No negatives, just had a good day.

10. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

1992 (I think) in the tail of hurricane Andrew that blew up the coast. Landed in Central NY on a Sunday. Worst targets I have ever shot. My goal for the day was just to stay in the 90s. To this day, I still have no idea how I ran'em.

11. rsikole

rsikole Member

Still trying for my first one. 7 99's with 5 different guns....including missing my 100th target once and 98th target once. On 6 of the 7 99's, I dropped a bird on the last trap. It'll come this year......

12. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

The first one was the hardest. I was one of the poor souls who choked on the 100th bird before I got the job done on the next weekend. I was so sick I wanted to throw up. Now 199's make me ill.

Rich in Indiana

13. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

The 1st one was easy. I had no clue what I was doing. It was the 1st 100 at a local state shoot. I was in B class and when I started thinking, let's say 189 was a good 200 score for me at that time. The hardest is my next one. I just got a new K-80 combo and I hope to do it justice. Good luck and god bless. Al Baker

14. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

My first one was Hcp. no less, was shaking like hell on those last five targets. My next one came in a Singles Marathon, my 3rd 100 went straight. That was a "hot" day for me, shot a 490/500 and shortly after that I really seemed to loose interest in general. Now I just sometimes shoot with some close friends for fun and that is fine with me, no registered in around four years now I believe.

15. Seitz373

Seitz373 Member

My toughest one, because of pressure, was in the singles class championship at the grand. It was my first one at the grand and the whole time I knew I had to run them, and I did end up in the shootoffs with 199.

16. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

The most interesting for me was my one (and only) 100 straight in doubles.

I shot post five on a five man squad using reloads. It was uneventful until I grabbed the last two bullets for the final pair. It was obvious one of them had a cocked wad.

I remember thinking, "why me and why now", immediately followed by, "ok, you're officially distracted so this would be a PERFECT opportunity to f'up a good score".

Since the rest of the squad was finished, I paused a few extra seconds to get my head back in the game. Casually and deliberately I stuffed the bad bullet in a back pocket, pulled out a spare, inspected the spare, and mashed the last two targets.

I didn't know until I walked off the line that several of my unsavory associates knew I was straight going in to the last post and were watching to see how I finished.

I spent the next half hour answering one question. "WTF were you DOING out there?"

It was fun but weird. What are the odds of being 98 straight and finding a bad bullet on the last pair??

sissy

17. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

The one I have not shot yet...

18. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

In order mine were;

singles

doubles

handicap

Tom Strunk

19. tallengnr

tallengnr TS Member

My first and the hardest 100 straight in competition was in the Singles competition at the California State Shoot. It was hot...really hot...I had shot the first 75 clean, and it's a fast shooting squad and we've found our rhythm and we're all shooting well. Arriving at the fourth trap my friends didn't even talk to me because they knew it might be my first 100 and I was close. Fourth trap starts....hammering targets like nobodies business....I'm almost outside of myself watching me shoot...it's just my eyes, my hands and my gun...I don't even notice that I'm reloading, it just happens.

I'm on post 4, and the 96'th target vaporizes. My turn again, I mount the gun and call pull for 97....nothing...arggg....mount the gun again and call pull....nothing.....put the gun down and yell into the microphone, target leaps out. Mount the gun and call pull....nothing.....settle down....start over.

Mount the gun, call pull real loud and the target zips out and is a illegal hard right, it's so low I almost didn't see it, screaming about 2 feet off the ground...my brain says "DON'T!!!" but my body is on auto-pilot and I give chase and pull the trigger...target 97 vaporizes into smoke about 6 inches off the ground...whew!

98th target...again, no target comes out...yelling, screaming, begging and swearing into the microphone ....ok...all that concentration I've built up is now out the window....PPUULLLLL#$%@#!!!!....another hard right...BOOM...smoke.

99th target...hard right...BOOM...smoke

100th..ok...don't think, just shoot.....it's gonna give you a hard right again....DONT THINK...hard right...DONT THINK!!!!....right....SHUT UP!!!...."Pull!!"....perfect straight away...it's just hanging there as big as a trash can lid saying "shoot me"..index finger jerks, gun bucks and the target disappears...what a relief!!

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The second one's the most difficult.

The first one was easy, still working on the 2nd one.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.