1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Kids and School. GUN's, NRA Hunting and Shoot

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Your Kids and School. GUN

As parents or Grandparents with kids in your family what do you do and tell them about what to do in school about guns, hunting, NRA and shooting? Do you let them wear NRA shirts or talk about guns and shooting? How do you handle things?

2. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

How do you handle it?

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We live in a rural area so there are still a couple living brain cells in the schools here

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Never even considered sending them to "government" school.

If we didn't have access to a private school, we home schooled them!!!!

It a parents responsibility to educate their children, Not some union thug or government indoctrinated, certified buffoon!

The "Bad" teachers and Administration personals OUT NUMBER the good!! And they enjoy the "Protectionism" of their unions!!

To you parents who send your kids to the wolves, put a mean nasty lawyer on retainer!!!

We still have a Constitution and Rights!

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Nothing to address specifically. Mine is also a rural area and of course firearms and hunting etc. are popular subjects with most young people.

There is a zero tolerance policy on having firearms and/or ammunition on school grounds so we make sure there are no stray .22 rounds in the pocket or day pack from the week end.

No problem wearing a garment with NRA stuff on it as long as it doesn't violate the dress code for other reasons. No tank tops or muscle Ts for example.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My kid's grade school taught the NRA's Eddie Eagle program.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I remember bring to History class my great Grandfathers Civil War Sharps rifle. No problem. In High School I would have a rifle and shotgun in the car to hunt after school. If you looked in my car window you could see casings and ammo at times. No one said a word.

8. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

My Grandson told the County Sheriff's Deputy on bike and gun safety day that he had not only seen "a real gun" when asked, but "shoots his .22 all the time" and has even shot a "44 magnet". The Sheriff and the teacher thought it was funny, especially coming from a 5 year old! Thank God he doesn't go to school in CA, IL, or NY or I'd be in prison. - A Proud Grandpa

9. tachyon

tachyon Member

I teach in an all girls school. Every year we have a hunter safety class held at the school. This year there were 41 students enrolled (3 instructors). More than 10% of the student body has shot trap and this year we had more than 40 students (enrollment about 650) on the trap team. Girls can letter in trap and they wear their trap shirts on spirit days. Results are carried over the announcements, in our school paper and we have a section in the yearbook.

Many of the schools in Nebraska recognize trap as a letter sport. We had 2,400 at our state meet this year.

10. Rkoetting

Rkoetting Member

Here in far northern California, things are a little different than the rest of Kalifornia. My daughter, in 7th grade, shoots league with a bunch of high school kids (yeah, I'm watching...) with a team name of the "No Fly Zone." She wears her team t-shirt at least one day a week, and has gotten nothing but positive comments and questions about it, despite it showing an outline of a shooter mounting a shotgun and shooting a breaking clay.

She also had approval, and ended up winning her science fair project this year with a shooting related theme. Her display was entitled "Kinetic Energy - Who's the Winner?" The top of the exhibit showed photos of her shooting a Colt AR-15, a Glock 19, a Walther P-22, and a Ruger 10-22. Her project was shooting each of these guns through stacked layers of 1/2 inch drywall and measuring the numbers of layers each bullet penetrated. Then she shot each round through a chronograph and calculated the kinetic energy of each bullet at impact with the layers of drywall. Finally she did correlation calculations to determine if kinetic energy directly correlated to depth of penetration. Great exhibit and a hell of a lot of work. Part of the project was standing with her exhibit and answering questions all evening. Most of the parents were asking her advice on home protection weapons, and I will tell you that her answers had a hell of a lot more common sense and science then anything Joe Biden would recommend! (She is quite the fan of the AR-15, but will take a Glock 19 as an alternative, just to give her time to get to a long gun...)

Her teachers, the school administration, and the other students and parents have been nothing but supportive. I am glad we have her in this school versus anything in a big city...