1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Help ( Opinion ) on this Ebay transaction

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WarEagle2017, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Here is the Question: I am pretty sure this is a SCAM but I dont know how the seller can send me the following info and have it work for Him ????? I replied to an add for a ATV that was listed on another site ( I don't care to mention the site at this time, but it had a ATv listed for about 1/3 of the book value for that ATV, when I told the seller ( by email ) that I would buy it and to send me the details here is what he sent (((((Hello again,
    I'm glad to see that you are still interested. The ATV is in Chester, MT. In order to ensure a smooth and fast transaction, I suggest that we use eBay to handle the exchange. Here's how it works: You will make a $2,600 deposit to eBay, they will hold it in a non interest bearing trust fund (not release it to me). As soon as they receive the deposit from you and confirm it, I will ship the atv over. The shipping will be covered by me. It will arrive in max 5 days and you will have a 7 days inspection and test drive trial to make sure that it really is as advertised. You can check and inspect it without any obligation to buy. Just to make things clear, I will not Have access to the payment until you have received, inspected and approved the atv. I think this is more than fair for the both of us. I can be sure that you are serious about buying and that you do have the funds and you will get to inspect and drive it before I get paid. Should you find that the atv is not what you have agreed upon, you may send it back within 7 days of receipt for a full refund of your money, no questions asked! I agreed to this because I'm sure you will love it. If you agree to the terms and wish to buy, please reply with your full name and shipping address and I will open the transaction immediately. Afterwards, eBay will invoice you the transaction details and payment instructions. All you will need to do is wait for the invoice and follow the instructions in there.
    Thank you !

I replied to him with the following (((((Hi Kevin sounds like a good deal, i may even have a better one for you where you can save on the shipping, My Grandaughter just married a man from Great Falls MT. He is in the Marines and is stationed here in Maryland, they will be leaving here ( Maryland ) to visit with His parents in Great Falls, it just happens that he will be bringing back a Suzuki Atv that is His and has been stored at His Parents Home, I would then give him a chashiers check for the full amount which He can cash there and give you Cash Money for the Polaris and that way he can bring it back to MD. along with His, He said that it would be no problem for him because he has a 16' Utility Trailer ( as a matter of fact it would even out the load, all you would have to do is give Him a time and a place to pick it up.
    He then came back to me with the following ( which is a exact copy of His first reply ) Now keep in mind that He never asked me where I live ( Daaaaa ???? )
    (((((((
    Hello again,
    I'm glad to see that you are still interested. The ATV is in Chester, MT. In order to ensure a smooth and fast transaction, I suggest that we use eBay to handle the exchange. Here's how it works: You will make a $2,600 deposit to eBay, they will hold it in a non interest bearing trust fund (not release it to me). As soon as they receive the deposit from you and confirm it, I will ship the atv over. The shipping will be covered by me. It will arrive in max 5 days and you will have a 7 days inspection and test drive trial to make sure that it really is as advertised. You can check and inspect it without any obligation to buy. Just to make things clear, I will not Have access to the payment until you have received, inspected and approved the atv. I think this is more than fair for the both of us. I can be sure that you are serious about buying and that you do have the funds and you will get to inspect and drive it before I get paid. Should you find that the atv is not what you have agreed upon, you may send it back within 7 days of receipt for a full refund of your money, no questions asked! I agreed to this because I'm sure you will love it. If you agree to the terms and wish to buy, please reply with your full name and shipping address and I will open the transaction immediately. Afterwards, eBay will invoice you the transaction details and payment instructions. All you will need to do is wait for the invoice and follow the instructions in there.
    Thank you !

Now what do you guys think ????????? also I have checked and he had the add Flagged from a Chicago site and he also had it posted at a Baltimore and a New York City site.

Opinions appreciated ..

2. Gabe

Gabe Member

Sounds like a scam to me. Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I'd run from this one.

3. wannaz

wannaz Member

Do what you want, but I'd steer as far a way from this deal as I could. Did you ever ask for a phone number to contact him? I'm asssuming this came from CL site, it is full of scammers. They usually get a little funny sounding when you tell them you will meet them to do a face to face deal. This has scam written all over it.

4. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Anyone who turns full cash payment down and can also save shipping cost has to be operating a scam. If I were selling anything and the buyer offered to come to my house ,pay cash ,and save me shipping, would be a no brainer. JMO

5. WarEagle2017

Exactaly My thoughts hoosier, but I cant figure out how He can make that Ebay transaction work for Him....

6. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Yep, just another scam. Ebay does not have storage or shipping facioities. It sounds like it came off of Craigs list which has had a lot of these in the past. I just flag them.
    Dan

7. WarEagle2017

Ok 100straight I think that you have it right, Like we Polocks say """ I ani't as DUMB as I Look """ the email that I sent him that stated that I have a Grand daughter that just got married to a man in the Marines, was Bull crap also I looked up a town near the one that the seller ( or scammer ) said He was from and made up the story about him comming there to pick it up for cash, like the above post said that was a No Brainer if He didn't go for that deal, I am going to see if I can find the add and post it here for others
    Here it is --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: sale-708845028@craigslist.org
    Date: 2008-06-05, 2:50PM EDT

Mint condition!! 2002 Polaris Ranger 6x6 6 wheel UTV 4x4.500cc 4 Stroke Gas Engine, Automatic PVT (Polaris Variable Transmission)
    with High / Low Range and Reverse, Electric Start with Recoil Backup, Push Button Shift 4 Wheel Drive or 6 Wheel
    Drive, Electric Lift For Dump Bed, Head Lights with High and Low Beam, Brake Lights, Seat Belts, Hydraulic Disc
    Brakes, 12v Power Outlet, Winch Mount Bumper with Brush Gaurd. Has an extra battery for a winch with quick connect
    plug on front bumper. The Ranger Only Has 279 hours Always Been Dealer Serviced It Starts and Runs Great and is
    Ready To Go To Work.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 708845028

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2008 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

8. WarEagle2017

<a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=Polaris4.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=Polaris3.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=Polaris2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=Polaris1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

It is a scam. This happens a lot on craigslist.

10. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

It is a scam. The very first sentence gave it away. All the ebay scams start the same way after you have contacted them once. "Hello again, I'm glad to see that you are still interested."

11. spritc

spritc Active Member

I agree it looks to be a scam.

Steve

12. shooter49

shooter49 Member

100% scam. Ebay does not hold a deposit for anybody! Ebay does not handle the money. They do indirectly through pay-pal.

Stay away

shooter49

13. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Sounds like a perfectly legitimate deal and please let us all know how much you like it when your son-in-law brings it back with him.

14. skip

skip Member

Doesn’t pass the stink test here!

Want to buy some 27 yard trap grease?

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Nah I still have some of the Kentucky Grease used for the 26 yard line ... or at least I thinks its Kentucky Grease, it says KY Lubricant or something like that on the tube.

16. WarEagle2017

MR. Newbius you must be a Skeet shooter thay use that KY a lot.. LOL

17. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

First of all, the pictures are of a Ranger made before 2002 as they say it is in the description, I'm pretty sure they had bench seats in them in 2002. Then as others have said, Ebay doesn't handle any money whatsoever, they just handle the money that comes directly to them, for fees etc. I would steer clear. Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.