1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your guns or your meds...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timberfaller, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

It on other site's, Florida pasted a law forbidding doctors from asking if you own a "gun"!

The Brady(anti-American)group is filing a law suit to over turn it, based on that it violates the doctors first amendment rights!!!!

Go figure, The Brady's concerned about YOUR rights !!! Fat chance!

2. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

The "Brady" folks are concerned about THEIR rights...at least as they see them...they couldn't care less about YOUR'S.

They feel like they have a RIGHT to "interpret" the Constitution to suit their extreme agenda, and you have the "right" to agree with them.

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Seems like the easiest solution would have been to just answer "no" to the question.

But then I guess that would have been beating some lawyers out of a potential lawsuit...

Kiv

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Anyone can ask anything. That does not obligate anyone to answer the question. The exception is in a court of law, where you must answer under oath or use your rights under the fifth armament.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

No issues here. Never been asked but my back surgeon is a hunter and my family physician knows i shoot. He is always asking about my scores. If a doc asked me i'd leave. End of story. Too many good docs out there that don't need to play political games with their patients.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Lol!

My cardiologist always asks how well That I am shooting and my orthopedist asks shooting advice.

And ........... I live in Commifornia!

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The doctors claim they have a first amendment "right to KNOW" if there are guns in homes with children. Where does such a "right" come from? Certainly not the U.S. Constitution!

Doctors (or anyone else) do have a first amendment right to ASK just as you have a constitutional right to privacy and can legally and properly tell them to "screw off"!

8. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I agree with Birdogs with one addition. The doctors don't have a "right" to know anything, but obviously they can ask anything. You can answer everything or nothing. Based upon the quality of the physician/patient relationship that then ensues, unless it is an emergency...the doctor has no obligation to treat a patient. The physican does have an obligation not to abandon them...which means you advise them to seek another doctor that would be a better fit. If the physician does this over politics or gun rights...well that's just pathetic, but not illegal.

Speaking as a physician, one who shoots and has small children and have guns in my house as a result, I would not be offended or surprised if a doctor asked me, with regard to my kids if there were guns in the house any more than I would be offended if they asked me if I have childproofed my outlets, stairs, etc, or what I feed my kids, do they exercise, etc etc.

If based upon my decision to answer said questions the physician chose to discharge me from their practice based upon their political bias....well, it's a free marketplace and I will be better off with someone else.

Generally speaking, when legislators pass laws that directly get between the physician and patient, the only one who usually suffers is the patient.

Dan

9. shark1

shark1 Member

This question is asked in most Peds. Clinics nation wide (DE). My reply for my children was "No one needs to know". This is the same thing as asking political party affiliation, or "who did you vote for". Protected rights. We need my sister the published SECOND AMMENDMENT ATTORNEY (PRO GUN), for the correct and actual language and terms. Michael Sharkey, DC PS, Teach a kid to shoot and promote gun ownership.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As an insurance broker... I counsel clients, relatives and friends to be VERY cautious in disclosing information during the course of an examination. What ever you offer can be included in a medical record, whether or not its central to the issue at hand. Also, I encourage everyone to audit their patient record to see what is actually in there.

PAs and MDs/DOs interpret comments from "their" perspectives. Sometimes those interpretations are incorrect and can lead to devastating results.

I had one gentleman who made casual comments about his social drinking and the PA made "alcoholic" comments in his chart. When you apply for life insurance and the doctor receives an APS and sends everything... guess what happens?!

I had a dependent male child of a client who was bit "heavy" and had fatty deposits in and around his chest wall and the pedatrician diagnosed him with "gynecomastia"; which is an excessive development of breast tissue...

Issues involving "counseling" can be especially impacting...

Be "particular" in your discussions... share what is germane, but be cautious otherwise...

respectfully offered,

Jay

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I would look at the doc and ask "How does that help you with my health? How does that affect my health? I'm sorry but what does that have to do with my visit here?"

To me that like asking how much money do you make? HEY that is none of his business.

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I like the sound of "the fifth armament".

The first amendment gets so twisted, doesn't anyone know what the bill of rights is all about?

13. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

LOOOOOONG CASTTTTTTTT.
    Hmmm just curious aren't the Brady's republican. I think that was Uncle Ronnie's press secretary..I may be wrong though but probably not. Isn't that strange an anti gun rights republican who would have thought that? Wow they're everywhere!

Regards, Joe

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Around here the Docs don't need to ask the question ... they realize that just about every house has a gun or two.

Seriously though, I have never had a MD ask me if I owned firearms. Closest thing was when I was telling my Doc about the fall I took when rooster hunting and he asked me if the shotgun was as busted up as my knee. (fortunately it wasn't)

I don't think the question should be off limits for an MD as there may be conditions such as mental instability which factor into the need to ask.

15. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

JoeE1
    The sad truth is that most all politicians are basically cut from the same mold. They have all lost focus on the part they are elected to play. To take the people that they represent voice to the floor. Not to have their own opinion and views dictate policy. Or to be twisted by special interest groups and lobbyist to vote for personal gain. Each and everyone of them take an oath of office to uphold the Constitution of the USA. Unfortunately most each and everyone discuss and vote on legislation throughout their term to change that document.
    For the record neither Democrat or Republican.

regards, Joe

16. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

This is an interesting post. I, too, live in California. About 6 weeks ago, I was rear ended on my motorcycle as I was slowing for a turn. My injuries are serious. I have a broken back and right leg. I was transported to the closest trauma hospital(Fresno). As I was laying in the emergency room, the doc was asking the usual questions...pain level, can you move your legs and feet, any feeling in your feet, what hurts, the usual stuff of triage. What came next was " do you drink, use street drugs, have you ever been arrested for domestic violence, child abuse, do you own firearms?" I was shocked at the turn the line of questioning took.
    What the heck was that all about? I was strapped to a backboard and I couldn't walk, or I would have. By the way...the answer was no, no, no, no, none of your business.

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

22hornet--Damn man. Sounds like your lucky to be alive. Thats some serious enough injuries the way it is. Good luck with your recovery. I can feel for ya in the back area. Its no fun and your gonna have a long road. Take care of yourself and get strong.--Matt

18. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

What next? Plumbers and Electricians have the "right" to ask if you have guns in the house, and refuse to come to your house to make repairs? Ridiculous!!...Bill

19. djldb6

djldb6 Member

22Hornet: As a physician, here is how those questions have been explained to me by the hospital corporate wonks.

They are actually part of the new health care structure's pay for performance piece in combination with physicians and hospitals being forced to switch over to electronic health records. In fact, my wife was asked the same questions at a recent appointment.

Basically, doctors used to focus their questions to the pertinent points related to the patient's specific situation. Now, it has been determined that certain questions need to be asked to demonstrate meaningful use of the electronic health record and to meet the minimum metrics the government has set in place to try to recapture the chunk of money that is being withheld from hospitals under the auspices of quality improvement (pay for performance).

Third party insurance companies are directly copying the government reimbursement system so everyone is getting asked the same questions, determined to be important by some non-clinician somewhere, in the hopes that their metrics measure up to everyone elses so they can get some of their money back that used to be paid for taking care of the patient instead of torquing the electronic records.

It is only going to get worse.

Dan

20. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

It is none of the goverments business or my doctors business.

It is gonna get worse.

Then America will wake up, although a little to late.

Less than 300 years.... and look at the mess they have made out of the USA.

I love my Country, I have total distain for my government.

Kenny U

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.