1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your FIRST shotgun.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by M-16, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M-16

M-16 TS Member

My dad would of kicked my a## too, but was to thrifty he would of kept the gun for him self. Dumb question did you ever do it again?

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

JC Higgins Pump, full choke. Still got it. Shoots damn good too. Never did anything stupid with a gun but did drop a grenade at my feet with the pin pulled. Luckly due to quick thinking on my buddies part it was kicked in a hole. Couldn't hear for a week. Hell 35 years later and still can't. Whats that you said? Jake

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My first shotgun was a Sears (Winchester) single barrel 30" full chokes ordered straight from the catalog. My first Trap gun was a 870TB that probably already had 1000 flats down the pipe...affectionately known as "Rattlin' Death"

4. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Remington 1100 LT20 skeet -- was Christmas of 1979 and still have it although not too many rounds have passed through it. Very nice little gun.

5. m70win

m70win Member

ZZZ I mean no offence to you or your Dad, but that is THE worst story about teaching a youngster to shoot I have ever heard.

Tim

6. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

First shotgun an H&R Topper 148, it's my first rifle to, 20 ga with 30-30 barrel. When I was born, my dad was so happy he ran out and got a gun to give HIS boy, for Christmass. I was all of ten days old that Christmass! Still have I have added a couple more barrels to the set, my 14yo son shot it for his first time about a year ago, said cool gun can I have it?

The first and best lesson I got in keeping a gun pointed down range, I was 9 or 10 y o, we were hunting a ranch that I practically grew up on. A family friend want to shoot at some of the doves everybody was shooting at. So the rancher loaned her an old SXS 20, told her every now and then you pull the trigger and nothing happens, when it does just stand there we will come to you. Will from were my dad had taken me, we heard a shot gun go off with a really werid echo, my dad said all right unload and wait for me to come back. Will the lady had pulled the trigger, nothing had happened so she turned to ask for help, the guys that were watchingher bailed off the tail gate of truck, the spare tire took a load of bird shot, that was the werid echo! If she had waited for them to come to her the gun would have gone off harmlesssly into the air!

Now maybe they should not have let a rank beginner, shoot a gun that hang fires! but 8 to 10 kids got a really shocking lesson in why to keep a gun pointed down range that day! no harm no foul, will two fully loaded sets of drawers were pretty FOUL, but no one was hurt!

Well anyway I was shooting that very first shotgun I ever got that day and yes I still have it!

Al

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Those accidents you descibe are precisely the reason that when I'm training a novice that I slip several "dummy" rounds into the gun...not only to embed proper handling in just such situations but to flush out flinching problems

8. trappug

trappug TS Member

My first shotgun was a mossberg A500 feild gun,Which i still have today.This gun was bought for me for christmas,back in the late 70's.And i tell you what,I can shoot that gun as good as my beretta combo set,Though I would never let any body see me shoot it,Because of the harrassment I would probably get. By the way,I have tried,and cant give that gun away.Dave

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Stevens .410 bolt action with box magazine. Still have it. First trap gun Remington 870 TB Trap, also still have it.

10. Pukey Stagg

Pukey Stagg TS Member

Zuuip (what a dumb name), Your old man sounds like a mean sucker!

Pukey

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I still have it. A bolt action Stevens .410, 3", choked full, which was also my dad's first shotgun. Dates to the early to mid 1930's. He was a crack shot with it, and used it for pheasants in North Dakota. He was given two shells, and if he didn't come back with two birds or rabbits, he got one shell the next time. I could never hit an aerial target with it. I used it like a rifle for rabbits.

12. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

My first was a S & W 1000. I was 13, and my neighbor had to buy it for me. Should have never sold it. But, I could get 24's all day every day with it. Could never get a 25. Steve

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Mossberg 500 Pump 12 ga. paid $69.00 for it.

14. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

My first shotgun was a Sterlingworth 12ga. I paid $50.00 for it from the guy across the street and he let me pay on it for three months. I still have it.
    My first rifle came way before that a Mod 67 Win for 6 1/2 books of S&H green stamps I collected for delivering groceries. My nephews have it.
    Go Well
    Wayne

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

CZ Brno 12 ga. true sidelock SXS....when they were still made in Czechoslovakia (not Turkey)....C$450 back in 1973...hell of a deal!!...wish I still had it...

16. k80jim

k80jim Member

I still have my first. I saved money from my paper route. Ted Williams 1200 with Adjustable Choke. I have bought and sold maybe 30 shotguns. Not sure why I still have this thing. It ain't worth much of anything but I still got it. I guess because I have had it this long, I might as well keep it and past it along to the grandkids. I also had the first 22 rifle I got. A hand me down from my brother. A Hawthorne bolt rifle. Now I would never sell that Ted Williams but might trade it for another K80 or maybe a Kolar if anybody is interested. Ha Ha.

Jim

17. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Rem 870 Wingmaster 12 ga. 1980 manufacture. Was my 14th Birthday present.

Still have it. Still shoot about 50 - 100 shells per year with it.

Shot my first pheasant with it when I was 14. Won my first ATA trophies as a sub junior with it. Never got 100 straight with that gun but did hit a 99 with it once. Won my first CT State Shoot Junior and Class D with it in 1981 with a 191x200 at Lordship. The singles championship happened to be my 15th birthday and my first "junior" event. (I won sub junior on prelim day with it, too)

That 870 was my primary shotgun for one year and was retired when I switched to the 1100 in the summer of 1981. But, I love, it, still take it out for a round now and then, and it often rides as a back up to my 1100s.

18. Billster

Billster TS Member

1962 - I was 12. My dad bought a new Mossberg 500 (the year it was introduced methinks) and while at Fritz's Guns and Ammo he bought me a used Mossberg 16ga. bolt action. We'd ride up to Remington's Lordship Trap/Skeet range in Connecticut twice a month for trap shooting. Remington was handing out the yet-to-be introduced 1100 to shooters just to put rounds thru it and test it. Don't remember what happened to the 16 bolt action but I still have the 500 with skeet and trap barrels as well as his o/u. Dad dropped dead in '69 so his o/u and 500 have special meaning to me....especially now since I've gotten back into trap.

Bill Stengel

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

16 ga. Stevens/Browning pump. Mod choke. 1st trap gun BT99.

Gerald

20. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

My first shotgun was a 16 guage Ithaca SXS that my grandfather bought for himself when he was 12 years old from the Sears Roebuck catalogue. He said he paid $12.00 for it. I still have it today, but it needs restoration.

My first trap gun was a Nikko Shadow that my parents bought me for Christmas in 1973. Had a rib like an aircraft carrier flight deck. I still take it out to shoot doubles occasionally. My son broke his first 25 straight with it when he was 12.

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.