1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

YOUR FAVORITE UNION STORY..

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

A few years ago there was a GM steering gear plant 40 miles away.. I personally know a man who worked there for several years, one day he opened a convience store and ran it himself, I figured he had quit his job so one day I asked if he like working for himself or GM better.. I work for both.. he said.. come to find out he was being paid $925 a week not to come in.. this went on for at least 3 years until he took a big buyout..

I spoke with a guy once who had a couple of machines that made stretch wrap, he bought them at auction from a out of business union shop, the union workers sabotaged the machines so bad they were almost scrapped.. he contracted with the original owner who helped him get them up and going, the original owner went bankrupt when the union came in and would only run so many feet per week of stretch wrap then they sat around till payday.. when new owner got the machines working they would run more in 1 day than the union would let them run per week..

We had a hose pipe factory move here from Ohio several years ago trying to escape the union, when word got around the union was trying to come in the owners said if it does we are closing the plant.. it came in, the plant closed the next day..

We have a Torrington ball bearing factory in our town.. a customer (i'm thinking John Deere) was having a issue with some bearings, a engineer flew out to the plant to try and resovle it, he needed a bench vise to clamp the bearing in, oh.. we are not allowed to use any tool in this factory without getting a union man here to do it, by the time I fill out the request, it goes through all the channels and we get some one here it will be 3-4 days.. the engineer walked out and flew back home..

2. Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler TS Member

I like your stories, seems as though they all have a pattern. I think my favorite Union story involves the lack of knowledge and tunnel vision that the Union instills in their members. I can only hope these people wake up, get informed, and make an educated decision by themselves and not always do what the Union tells them too.

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I have another story. I can personally testify to hard working family members that were falsely accused and fired and the union got their jobs back. I know 3 women that were sexually harrassed and the because of the union they were compensated. BUY UNION MADE

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

BLCloud, Your stories really sound good, but let's see the source of your stories.

Yours may or may not be true, but without sources they are merely hearsay.

How about this for a union story.

Before unions came in at the Ford plants, if you went to the bathroom, the boss could come into your stall and make you stand up to see if you actually were going to the bathroom, and if you had nothing in the stool, they would/could fire you.

Or how about when the companies worked kids and adults alike for 16 hours a day before the unions came in and got it down to an eight hour day, which I'm sure you forgot to thank them for.

Hauxfan!

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I am 29+ year member of the rural letter carriers union. if there had not been a union in my office when I first started, it would have been an impossible place to keep a job. The postmaster was a tyrant and a lunatic. He would have liked to run it like his own little kingdom, replete with his own made-up laws and rules. He actually tried to order me to write up an essay for him on how to go fishing, one day.[he wanted to start a new hobby]. I live in GM country and I see and hear how labor unions have taken advantage of contractual situations. There is also the other side of the coin, where management can take advantage of people who are stuck in a bad job.

6. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

As a union member I can say that I'm proud of the hard work that I do. My job doesn't allow for the "lets put it off till tomorrow" mentality. There are good and bad points to be said about unions just like there are good and bad about non-union workers. As with anything it's what you put into it is what you get out. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I was an 18yr old skinny kid that served a grueling apprenticeship under old school hard nosed masons, After proving they could not kill me as a tender, I learned a skilled trade, and how to provide for my family in return for VERY hard work. (Never recieved a paid day off or any vacation time}. If it rains, no pay. Too cold no pay.} no work- drive to where some is.

We all don't vote demoncrat.
    Bricklayers local 1

8. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Good point. Cement Masons Local#592. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

9. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Goldie, I work in the concrete business and we don't have time for people who don't work or can't learn. Pure and simple. Have gone round and round with my BA's and apprentice instructers that half of them should be asking "would you like to supersize that". Just like everywhere else. Majority rules. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

10. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Gold ex, the building trades aren't like that- the POS becomes self evident in a short time, and don't usually work much..and we don't all vote Dumbocrap , either.. I had 40 years of no paid vacations/holidays/rain days/snow days etc. I put 3 kids thru college(no loans) and 2 of them thru Masters programs on Union construction wages. Thank some union guy or girl for your pension, 401, sick days personal days, vacation etc. because you employer wouldn't give them to you unless he was forced to by "well, they got it, so give it to me".

Larry Novak -Sheet Metal Workers Local 73 Chicago, Cook and Lake Counties, Ill.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

In the Bricklayers union, one small mistake can get your final check right on the scaffold.(forman carries company checks for on the spot fireing}. No place to hide for slackers.

Miss a day, turn out shoddy work, don't keep up with the pace, your gone.

The Company has total contol over who works and who don't. Union has nothing to do with hiring or job protection in Skilled trades.

In this economey, I feel for the young man coming up that is not school material, Don't they deserve a chance through hard work? Most of my Nephews are in, or heading to the Military for answers.

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Unions have done alot of good for the country, and also some bad. I organized for the Operating Engineers at the Bureau of Engraving at Fort Worth, when I worked there for a Fed contractor, they were the sorriest bunch of A holes I ever worked for but I learned so much about labor laws while doing it.
    #1 if you work in a right to work state and don't have a union representing you, you are at the mercy of your employer.
    #2 If you're not represented by a union, you can be fired for any reason, and if you let me follow any person around for 8 hrs I will come up with a list of reasons to fire someone and they will not be able to get unemployment

Now I'm sure that some will tell me I'm wrong, but I spent 3 yrs doing it and many days in Federal court trying to stop management from firing someone because management had messed up and they needed a scape goat

The contactor finally went union when they found out that they would get paid more from the gummit if they went union, but I had already quit

13. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Sabotage and intentional damage to a machine isn't just a bad union or non/union worker, its criminal, was anyone prosecuted or charges filed?

I would venture to say you will find more stories about idiots in management of large companies, and the post office, especially. How some people in management get and maintain their jobs, receive a golden parachute or buyout is perplexing. Case and point, look at the CEOs and upper level management of banks, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and brokerage firms. Just because government says its okay to give a 100% to 125% financing doesn't mean that you should put your stamp of approval on it. This country needs to re-learn what personal responsibility and accountability means on all levels.

John E.

14. spritc

spritc Active Member

GM is closing a stamping plant in Indy. A guy says he will buy the plant, but the workers have to take a significant cut in wages. Union members vote no to taking the cut. GM is going to close the plant.

15. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Haux, only one of them was hearsay.. if I was going to make up a story it would be something like the the shop my uncle worked in where you could take off anytime you wanted to for a couple of days and someone would punch your time card for you.. oh.. wait a minute.. that did happen.. sorry..

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Another Building and Trades worker here (Operating Engineers Local 234)

Its people like GoldEx who scrounge around and maybe find one example and say all union members are like that. Of course any example they produce is either years old or hearsay.

There are a lot of hard working UNION and NON-UNION people out there. Spreading your comments only shows the rest of us that your parents failed at raising decent children.

So by the same example do all business owners (large and small) run their business like Enron or some of the Wall Street giants? Maybe they are like the small business owner here in my hometown who cheated all of his employees out of a weeks pay, buried 20, 55 gal. drums of hazardous material and refused to tell the state environmental agency where and left town owing the city back taxes plus the cost of cleaning-up the mess at his little factory.

Bill

17. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You don't have to be in a union to have someone punch your time card for you. That happened all the time in lots of places..

My dad is a Union Carpenter and if you didn't bust your butt you were on the next train smokin and didn't get called back. There are plenty of Unions out there that do good. Unions also have apprenticeship programs. Unions carved out the middle class. They did a whole lot of good. Some did a whole lot of bad. There are bad apples everywhere you go.

18. Fox32

Fox32 Member

WWW.UNIONFACTS.COM

19. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

USWA Local 1010 working at Arcelor/Mittal Steel, formerly Inland Steel, served a 4 year Mill Mechanic apprenticeship including 3 1/2 years at Prarie State, hired in 1976, retired with full benefits including health care in 2006 at age 48.
    Would I do it again, no way, unless youve been in a Steelmill (I worked most of my time in a BOF) you have no idea. This last summer they were showing Firemen fighting a fire and talking about how hot it was, well the furnace taps at 2800 F and that fire never goes out.

20. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

PARKERGUY.........I can trade websites with you all day. One thing about the internet, you can find a website to backup anything you want people to believe. Take your choice!

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.