1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite slug recipe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ahab, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of slugs made with the Lee 1 0z mold.

Looking for some of your favorite recipes using either Federal or remington hulls.

Thanx

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Gave up on the Lee. It shot fairly well but not well enough. Bought two Lyman moulds, both "sabot style", one in 12, the other in 20. Am very impressed with them so far, getting two to two and a half inches at fifty yards with my kid's 20 ga. Mossberg and my Hastings barreled 870. Just traded for a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter and will try the 12s on Monday. So far, the best results have been with a Winchester once fired AA hull in 12, field hull in 20, and Universal Clays behind a AA wad i n 20, a 12S3 wad in the 12. Trick is to use once fired hulls so you have a good firm crimp. I expect the Ultra to cut groups in half and am going to sight it in at 50 and then target at 100. I'll use Hornady SSTs as control rounds.

A recurring problem with the Lee slugs was about one in ten would give me a squib....primer moving the whole "ejecta" out of the shell and not igniting the powder..a real mess. Have not had that happen with the Lymans. This was with Lee's recommended fold crimp. (It never happened with a roll crimp-- but it is hard to get a uniform roll).

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have had good luck with the Lee slug. Rem.STS case, 26 gr. Universal clays. Win primer, Win. WAA12F114 wad, fold crimp. Lee 1 oz slug.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you roll crimp with a electric drill.. you can make a very respectable crimp on just about any hull.. The Winchester AA's do extremely well.. as do Federal paper..

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

They are pretty good in spaghetti sauce
    [​IMG]

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Hey Calvin, ever try "I can't believe it's not slug"? It's actually both cheaper and better for you.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have yet to see a recipe that can improve on Remington 2-3/4" Sluggers from a smoothbore barrel with a mod choke. I'm getting three inch groups at 100 yards from a rest. Don't try it with cylinder bore or IC, the groups open up badly.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I must have missed that ..what aisle would that be in Tron?

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

You are right about choke Brian. The Remington sluggers wobble around at the muzzle with any thing more open than modified. The Winchester fosters work wonders in my Remington 1100 smooth bore slug barrel though. My buddy won our state games slug contest with the Winchester foster types in his smooth bore 1100 slug gun with rifle sights. He beat out guys with rifled barrels and scopes. The other guns were obviously more accurate, but it was an offhand contest and a steady eye and hand will win every time.88 meters offhand is pretty tough. Especially when the slugs kick the snot out of you.

10. JTEA

JTEA Member

When they changed our laws in south east PA and required shotgun only, I went through a series of barrels / loads. If you get more interested in slug reloading I would recommend checking:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=00MSLUG

PB is a highly recommended powder for slug loads, I have used it with a number of different recipes.

JT

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

ESCARGOT IN WINE

1 (4 oz.) can escargot, drained
    1/4 c. red wine
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
    1/2 c. butter
    2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
    1 tsp. tarragon
    2 tbsp. chives

Marinate escargot in wine and seasonings - at least 2-3 hours.
    Place escargot in shells. Spoon in wine mixture. Marinate.

Press 1 teaspoon butter (softened) over opening of shell. (This seals in the escargot.)

Place in baking pan. Bake in 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until bubbly.

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Dump salt on 'em and watch the squirming!! Personally, I go for Pepperoni & Mushroom Pizza!

AndyH ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.