1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite shooting glasses lense color?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Citori Shooter, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi guys(no offense ladies),I would like to know what your favorite shooting glasses lense colors are;sunny day,overcast,evening and under the lights?Personally,I have must have a red deficiency in my eyes because I usually use vermilion the most in the sunny or overcast daylight and early evening switching to clear or pale yellow under the lights.Recently while at the Cardinal Classic in Ohio I tried a color called bronze glow by Post 4 optics and found I liked it as well as or better than my tried and true vermilion.(My wife actually got me interested in the bronze glow since I have always shyed away from bronze lenses but was surprised by the contrast they offered me).Anyway,what's your best colors?...Also,is there any lense that can help with the sun glare coming off the gun while shooting.Thanks.

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I also have a red/green color deficiency, and the vermillion work great for me. I also have purple and amber. The purple seem to work best during cloudless days, and the amber work well when it's cloudy.

Overall though, the vermillion work best for me. It would be interesting to try out bronze. Sounds interesting.

Best,
    Dennis

3. laura!

laura! Member

vermillion.

I think Ranger offers polarized lenses - they'd work for the rib glare.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

sunny days I like the ranger engineering CMT for sunny bright days. I also have a old pair of green lense shooting glasses. I then tend to lean twards the yellow/light yellow lenses for over cast and night.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My two favorite lenses are vermillion and neutral gray.<br>
    <br>
    Vermillion provides a lot of contrast, and it makes red, orange and especially the flourescent versions of them stand out boldly. I like them for clay sports, because they make the clay stand out. The only drawback is when the sun is going down and the clay blends in, but, then, it's nearly as bad with any other color. Better to wait under those conditions until after sunset. In the field, vermillion makes the vests of other hunters stand out. When I rode herd on my son for pheasant hunting, I was able to instantly spot other hunters in the field, even though to the naked eye some of their red vests had faded until they appeared brown. And it really helps with contrast for other hunting, like coyotes and deer.<br>
    <br>
    I like neutral gray for very bright conditions. It just makes the scene much easier to view, without visually overloading your eyes. This would be snow and light colored desert areas under naked sunlight.<br>
    <br>
    I am NOT a fan of yellow lenses. They have, ever since I was a kid, given me a headache and eyestrain. Ticks me off that all you can get at many sporting goods shops anymore are yellow and clear.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ranger CMT for the Orange Targets on bright sunny days. Recently had Morgan cut me a pair of Brown Polarized for hunting. Partly sunny/overcast, light purple. Night under lights... Medium Yellow.

Jay

7. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I use a mid orange for everything. Blue blocker eliminates squint in the bright sunlight, while at the same time brightening orange and green if it's cloudy.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Decot's V-Lite Rose for bright days, and Light Target Orange for the overcast days works very well for me.

Prescription with the small bifocal in Hy-Wyd frames.

9. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

best lens for seeing target i have found was from Hidalgo glasses in Hidalgo, Tx. They call it a contrastor lense, and is made particularly for pilots. To my understanding it is a rayban bronze nr2 with a blue blocker. It does not alter the color of objects that are seen but does make orange, red, yellow and green colors stand out particularly well. It really does cut out haze and seems briter than most other colors. I have been using post IV bronze but know that the contrastor lense does a better job. just wish I could find one of our major shooting lens co's (Decot PostIV Ranger) that made a comparable lense.

Bob

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Bob:

Speak to Wayne Morgan at Morgan Optical about the polarizing lenses he cuts for the Rangers, have to imagine he or Harold could work something up special for you.

Jay

11. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I use Ranger vermillion or Purple depending on the day. So far it has worked out fine for me...

KK

12. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Light purple for most days dark brown for really sunny days.

13. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

I use polarized vermillon for sunny and cloudy days and 10% gold for night shooting. Happy shooting.

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I prefer clear shooting lenses over all the other 4 colors I have that I seldom, if ever, use. Clear just seems to always work the best for me and makes the target much easier to see and concentrate on......Just my experience......Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Post 4 Optics Violet Glow for orange or Kiwi Glow for green targets.

I've got several other colors, but seem to have settled on the these two.

Jim

16. atashooter

atashooter Member

I use the dark vermillion Decot

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

vermillion, one light one dark.

18. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Thank you for all the input.I certainly am going to try a set of polaroid lenses.I did try the CMT lenses from Morgan Optical but they did not work for me.The violet glow sounds like it's worth a look and so does the kiwi glow for green targets but the ranges I shoot at only throw orange targets.Thanks again,Bill.

19. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

I personally like the Decot V-Lites in different degrees of shade depending on lighting. I also use Light Target Orange for low light conditions. Under lights, I use Gold 15's.

My suggestion is to find out when the manufacturers of the glasses you like will be at a shoot and visit them there. They will have lenses for you to try and then you will be able to get the right ones. They understand the science of lens color and how your eyes react with it. Blue eyes need darker shades than brown. Try all the colors and then decide.

Gene

20. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I am color blind on some shades of green.

Ranger glasses from Harold Morgan. Vermillion for sunny days, sunset orange for cloudy days and night shooting.

Dr. Honk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best color shooting glasses for cloudy days
favorite shooting glasses
is bronze a good lens color for trap skeet shooting
lense color overcast trap shooting

shooting glasses for cloudy days

shooting glasses lens color when overcast
shooting lens color for overcast
which color shooting glasses for cloudy days